Two Surprise Upgrades

indyrocks

We had a wonderful surprise this morning. Monica from Princess Cruises called to ask if we were still interested in an upgrade from a mini-suite to a full corner suite at the rear of the ship. We had received an upgrade offer in an e-mail a few months ago, but by the time we responded all the available suites were gone. Although we were a bit disappointed we were comforted by the fact that we still had "just" a mini-suite. But the rep said she'd put us on a wait-list in case anyone cancelled. Lo and behold, the unlikely happened and we got our chance less than a week before we sail. It's not necessarily cheap, but it'll be fun.

Just as I thought the call was ending, Monica noted that there is another reservation linked to ours. It happens to be my wife's newly-discovered cousin -- I'll call her "G" -- who is traveling alone. (My wife was adopted and only learned about her blood relatives last year after decades of searching. She's met a few of them during the last few months, but I've only met a couple. Three of her cousins are going on the trip with us, although only G linked her reservation to ours.) Anyway, Monica upgraded G from her balcony obstructed room to our former mini-suite at no charge. Complimentary. Free. G hasn't cruised in 20 years, so her re-introduction to cruising will be that much better thanks to Princess. We are so happy for her, much more than we are for ourselves!

So, God willing, all 7 of us will board Royal Princess in 5 days for what I pray will be a happy family event. I'm looking forward to getting to know my new cousins-in-law and their spouses. We all live in different parts of the US and this cruise offers the perfect chance to get together. And now we'll have plenty of room to host the whole group whenever we want to get together. I know it's just good business on their part but I'll still say it -- thanks, Princess!

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments, and sorry about the confusion. We've only had a similar experience once, many years ago, so I wasn't aware of the distinction between upgrade and upsell. As has been surmised, our suite will be an upsell, while G's mini is an upgrade.

Since G's original balcony cabin is now available there might be an additional bit of good news. We've been told the ship is full, so hopefully a couple that was previously wait-listed is now preparing to sail on Wednesday. The Royal Princess, along with her sister Regal Princess, were already our favorite Princess ships. I'm sure this will only strengthen that opinion.

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments, and sorry about the confusion. We've only had a similar experience once, many years ago, so I wasn't aware of the distinction between upgrade and upsell. As has been surmised, our suite will be an upsell, while G's mini is an upgrade.

Since G's original balcony cabin is now available there might be an additional bit of good news. We've been told the ship is full, so hopefully a couple that was previously wait-listed is now preparing to sail on Wednesday. The Royal Princess, along with her sister Regal Princess, were already our favorite Princess ships. I'm sure this will only strengthen that opinion.

We love the royal ...but regal is our ultimate ship

What a wonderful and kind thought. :)