Can you rent bikes in San Juan, Puerto Rico? Know of any bad neighborhoods?

marcypett

We're booked on Harmony 9/23 for family of four. We bike as a family and thought it would be fun to explore the island on our own if we could rent bicycles off the port. I saw there is an RCCL excursion but it says 10 years old minimum age and DD is 8 yo. We normally do 6 miles and that trip is 12 miles and you have to follow a tour group when we'd like to do our own thing.

Does anyone know if you can rent bikes in San Juan port?

If so, are there any neighborhoods that are not as safe we should be aware of and avoid?

Thanks for any help!

Old San Juan is very walkable but not very bikeable.

The streets are very narrow and clogged with traffic, to the point that even on a bike it would be difficult to filter forwards.

There are also a lot of hills and cobbles.

New San Juan is different, but has less to do and see as a tourist.

We're booked on Harmony 9/23 for family of four. We bike as a family and thought it would be fun to explore the island on our own if we could rent bicycles off the port. I saw there is an RCCL excursion but it says 10 years old minimum age and DD is 8 yo. We normally do 6 miles and that trip is 12 miles and you have to follow a tour group when we'd like to do our own thing.

If so, are there any neighborhoods that are not as safe we should be aware of and avoid?

Thanks for any help!

Do a search here. You may find an answer to your question. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

We've been to San Juan at least 5 times and I've never seen anyone riding a bike in OSJ (not even a local) nor have I seen a place that rents them. We've walked all over the town. Narrow streets, sidewalks aren't wide and meant for pedestrians. There are also several steep and winding roads. It would not be an enjoyable experience at all.

Edited by BND

La Perla is to be avoided, but then I don't even know how you would accidentally get down there.

OSJ has such narrow streets that at times my broad shouldered husband was in danger from passing side mirrors on cars. Even the broader streets aren't broad. I would not bicycle in OSJ. I don't think my bicycling friends would either.

I wonder where the excursion goes? It really cannot be inside of OSJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've been to San Juan at least 5 times and I've never seen anyone riding a bike in OSJ (not even a local) nor have I seen a place that rents them. We've walked all over the town. Narrow streets, sidewalks aren't wide and meant for pedestrians. There are also several steep and winding roads. It would not be an enjoyable experience at all.

Also should be to mentioned that it's always been very hot and humid when I have been there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

La Perla is to be avoided, but then I don't even know how you would accidentally get down there.

You are right... Every time we go by LaPerla there is a police there who warns us.

Thanks for any help!

The same bike rental outlet that does RCL excursions will also rent bikes out to the public privately. It's about 8 blocks west of the pier when you get of Harmony, or simply take a very short or quick taxi

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/rent-the-bicycle/

Google map it... it's quite close to the pier

DSC02018_zps6014b9b3.jpg

San Juan now has a great bike route all the way from Condado, along the ocean all the way to Old San Juan's San Cristabol Fort. See the green path below

P1111633_zpsttdd1puv.jpg

Condado itself is great to bike around! You can stop at the Beach, shop, lunch, etc. And the entire Lagoon is a path full of bikes/joggers/etc. On the way back you can follow Avienda Juan Ponce De Leon right outside the Senate Building and tour the "Street of Presidents"

JUst an fyi, the bike "tours", which I've done, do not do Old San Juan either... just way too much traffic and liability with the cobblestone, it's a major disaster waiting to happen for any bikers.

Have a great cruise! :D

Be aware that Old San Juan is all cobble stone streets and riding a bike on them would not be my idea of fun.

Lol

OP, read some online self-guided tours, the area is very walkable. Without a bike, you can go into places without worrying about it getting stolen, and they're tricky with all the traffic and tiny sidewalks in town. Helmets recommended for sure, and of course, exploration distance will be greater on 2 wheels.

Outside the port, we turned left, and followed the coast, covering spots like the Governor's residence, up to the old fort Castillo San Felipe del Morro, walking back towards town and checked out other areas like the 2nd oldest Cathedral in the Americas (Bautista), and a local art gallery.

Lots to see I didn't post here. Have a great time either way!

32524666722_a383fc5329_c.jpg

32636695836_7035b169ee_c.jpg

31865132843_e5abc8607d_c.jpg

31834404294_d3b71a6a1b_c.jpg