Cash vs credit card in Sydney and NZ

wont like me will you lol i am a hawk :D

Before following AFL (pre Sydney swans) I would pick a side in the Grand final. I liked the Hawks as they would be regulars in the GF but mainly because of Michael Tuck, plumber, long sleeves and a real workhorse in the game.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Tuck

Before following AFL (pre Sydney swans) I would pick a side in the Grand final. I liked the Hawks as they would be regulars in the GF but mainly because of Michael Tuck, plumber, long sleeves and a real workhorse in the game.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Tuck

We are Hawks fans too but went with friends (Essendon fans) to the Essendon vs Suns game in Mackay last Sunday. It was a good game and close which kept it exciting. It's been many years since we've been to a Hawks game but might have to do that this year since we've been paid up members for many years.

I'm an Essendon member. My grandson is the 6th generation of our family to be an Essendon supporter. We will miss the 1st round match against the Hawks as we will be cruising. My husband and son are Melbourne as is my granddaughter. DIL is a Cat, SIL is a Lion as is younger grandson. So a mixed batch for us. Some rellies went to the Suns v Essendon game too and were thrilled to see the Bombers live again.

Leigh

We are Hawks fans too but went with friends (Essendon fans) to the Essendon vs Suns game in Mackay last Sunday. It was a good game and close which kept it exciting. It's been many years since we've been to a Hawks game but might have to do that this year since we've been paid up members for many years.

You really are a fan then, a real supporter.

i would get tickets as soon as i think they are selling out as some bays are down to buying single ones etc

Hawka

thanks. I was looking earlier today and saw tickets (cat 2 concourse ?) for $46. the prices you posted for Grandstand are a lot higher. I must not be thinking about this right--seems like concourse seats would be better than Grandstand.

Have to check with our friends and see if they want to give it a go, probably won't hear until tomorrow. I guess we will have to risk it.

Will it be on TV? Shown in pubs/hotels?

Thanks

ML

Have to check with our friends and see if they want to give it a go, probably won't hear until tomorrow. I guess we will have to risk it.

Will it be on TV? Shown in pubs/hotels?

Thanks

ML

Definitely shown on TV, you would need a pub that has several tvs as it may be competing with other sports.

Concourse seat would be closer to the oval but uncovered seats (open to the weather).

Definitely shown on TV, you would need a pub that has several tvs as it may be competing with other sports.

Mic

many thanks for this, very helpful.

I have been looking at the maps for the SCG. I can't figure out what public transport we should use to get there? Our hotel isn't too far away (about a 25 minute walk), very close to Museum Station. But I don't see trains that go there, or even buses. What am I missing?

ML

PS: Notice this thread has moved back to football, from credit cards! No matter what I do, we always end here :D

Mic

I have been looking at the maps for the SCG. I can't figure out what public transport we should use to get there? Our hotel isn't too far away (about a 25 minute walk), very close to Museum Station. But I don't see trains that go there, or even buses. What am I missing?

ML

PS: Notice this thread has moved back to football, from credit cards! No matter what I do, we always end here :D

Train to Central then bus to SCG.

http://www.sydneycricketground.com.au/events/transport/

Mic

ML

Aussie threads tend to wander. Much to the admins frequent distress.

Train to Central then bus to SCG.

http://www.sydneycricketground.com.au/events/transport/

Ohhh, now I get it. So, we get off at Central Station, go to Eddy Ave stand C to catch a bus (does it have a number??) and get off at Sydney Girls High School?

Sorry to be so obtuse but I can't tell if we get off at Moore park bus station or Girls HS.

Thanks--this is great because we may also go to Taste of Sydney at the SCG the first 3 days we are there.

ML

Mic

ML

ML,

Last match we went to at the SCG, we were staying close to St James Station, one up from Museum. We caught the train from St James to Central and then one of the event shuttles.

This link may help - http://www.transportnsw.info/en/tickets/tickets-opal-fares/bus/moore-park-shuttle.page?#moore-park-shuttle-tickets

Moore Park is where the SCG is situated. Eddy Avenue is the street where the main entrances to Central Station are. If you intend to use an Opal card while in Sydney, you can use the card to go on the shuttle. Return cost is $6 or you will have to purchase a return shuttle ticket before boarding at Central.

Regular visitors to the SCG may be able to help further. It is a very easy way to get there and back. Of course you could also walk, if the weather is kind enough. It is about 1.4 miles from where you are staying.

Leigh

Ohhh, now I get it. So, we get off at Central Station, go to Eddy Ave stand C to catch a bus (does it have a number??) and get off at Sydney Girls High School?

Sorry to be so obtuse but I can't tell if we get off at Moore park bus station or Girls HS.

Thanks--this is great because we may also go to Taste of Sydney at the SCG the first 3 days we are there.

ML

I think it will have Moore Park Shuttle on it or SCG I can't quite remember. If you look at a google earth map of the SCG to the left of the stadium just over the grass from Driver Avenue you will see the bus shelters where the shuttles drop off and pick up.The shuttles go very regularly.

Leigh

they dont get up there that often sadly i want to get to qld for a game but havent been able to yet, 14 yr member so far

Mic

ML

sorry on the wandering of the thread oops, on transport to the game etc when you go , my friend and i used buses no probs got the info off a driver or info booth circular quay near the cafes and after game there are two spots for buses to pick up just got to find right one to go where you got to go we lucked it and qued up in the right one for use that time that we needed for circular quay we had bought a weekly ticket to use but i think the ticket system has changed since i was there last

Same place. The school is on one side, Moore Park the other. Lots will be getting off so easy to tell.

Note with the tramline being built I believe the busway has been taken out of service.

ML,

Last match we went to at the SCG, we were staying close to St James Station, one up from Museum. We caught the train from St James to Central and then one of the event shuttles.

This link may help - http://www.transportnsw.info/en/tickets/tickets-opal-fares/bus/moore-park-shuttle.page?#moore-park-shuttle-tickets

Moore Park is where the SCG is situated. Eddy Avenue is the street where the main entrances to Central Station are. If you intend to use an Opal card while in Sydney, you can use the card to go on the shuttle. Return cost is $6 or you will have to purchase a return shuttle ticket before boarding at Central.

Regular visitors to the SCG may be able to help further. It is a very easy way to get there and back. Of course you could also walk, if the weather is kind enough. It is about 1.4 miles from where you are staying.

Leigh

Hi Leigh

Thanks, this had a little more detail in addition to the one Mic provided. I think we have it down now. I have been using google maps and earth to check out the areas we will be, they are great tools!

Same place. The school is on one side, Moore Park the other. Lots will be getting off so easy to tell.

Note with the tramline being built I believe the busway has been taken out of service.

Ok, thanks. i was thinking we could just follow the crowd :D From what I can tell, the shuttles run from Eddy Street due to the construction. Not sure where they used to run from but that's what it said at the link Mic provided.

ML

Hi Leigh

Thanks, this had a little more detail in addition to the one Mic provided. I think we have it down now. I have been using google maps and earth to check out the areas we will be, they are great tools!

Ok, thanks. i was thinking we could just follow the crowd :D From what I can tell, the shuttles run from Eddy Street due to the construction. Not sure where they used to run from but that's what it said at the link Mic provided.

ML

Morning ML, yes it is due to the construction of the tram lines. The shuttles used to run from around the corner in Chalmers Street.

Hope all goes well for your flights here. Safe trip! Enjoy your cruises and your time in Sydney.

Leigh

Morning ML, yes it is due to the construction of the tram lines. The shuttles used to run from around the corner in Chalmers Street.

Hope all goes well for your flights here. Safe trip! Enjoy your cruises and your time in Sydney.

Leigh

Hi Leigh

Thanks for this last bit and all your help. I hope you enjoy your cruise, sorry you can't be at the game with us. I will hoist a beer to you at the Crown our first night :D

ML

Leigh

I caught them from Eddy Ave a long time back to go and watch my precious Bunnies at the SCG back when they were there most weeks in the Match of the Day.

Edited by GUT2407
Typing

Hi Leigh

Thanks for this last bit and all your help. I hope you enjoy your cruise, sorry you can't be at the game with us. I will hoist a beer to you at the Crown our first night :D

ML

Thanks ML! Our first time on RCI so really looking forward to it. Glad I've been able to help in your planning of your trip to our beautiful countries.

Leigh

Thanks ML! Our first time on RCI so really looking forward to it. Glad I've been able to help in your planning of your trip to our beautiful countries.

Leigh

First time for us on RCI as well. If you ever make it to Albuquerque, post or email me--we can show you around :D

email: no-whiners at msn dot com

ML