Dinner attire - men/boys in nice shorts?

Houstonmom1

I'm half Scottish and I'm a dual citizen of Bermuda.

Will you look down on me if I wear my kilt or my Bermuda shorts in the MDR?

I think if you have one, it's mandatory on formal night. I saw a father/son do it and they were the most badass and best dressed imo (skewed because my wife is full Scot) :)

I'll add as well....why should anyone care? If your @$$ isn't hanging out of your pants/dress etc....what does it matter.

QUOTE]

The problem is Royal is not enforcing their rules fleet wide. Nor are other companies/businesses.

I have a point against me for using that " profanity ". Will YOU get away with it, or will my point be taken away?? :(

I'll add as well....why should anyone care? If your @$$ isn't hanging out of your pants/dress etc....what does it matter.

There's a difference between being slovenly and being decently dressed, and you can be nicely dressed without wearing pants (for men), especially in the Caribbbean. The dress code is a guideline, and if the staff don't feel someone is dressed inappropriately then why are we going round and round and round in circles about it?

Will I get served wearing my kilt?

Sent from my F8331 using Forums mobile app

I'm half Scottish and I'm a dual citizen of Bermuda.

Will you look down on me if I wear my kilt or my Bermuda shorts in the MDR?

DirtyDawg. I didn't see your post when I asked the same question. Remember a kilt with pants below is a skirt lol.

Sent from my F8331 using Forums mobile app

Well I don't wear my Bermuda shorts under my kilt.:)

THAT WOULD BE SACRILEGE!!!!!

And that friends is more than I have ever wanted to discuss about what another man wears under his kilt.

I'm all for kilts, someone else mentioned seeing them on board and it looking ba. I'd agree it one of the best looking and coolest formal outfits around.

Is it a good rule for a reason? Not really. It is arbitrary and just a suggestion. People openly flaunt it all the time. You aren't going to change anyones mind on it. I was on the NCL Escape two months ago and many people wore nice shorts to dinner all over. No one looked sloppy. Surely you can tell the difference between athletic wear and neat trimmed shorts? Don't be a sheep blindly following bad rules without questioning their logic. I feel a little sad that this really negatively impacts your vacation because it is so trivial and insignificant what a stranger you may see for 5 seconds is doing. Try looking at and talking to your tablemates and you won't be so bothered.

This issue, as everyone knows has been bantered about tons of time. In the end, most of us, would like it more if Royal would either enforce the dress code suggestion, or change the wording.

What that wording should be would be just as much a fun discussion and cause disagreements as well. Perhaps instead of the overall ban of 'shorts' in the MDR, it would read 'no athletic wear to be worn in the MDR during dinner hours'. Then adding 'athletic wear includes but is not limited to athletic shorts, swim attire as examples and a decision is at the discretion of management'.

Personally, I don't care, as long as what is seated at my table is clean and doesn't smell as if they just walked from the pool or beach complete with the sunscreen of their choice. But that is me.

Have fun!

This issue, as everyone knows has been bantered about tons of time. In the end, most of us, would like it more if Royal would either enforce the dress code suggestion, or change the wording.

What that wording should be would be just as much a fun discussion and cause disagreements as well. Perhaps instead of the overall ban of 'shorts' in the MDR, it would read 'no athletic wear to be worn in the MDR during dinner hours'. Then adding 'athletic wear includes but is not limited to athletic shorts, swim attire as examples and a decision is at the discretion of management'.

Personally, I don't care, as long as what is seated at my table is clean and doesn't smell as if they just walked from the pool or beach complete with the sunscreen of their choice. But that is me.

Have fun!

So, you think that banning golf shirts will help solve the problem?:eek:

Tiptoeing in to ask, I think, a legitimate question....

From RCI's website FAQ on dress code:

:

Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

AND, from the "Before You Cruise" "What to Pack" page:

Onboard attire...

Shorts, t-shirts, slacks, trousers, casual skirts, blouses and sundresses are all perfect during the day, whether indoors or out.

(then gives the dinner schedule of how many casual, smart casual, and formal nights per cruise, with the following:

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

We're going on our first RCI cruise in May and trying to decipher conflicting dress codes/suggestions is a bit mind-boggling.

Is the "Dress Code" the actual RULE, and the "suggested dinner attire" what they'd like, but as long as you meet the minimum actual dress code, you're fine? Under the Dress Code from the FAQs, sounds like pants (of any cloth/type) and a polo style shirt would be fine on casual night, and pants (again, of any type) and a button-down/button-up shirt would be fine for Smart Casual.

BUT from the "suggested attire" portion, sounds like button down/button up shirts + slacks are needed even for "casual" night, ties & sports coat for "smart casual" (and of course both say suit or tux for formal night).

Help? If we go with the FAQ version will that be sufficient?? My kids own one pair of slacks each, and the 2 older boys have suits, but none of them (even my husband) have sports coats. Strictly adhering to the suggested attire means I'll need to go shopping.....which I'll do if need be, we are the type that likes to dress appropriately to the occasion, and will do so. I just need to know which guideline to actually follow/if I can get away with following the lighter guideline and be okay.

(Hoping there are still some folks reading and willing to respond seriously to this thread/question....)

Which ship Tex?

On the Anthem, totally honest, they won't enforce it but you'll look out of place as most men wear pants in the MDR, or MTD upstairs.

On formal night, a lot of guys wear suits, some tuxes, but again, you'd get by as long as you have a collared dress shirt+pants.

Windjammer = Walmart, almost anything goes.

Tiptoeing in to ask, I think, a legitimate question....

From RCI's website FAQ on dress code:

:

AND, from the "Before You Cruise" "What to Pack" page:

We're going on our first RCI cruise in May and trying to decipher conflicting dress codes/suggestions is a bit mind-boggling.

Is the "Dress Code" the actual RULE, and the "suggested dinner attire" what they'd like, but as long as you meet the minimum actual dress code, you're fine? Under the Dress Code from the FAQs, sounds like pants (of any cloth/type) and a polo style shirt would be fine on casual night, and pants (again, of any type) and a button-down/button-up shirt would be fine for Smart Casual.

BUT from the "suggested attire" portion, sounds like button down/button up shirts + slacks are needed even for "casual" night, ties & sports coat for "smart casual" (and of course both say suit or tux for formal night).

Help? If we go with the FAQ version will that be sufficient?? My kids own one pair of slacks each, and the 2 older boys have suits, but none of them (even my husband) have sports coats. Strictly adhering to the suggested attire means I'll need to go shopping.....which I'll do if need be, we are the type that likes to dress appropriately to the occasion, and will do so. I just need to know which guideline to actually follow/if I can get away with following the lighter guideline and be okay.

(Hoping there are still some folks reading and willing to respond seriously to this thread/question....)

This

"Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch." (No shorts is a "rule", which this thread should let you know is randomly "enforced".)

is technically the "dress code" for the MDR and specialty restaurants.

Casual, Smart Casual, and Formal are the evening "suggestions". Slacks and a collared shirt, essentially. "smart casual" shows up on the Compass, but it's hard to tell it from casual on most cruises. Formal is decidedly not, and any form of coat and tie is within the norm; there are tuxes, dark suits, kilts, sport coats, occasional military dress, etc. I won't attempt to address women's wear, as I've become convinced over the years that changing shoes and jewelry can move almost anything from one category to another (although that's a little unfair as you see women in everything from long gowns to trousers separates to sundresses).

Which ship Tex?

On the Anthem, totally honest, they won't enforce it but you'll look out of place as most men wear pants in the MDR, or MTD upstairs.

On formal night, a lot of guys wear suits, some tuxes, but again, you'd get by as long as you have a collared dress shirt+pants.

Windjammer = Walmart, almost anything goes.

Liberty, out of Galveston, heading to the Caribbean. NOT asking about them wearing shorts at dinner (I can see that's a No in both sections), just style of pants (aka, jeans vs khakis/slacks), and style of shirts (aka, polo style vs. long sleeve collared button-down shirts), whether "smart casual" requires a jacket & tie or not, etc.

We sailed on Carnival before, and remember that "for ships sailing out of Galveston, jeans are acceptable" but not sure if that carries over to Royal Caribbean or not (reading through this thread, seems like maybe yes...)

We're also debating whether to even go to the formal night or not (last time, we ate in other venues fairly often, but the kids were much younger and one was a nursing toddler, which made meal times more complicated....); DH is dragging his feet about needing a suit, but at the same time, doesn't want to miss the lobster, LOL!

This

"Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch." (No shorts is a "rule", which this thread should let you know is randomly "enforced".)

is technically the "dress code" for the MDR and specialty restaurants.

Casual, Smart Casual, and Formal are the evening "suggestions". Slacks and a collared shirt, essentially. "smart casual" shows up on the Compass, but it's hard to tell it from casual on most cruises. Formal is decidedly not, and any form of coat and tie is within the norm; there are tuxes, dark suits, kilts, sport coats, occasional military dress, etc. I won't attempt to address women's wear, as I've become convinced over the years that changing shoes and jewelry can move almost anything from one category to another (although that's a little unfair as you see women in everything from long gowns to trousers separates to sundresses).

thank you! This is helpful, and exactly what I was asking.

We will follow the "no shorts at dinner" rule, no worries. :) We will likely allow jeans as pants on casual nights, but not smart casual and certainly not formal. And my DH will be thrilled if he can get by with a nice sports coat, tie, slacks on formal night (and we'll likely skip one of them) as he doesn't own a suit (no need in his industry), but I'm hoping to talk him into a suit anyway. We shall see. Mostly he'll be thrilled that no, he doesn't have to wear a tie & coat for even the "smart casual" nights. Thank you!

thank you! This is helpful, and exactly what I was asking.

We will follow the "no shorts at dinner" rule, no worries. :) We will likely allow jeans as pants on casual nights, but not smart casual and certainly not formal. And my DH will be thrilled if he can get by with a nice sports coat, tie, slacks on formal night (and we'll likely skip one of them) as he doesn't own a suit (no need in his industry), but I'm hoping to talk him into a suit anyway. We shall see. Mostly he'll be thrilled that no, he doesn't have to wear a tie & coat for even the "smart casual" nights. Thank you!

And re-reading my post, before someone jumps in to correct me, slacks and a button up shirt, with or without tie, or a sport coat with or without tie, are also not unusual on formal nights. But a coat and tie is pretty much smack in the middle of formality.

Too bad people just can't simply follow/respect rules. Regardless of what they may let you get away with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are not rules. They are dress suggestions. Guidelines.

I don't care what other people do. It is not my problem or concern me what other people get away with or don't get away with wearing.

I will also say that often I don't agree with LMaxwell, but I think there is something to be said for not being a sheep and blindly following rules without questioning their logic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk