Couple of luggage valet questions

velmasue

We have never had opportunity to use luggage valet, but will get that choice (I hope) on our upcoming Harmony cruise. We recently cruised Princess and I noticed on their flyer that there was no extra charge from the airlines for over 50 lb. luggage? We spent a night in FLL after the cruise so didn't use the service. My husband and I will only have 1 bag each to check in.

My questions:

1. Isn't it possible for just one of us to utilize the luggage valet option and check in both bags (flying SW so both bags are free with airlines)? I realize the other would need to get boarding pass from airport or show on phone. Therefore, paying only one fee to RCCL?

2. Does anyone know if there is an overweight charge? Both bags are close to the 50 lb. limit.

Thanks.

I don't know anything about luggage valet but if you are flying Southwest and you did the "Early Bird" you wouldn't need to manually check in. You would just have to stop at a counter and pickup your boarding pass unless Southwest has an electronic boarding pass via their smart phone app?

If any of the above is true, then I think that would potentially mean you could do what you are asking regarding doubling up the bags.....?

We have never had opportunity to use luggage valet, but will get that choice (I hope) on our upcoming Harmony cruise. We recently cruised Princess and I noticed on their flyer that there was no extra charge from the airlines for over 50 lb. luggage? We spent a night in FLL after the cruise so didn't use the service. My husband and I will only have 1 bag each to check in.

My questions:

1. Isn't it possible for just one of us to utilize the luggage valet option and check in both bags (flying SW so both bags are free with airlines)? I realize the other would need to get boarding pass from airport or show on phone. Therefore, paying only one fee to RCCL?

2. Does anyone know if there is an overweight charge? Both bags are close to the 50 lb. limit.

Thanks.

Yes, just one can take advantage of the LV, but as you said, the other person will have to get their boarding pass either online or at the airport.

If SW charges an overweight fee, that will be applied and will show up on your SeaPass Account.

I don't know anything about luggage valet but if you are flying Southwest and you did the "Early Bird" you wouldn't need to manually check in. You would just have to stop at a counter and pickup your boarding pass unless Southwest has an electronic boarding pass via their smart phone app?

If any of the above is true, then I think that would potentially mean you could do what you are asking regarding doubling up the bags.....?

As long as you are flying on a participating airline and your flight leaves after a certain time (this is determined by airport) LV is leaving your bags outside of your stateroom the night before and picking them up at your final destination. Boarding passes are printed and given to you on the ship so that when you get to the airport, you can go directly to the TSA checkpoint.

The fee for this service is $25 per person and is waived if booked in a Grand Suite or higher cabin category.

Edited by cruisenfever

It's the best value on the cruise.

You will be charged for over weight luggage on your Sea Pass. We had that happen in November on Allure. It showed up as a charge to my CC sometime after and I had to do some checking to make sure it was a valid charge.

Next time I will take my scale as I am sure the other bag was well under so it was probably just a matter of moving a couple of items.

So it was stated it's $25.00 per person. My BFF and I are hoping to use this service as our flight isn't until 6 that evening. Would be better off to claim one of us had 2 bags and the other had 0? We could then split the $25.00 rather than paying $25.00 each? Just making sure I understand this correctly.

Is Luggage Valet available on the Freedom out of FLL?

We used it in 2016 in FLL on Independence, but I have heard conflicting reports that it is now only offered for Oasis class.

I would appreciate if someone could clear this up for me.

Is Luggage Valet available on the Freedom out of FLL?

We used it in 2016 in FLL on Independence, but I have heard conflicting reports that it is now only offered for Oasis class.

I would appreciate if someone could clear this up for me.

Just used LV on Freedom last week; available for flights out of both FLL and MIA.

The flier specifically stated that there would be no overweight baggage fees if one used LV. Both our bags were under the limit, so didn't get a chance to test this out

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 year later...
How do you get the rental car at the port

If you are asking about Port Everglades, there are a number of agencies near the port that have free shuttles between the cruise terminals and the rental offices:

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel

Avis/Budget/Payless at 2520 Miami Rd.

Sixt further up 17th.

Thrifty/Dollar just out Western port exit.

Just used LV on Freedom last week; available for flights out of both FLL and MIA.

The flier specifically stated that there would be no overweight baggage fees if one used LV. Both our bags were under the limit, so didn't get a chance to test this out

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting about the overweight charge - wonder if that is something new.

Flier/information provided used to say overweight charges were the responsibility of the airline and could be posted to your Seapass card.

RC doesn't know what type of ticket you are flying on and therefore couldn't charge you - the airline did. When I have flown first class weight limit for luggage has been different than coach. Would be good to know - my bag is usually close to the 50 pound mark and that would be the limit in coach.

Thank you for the information. It sounds like a good deal not to have to worry about retrieving luggage when we leave ship and dragging it to the airport to check in. :)

We've used it twice, once from Miami for $25 per person and once from Seattle for free. Worked like a charm both times. Highly recommended.

Interesting about the overweight charge - wonder if that is something new.

Flier/information provided used to say overweight charges were the responsibility of the airline and could be posted to your Seapass card.

RC doesn't know what type of ticket you are flying on and therefore couldn't charge you - the airline did. When I have flown first class weight limit for luggage has been different than coach. Would be good to know - my bag is usually close to the 50 pound mark and that would be the limit in coach.

We used the valet service several years ago while on Celebrity. The charge was $25.00 per bag. Service was well worth it!! No overweight charge fee and my bag was tagged at 58 lbs. I don't know how they could charge it to your seapass when the airline doesn't get the bag until after your seapass has been closed out.:confused:

So it was stated it's $25.00 per person. My BFF and I are hoping to use this service as our flight isn't until 6 that evening. Would be better off to claim one of us had 2 bags and the other had 0? We could then split the $25.00 rather than paying $25.00 each? Just making sure I understand this correctly.

Yes, it would be better if one of you put both bags under their name. You are thinking correctly.

I always check in on my own any way so getting the boarding pass separately is not that big a deal.

We used the valet service several years ago while on Celebrity. The charge was $25.00 per bag. Service was well worth it!! No overweight charge fee and my bag was tagged at 58 lbs. I don't know how they could charge it to your seapass when the airline doesn't get the bag until after your seapass has been closed out.:confused:

Definitely they have charged in the past and to the Seapass card. Your bags are picked up the night before and they probably work all night and off load early when the ship docks. Not sure the exact time they close out accounts, but they can make adjustments (not just with luggage valet) after the close out deadline. If someone complains about a charge and they find it was posted to the wrong account they will correct.

I was charged for a 60 pound bag. Amount was refunded when I contacted guest services. That's why I mentioned flying first class gets you a higher weight limit. Not saying they don't miss some, but it does happen. This was with Delta.

It is not worth the 12 dollar savings and have to stand in line at the airpot checkin.