What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

Got my upgrade today. My bid was in the fair category . Originally booked in the family suite with balcony. Upgraded to Owner suite with double balcony , Sailing on the Dawn leaving September 8 th. We're excited !!! There still hope for those still waiting to hear. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are currently in a Mid ship balcony and made an offer for the haven but have not heard anything yet.

other people have gotten their approval emails already. The Haven is SOLD OUT on our cruise, so we are wondering why it still says "PENDING"? oh well, if it happens it happens, if not we still love our balcony room :-)

Is this just something for US passengers? I haven't heard of this for UK.

Definitely is available to the UK, I believe it was rolled out in the spring of this year...

One thing I can confirm personally is it will not matter if you book with NCL directly or a TA, the upgrade Invitation will be sent out to you, I can say that with certainty, as I booked through a TA (first time, 7 cruises!) & received the Invitation directly from NCL, via email, and 'Let's get you upgraded' is visible on myncl homepage/account also.

It's not just NCL Latitudes members that get an invite, a first timer can bid - and have success.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a high bid to succeed, judging by previous posters.

It is only an opinion, but I believe it's along the lines of cabins that are resellable to NCL, (Mid ship inside sail away) later re sold at a higher rate, depending on interest in the category, bids on cabins a grade or two higher atop of the original fee paid, and a resell profit, makes it a win win, for both NCL & bidding passengers.

Of course, it will always be ship dependant...

It's each to their own to participate or not, I find it interesting, it's definitely not as cut and dry as higher bids only win...

Anyone who reads this have any updated denied or approved bids with costs?? Really trying to plan my bid strategy!! Tyia and happy cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As the poster before you said " it's definitely not as cut and dry as higher bids only win". Also, there are lots of bid amounts in this thread you can scan back through.

The real answer is you have to bid $1 more than the next person bidding. There are so many variables. For example, assume there are 4 balcony cabins available to upgrade people to. And the top 4 bids are $500, $250, $200, $80. Without knowing the other bids, somebody paid way more. Just the way it works.

Some of the variables:

How many people are bidding.

How high some of those people are bidding, or how low.

How many of that category are available to move people into.

How many of those people might move up to a higher level.

How the current demand is for your level of cabin.

How full or not so full is the ship.

As the poster before you said " it's definitely not as cut and dry as higher bids only win". Also, there are lots of bid amounts in this thread you can scan back through.

The real answer is you have to bid $1 more than the next person bidding. There are so many variables. For example, assume there are 4 balcony cabins available to upgrade people to. And the top 4 bids are $500, $250, $200, $80. Without knowing the other bids, somebody paid way more. Just the way it works.

Some of the variables:

How many people are bidding.

How high some of those people are bidding, or how low.

How many of that category are available to move people into.

How many of those people might move up to a higher level.

How the current demand is for your level of cabin.

How full or not so full is the ship.

Correct, well stated. However this did not answer my question. Thank you anyhow.

No, you do not know until after you have "won", been assigned and charged.

Some folks can figure out the location before they bid based on the room type. Some rooms ONLY exist in certain locations - suites like OS, DOS, etc.

Right. But that poster was talking about POA which if they are talking about the OS is on at least 4 different floors all with different configurations so their comment "not the best location" doesn't make any sense unless they somehow got info about which floor the rooms were on which I haven't seen anyone post of getting that insight.

ETA: I see poster mentioned looking at what rooms were showing open which would make sense to get an idea as to what is available.

They are not telling the location on the upgrade page. But like I said over the last many weeks when I look at what's available on the NCL site (as if buying a cruise) there is one OS (8000) and one Deluxe Family Suite (9000) consistently going on and off availability. Those to me are the less desirable locations for those particular layouts (OS on 8 has a sheltered balcony, DFS on 9 has a smaller balcony than what we have on the aft now and is on the starboard side).

Seems like a long shot to sell a high price point suite within 80 days of sailing, so unless there's a lot of shuffling they are likely the ones I'd get upgraded into.

All speculation based on research and monitoring availability.

Ahh - that makes sense. I totally agree about checking what might be available. You are right about the OS on 8 - when we booked we were very picky about which one we took and we picked 12.

Good luck with the bids.

Got my upgrade today. My bid was in the fair category . Originally booked in the family suite with balcony. Upgraded to Owner suite with double balcony , Sailing on the Dawn leaving September 8 th. We're excited !!! There still hope for those still waiting to hear. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you know if you are on 9 or 10? Either way, those rooms are very nice.

Ahh - that makes sense. I totally agree about checking what might be available. You are right about the OS on 8 - when we booked we were very picky about which one we took and we picked 12.

Good luck with the bids.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm mixed on whether I'd rather have a Deck 8 OS or a Deck 9 aft corner Family Suite as we do now. Twice the square footage, both are port side (to view Napali coast) and the OS will have an extra half bath, hot tub on the deck and much nicer bathrooom. That big open FS balcony has been calling me, but all the extra space I'm sure will make me get over the semi-protected deck 8 balcony if we get it. Decided to play my luck and bid and be happy wherever we end up.

Correct, well stated. However this did not answer my question. Thank you anyhow.

True. Question was not directly answered. Folks have been posting their bids in this thread and couple of others. But - hate those buts - even with those postings, there are so many unknowns that the information will contribute little to a strategy for bidding.

Happy bidding.

True. Question was not directly answered. Folks have been posting their bids in this thread and couple of others. But - hate those buts - even with those postings, there are so many unknowns that the information will contribute little to a strategy for bidding.

Happy bidding.

agree completely. We are all just speculating as to how it really works.

no because the 'cancel' and 'modify' buttons were replaced with one green button that said 'pending' !!

Have you checked your credit card to see if there is a pending charge for the upgrade? If they have removed the chance to cancel, I would think you are getting the upgrade. Good Luck!

agree completely. We are all just speculating as to how it really works.

Even if we knew exactly how it works, nobody knows what is happening each week with different people bidding and number of cabins even available for upgrade. I sure there are some weeks that lots of folks get an upgrade for a low amount. And other weeks where people have to bid very high to win.

I think in the end, it is basically they take the number of cabins available to upgrade and then find the highest bidders for that level. Some weeks they can do it early because there are lots of cabins open. Some weeks, they have to wait until close to cruise time as higher cabins are sold out or close.

And, I would guess sometimes they see a rather high early bid based on their KNOWLEDGE of past bidding and go ahead and take it and close out that particular bid/cabin. And, if the only bids they have are on the low end, they might wait in hopes of higher bids might still come in.

The whole thing is rather slick on their part. Wonder what process them have in place to manage it? How manual vs how automated.