Holland America port changes in October

WORLDBYSEA4ME

What port have they added? Kusadasi, (for Ephesus), I presume.

This is discussed regularly on the HAL board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

A judgment call on safety is always being made. Kusadasi has not been impacted much by the issues in Turkey.

I don't know that I could say Albania is a "new, popular place"- it is a substitute for the various Turkey ports that are VERY popular.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Perhaps Holland America is responding to complaints from customers who would rather visit Turkey, as well as (I'm sure) continuing assessments of the safety of travel in the region.

Personally, having been to Turkey (multiple times/places) and Sarande, I'd pick Turkey every time. The city of Sarande is not picturesque (to put it very nicely). It's most redeeming feature is the nearby UNESCO site of Butrint -- which is great if one is interested in late Roman ruins, which I am. But there's not much else there, especially if you plan to stay in the city.

Edited to add: The reason Sarande is newly popular is that, with cancellation of Turkish ports, cruise lines have been hard pressed to find a port of call outside the EU in order to not charge VAT tax onboard for everything. Turkey satisfied that requirement, but other possibilities in the vicinity are limited. (Kotor is another option that is 'newly popular' for the same reason, but likely it doesn't work as well with your itinerary....)

Edited by cruisemom42

Our HAL cruise in April was originally scheduled to go to Istanbul and Kusadasi. Both were cancelled and replaced with Rhodes and an extra day in Athens.

We have also been to Sarande, Albania last year.

We would much rather have your complaint and be going to Turkey.