Cabin selection

Oceanboy1

Hi we have just booked our first cruise Viking Caribbean Explorer Jan 2018

The sales person has convinced me that as a new cruiser a mid ships cabin on deck 4 would be good in case of motion sickness. I noticed that the cabin number he has allocate is above the Tenders. I asked if the tenders hung out of the ship and would they be visible he said no they were inboard.

I have noticed however from photos they are only partially inboard.

Should I be concerned about limited views

Thanks

I would be concerned. By the way these are lifeboats , not tenders. Sometimes a lifeboat is used as a tender but usually the tenders come from the port and they are not kept on the ship. Tenders take passengers from the ship to the port when there is no pier for the ship to tie up to.

What makes you think you might be seasick? Very few actually get seasick- if a lot did, no one would cruise! The best place to be if you know you'll be seasick is as low as you can go with a cabin in the middle of the ship. Think of a metronome-the top swings back and forth while the middle bottom hardly moves at all.

You have plenty of time to change cabins. Get a cabin above the lifeboats in the middle of the ship and you'll be fine.Look at the floor plan of the ship on line. We like cabins near the elevators that go up the area we spend the most time on. We have been on 100+ cruises and have never heard an elevator.

If you think might get seasick buy pressure bracelets that you can get in a drug store and buy Bonine or other seasick meds and just take them with you in the unlikely case you get seasick.

Just do not think about getting sea sick at all, I am sure you won't.

All tenders are lifeboats, but not all lifeboats are tenders. Yes, the larger lifeboats on a ship are called tenders, and used as such.

From Pictures I see, and deck plans, I do not believe the lifeboats extend beyond the side of the ship. Go to http://www.cruisedeckplans.com and look at the ship pictures. Choose the Drag it Deck option to drag your deck over the lower deck, matching up stairwells/elevators. You can see that they do not.

For more information and advice about Viking Ocean, go to the Viking forum here at CC, under Cruise Lines P-Z. EM

Sometimes a lifeboat is used as a tender but usually the tenders come from the port and they are not kept on the ship.

I am not sure this is true. We have been on 20 cruises...I can only think of 3 ports the tenders came from the port. Santorini, Half Moon Cay and Port Douglas, Australia. All other tender ports- at least 20 more in our experience- the tender has been provided by the ship's lifeboats.

I am not sure this is true. We have been on 20 cruises...I can only think of 3 ports the tenders came from the port. Santorini, Half Moon Cay and Port Douglas, Australia. All other tender ports- at least 20 more in our experience- the tender has been provided by the ship's lifeboats.

I'll add Cabo San Lucas and Catalina Island to your list of port provided tenders. This is true for Carnival.

Last time in Cabo, Princess used a combination of both port and ship tenders.

Ship tenders are usually the lifeboats that are taller than the others.

I'll add Cabo San Lucas and Catalina Island to your list of port provided tenders. This is true for Carnival.

Last time in Cabo, Princess used a combination of both port and ship tenders.

Ship tenders are usually the lifeboats that are taller than the others.

I have been to both...you are right, I think we used a mix of both types of tenders on one of our several stops at Cabo.

Have been to Catalina twice. I recall only ship's tenders there.

Carnival uses port tenders in Catalina. Used to use the water taxis, now they're using the old Catalina ferries. The two ferries hold 270 and almost 400 pax. They are Roll on/roll off and have bathrooms.

Don't forget Grand Cayman and Belize. Once our ship let us off at the pier in St. Thomas then had to leave the pier and anchor off it. We had to tender to get back on ship in St. Thomas! None of tenders were lifeboats except in St. Thomas where they really have no tenders.

It is beginning to look like some cruise lines make a policy of using local tenders. We haven't been to Belize, but we have been to Cayman, (X3) and used ship tenders, not local.

I still question the ability to say that usually tenders are local, and not the ship's.

Hi we have just booked our first cruise Viking Caribbean Explorer Jan 2018

The sales person has convinced me that as a new cruiser a mid ships cabin on deck 4 would be good in case of motion sickness. I noticed that the cabin number he has allocate is above the Tenders. I asked if the tenders hung out of the ship and would they be visible he said no they were inboard.

I have noticed however from photos they are only partially inboard.

Should I be concerned about limited views

Thanks

I tried to look up the deck plans for Viking Explorer and Caribbean Explorer - do not exist. What is the name of the ship?