How much time for the Blue Lagoon?

jarand

We aren't really pressed for time, but we are just trying to figure out our day, and I could sure use some help.

What is a realistic time to set aside for arrival, check luggage, shower, dress, get in the water, do the mud mask, soak a "typical" time (whatever that is?), shower off, get dressed, and catch our transportation?

Also, we're debating between the regular package and the "Comfort" package that includes a towel (needed), drink, and algae mask for 2000 ISK more. Towel rental is 700ISK. How much does it cost to buy a drink separately? Can anyone tell me about the algae mask?

Thanks!

You could spend anywhere from several hours start to finish to all day, so I guess it depends on how long you have in Iceland and what else you want to do.

Bare minimum 3 hours. It takes longer than you'd think to check in and change, same with checking back out. If I remember correctly, check in is faster in the premium lines (fewer people.)

You'll want a towel. You can bring a cheap towel with you and leave it - have heard that tip before. Their towel is pretty thick and large, so if that's important it might be worth it to you.

They will give you flip flops that will be yours to keep. Bring extra heavy duty conditioner or hair oil. They provide bags to put a wet swimsuit in.

The algae mask is just a cup full of stuff you put on your skin. You'll get a "free" mud mask as it is.

I don't remember how much drinks were. For the price of one drink, I think it's more economical to just buy the drink.

I just bought the regular package - can't remember the price for doing - but less expensive to buy. Bring you own towel or as ljandgb is suggesting bring a cheap one.

Three hours is a minimum - also notice that driving will take time as well.

Enjoy you stay - some more videos at my Iceland Blog

[YOUTUBE]bLGcl3yKyLo[/YOUTUBE]

If you are visiting on a cruise, no reason to think about a "cheap towel." You simply take a pool towel from your ship (and make sure to bring it back). Even if you are staying in a nearby hotel, you can usually borrow a hotel towel by simply asking at the Front Desk.

Hank

We going there in February (2 weeks from now)! We were told you need 1/2 a day at the Blue Lagoon because it takes time to figure out the locker combo (apparently coded in Icelandic) and shower thoroughly as I'm told there will be an inspection to ensure you washed EVERYTHING! We bought microfiber towels from Amazon and will use them as they take up no room.

If package with attendant available, it is super. Whisked thru admission line, private dressing/ shower room, private pool with swim out to lagoon. Be sure to allow adequate time, seems like bus from city was 45-hour, admittance lines at opening were already long. Time there well spent! Do not miss! Products available for sale, nice gift shop. Credit card for everything. In fact, we had no cash whole week. Even restrooms and hot dog stand took credit cards!

The lockers are not in Icelandic. I honestly can't remember exactly how they are configured (individual keypads vs central keypad for several lockers), but they are not that hard to use. I was in and out of my locker several times that day.

You are not inspected when you leave the showers. There are attendants there to make sure you hit the showers before leaving to the pool area. There are several different locker rooms. The one I was in had 10 private stalls. You are supposed to shower naked, then put your suit on for the pool. I know almost absolutely (as sure as anyone can be about someone in a partial wall stall next to you) that lady in the stall next to me did not remove her suit and no one tackled and inspected her.

3 hours is the minimum time there, IMHO. 30 minutes to get showered and dressed for the pool, a couple hours relaxing, and 30 minutes to shower and change back.

They use very minimal chlorine, so if you don't shower prior to going into the pool you're basically giving all your germs to everyone else. Don't do that.