Dinner attire - men/boys in nice shorts?

Houstonmom1

A cruise line asks for no shorts at dinner and you feel it is perfectly acceptable to ignore that? Why would you do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I pay thousands of dollars I feel I should be allowed to be comfortable and enjoy a vacation. I do wear pants to dinner, mostly jeans except on formal nights, but I respect everyone's decision to wear what they please on their vacation. I dress up every day for work-I'd like to not have to on vacation. Like I said I do wear pants- but when I'm on my vacation-the LAST thing I'm worried about is what someone else is wearing in the dining room. My cruise is not about them. They can wear whatever they like and I wouldn't even notice as I'm usually too involved in conversation and having a great time with my SO and whomever else we may dine with.

I've never had the problem of being bored enough to rant about other passengers' clothing.

I once forgot my casual pants at home and only had shorts to wear at dinner. I tried to buy some onboard and there were none to be found. No one said anything to me but I would have been upset if they did. It was an honest mistake. Wear what you want to wear!

Hi - we have been on several disney cruises in the last few years and my husband and my two boys have always worn nice kaki short to dinner every night (and never felt awkward or out of place). We are traveling on the Liberty in March - - how acceptable is it for them to wear shorts to dinner (MTD)? Thx!

Long trousers is the dinner standard with RCL.

My husband and boys wore shorts every night on our last cruise and will do the same on our next. Except formal night. No. One. Cared.

I care.

My husband and sons have always worn long pants and shirts with a collar in the MDR, out of respect for the other people in the restaurant who want it to feel special.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi - we have been on several disney cruises in the last few years and my husband and my two boys have always worn nice kaki short to dinner every night (and never felt awkward or out of place). We are traveling on the Liberty in March - - how acceptable is it for them to wear shorts to dinner (MTD)? Thx!

We are former DCL'ers. First RCI doesn't give out lanyards, if you like using them, bring'em yourself. Second, they don't play shows or movies all day on the pool jumbotron, there is a showing on a few evenings, and they try to drill a handwashing cartoon at you every 1/2h lol. No 1st run movies or pre-screening in their theatre (we saw Frozen before it came out at home).

I found the food overall better on DCL. For instance, at buffet breakfast, there is a lot more variety in fresh fruit and yogurt/hot cereal toppings on DCL. Best brunch I ever had on DCL, Oyster Rockefeller, tons of seafood, and every meat and fancy breakfast fare you can think of, which you probably experienced at Palo. However, nothing like RCI's Chops or Izumi on DCL. Room service is free 24/7 on DCL. And it's nice when soda, special tea/coffee is included.

To answer your question, you can have the guys follow the suggestion of pants or look a little out of place as most people do wear them in the MTD.

We were on Liberty in January. Many, many people: kids, adults, men and women wearing shorts in the MDR most nights. We saw quite a few men in t-shirts as well. Even a few tank tops. They most definitely so not enforce dress codes. Personally, it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I care.

My husband and sons have always worn long pants and shirts with a collar in the MDR, out of respect for the other people in the restaurant who want it to feel special.

I never understood how something someone wears could add/detract from how "special" someone else would feel. If someone feels less "special" because someone else is wearing shorts in the MDR, then that person feeling less "special" has other issues they may want to speak to a professional about.

I care.

I don't. While I do it mainly for myself to feel a sense of pride that I'm stylish and properly dressed before dinner, once inside, my attention is solely focused on my party and the waiters make us feel special. We don't care what other guests wear as it's not something we actively notice as we dine. Good company, laughter, recollecting the day's events, all the energy is at the table.

If they asked you to board by deck number would you do it or choose to ignore it???

That's different, you directly impact on someone else's privileged time. Unless you're dressed like Borat in a mankini, it's not going to impact my eyes whether you wear shorts or pants.

Sorry...but I'm talking about all hat's...they just don't belong at the dinner table.

Shoes vs Hat's...not nearly the same thing :rolleyes:

I quote here from Chowhound:

"A statement hat, on the other hand, is perfectly appropriate in a restaurant. You should not remove it, any more than you should remove your shoes at a party: Doing either could ruin your whole look."

And:

"I'm almost happy when I see a hat ... because it means they put some thought into their outfit and they're [probably] not wearing flip-flops."

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/86342/should-i-take-my-hat-off-at-a-restaurant/#!

I quote here from Chowhound:

"A statement hat, on the other hand, is perfectly appropriate in a restaurant. You should not remove it, any more than you should remove your shoes at a party: Doing either could ruin your whole look."

And:

"I'm almost happy when I see a hat ... because it means they put some thought into their outfit and they're [probably] not wearing flip-flops."

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/86342/should-i-take-my-hat-off-at-a-restaurant/#!

Unless it's raining inside Gentlemen need to remove their hat. It's good manners!

It's not manners, it was at one time proper etiquette. Like fashion proper etiquette can change.

Unless you live in a barn it's manners. A gentlemen takes his hat off when coming inside. Good manners are ALWAYS in fashion.

It's defined as proper etiquette on that site....not manners. Etiquette is wildly varying based on time, place, and local custom. The examples are endless, but just because one (outdated and stuffy IMO) etiquette book says you should remove a hat doesn't mean that everyone sees it the same. I'm more likely to be offended by someone removing their hat than leaving it on.

I don't want to see your hat hair while I'm eating dinner.

Is it so hard to put on a pair of pants?

No, but when you are the size of my bf (linebacker build) clothes take up a lot of room in the suitcase. We usually travel in the winter to tropical destinations so he usually wears jeans on the plane to be comfortable; (don't blame him, I do too); and then brings shorts and t shirts because those are weather appropriate. We only travel with one suitcase each for a 2 week vacation or split one for a 1 week vacation; an extra pair of pants takes up the space of two pairs of shorts or two t shirts.

It's a little silly to pack an extra pair of long pants and dress shoes just for dinner. So that leaves him with jeans or shorts to wear.

If we are at home; of course it's no big deal. It's just a problem in vacation due to packaging limits.

No, but when you are the size of my bf (linebacker build) clothes take up a lot of room in the suitcase. We usually travel in the winter to tropical destinations so he usually wears jeans on the plane to be comfortable; (don't blame him, I do too); and then brings shorts and t shirts because those are weather appropriate. We only travel with one suitcase each for a 2 week vacation or split one for a 1 week vacation; an extra pair of pants takes up the space of two pairs of shorts or two t shirts.

It's a little silly to pack an extra pair of long pants and dress shoes just for dinner. So that leaves him with jeans or shorts to wear.

If we are at home; of course it's no big deal. It's just a problem in vacation due to packaging limits.

I don't fly often, but $100 for a bag is a small part of a $3,000+ vacation.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app