New Zealand currency in Australia?

Are New Zealand dollars accepted in Australia? Will have 2 days in Auckland plus cruising to several ports before going to Melbourne. So, will need some New Zealand currency. Also, any recommendations of approximately how much currency needed for time in New Zealand?

Are New Zealand dollars accepted in Australia? Will have 2 days in Auckland plus cruising to several ports before going to Melbourne. So, will need some New Zealand currency. Also, any recommendations of approximately how much currency needed for time in New Zealand?

Would you try using Mexican pesos in America?

Would you try using Mexican pesos in America?

The op's question is entirely valid.

Some countries prefer foreign currency over their own. For example a lot of people use Australian dollars in Fiji. And in Zimbabwe US dollars is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The op's question is entirely valid.

Some countries prefer foreign currency over their own. For example a lot of people use Australian dollars in Fiji. And in Zimbabwe US dollars is a must.

Agreed.

And extending from vader's question, you can certainly use American dollars in a near South American country, Ecuador. In fact it is their currency now. Nothing wrong with the question.

I agree with gut2407 - about $100 for small purchases and using your credit card for large purchases.

Make sure you use up all the coins as you cannot exchange those (unless you want to donate them to one of the various airline charities who collect foreign coins). I have a large bag of foreign coins collected over the years that I'm going to give to the qantas unicef charity when we fly down to Sydney for our next cruise. The weight will remind me to hand them over :):D:)

NZ and Australia are separate countries, with separate currencies.

You can't use one country's currency in the other country.

While I agree with your reasoning , there are numerous countries that will take US$ all over the world despite having their own currency and multiple other countries that will take Euros or GB pounds as well.

While I agree with your reasoning , there are numerous countries that will take US$ all over the world despite having their own currency and multiple other countries that will take Euros or GB pounds as well.

And cruise ships are exactly the same... well some of them.

While I would love next months onboard bill to be in New Zealand dollars.... it won't be. It'll be in US dollars even though I'm not going anywhere near the US.

Even the locally based ships are in Australian dollars which isn't my usual currency.

I have a mini United Nations of currencies to use on my trip [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes...but at what exchange rate.;);)

Agreed.

And extending from vader's question, you can certainly use American dollars in a near South American country, Ecuador. In fact it is their currency now. Nothing wrong with the question.

The currency of Panama is also US dollars, and to a very much lesser extent the Balboa.

The currency of Panama is also US dollars, and to a very much lesser extent the Balboa.

Many African countries also prefer the USD to be used whether it is small stalls or shops or tours.

In fact, even in Iceland, the tour operators preferred USD or Euros and the smaller shops would accept either, while in Norway they would accept either but preferred the NOK.

Many African countries also prefer the USD to be used whether it is small stalls or shops or tours.

In fact, even in Iceland, the tour operators preferred USD or Euros and the smaller shops would accept either, while in Norway they would accept either but preferred the NOK.

In Norway they prefer the NOK as they have to pay exchange rates to convert US$, Euros etc. they accept them because they do not want to turn away customers, tourists are their bread and butter.

In Norway, it's only a courtesy to accept foreign currency in tourist shops/tourist areas. Anywhere else and it's NOK only.

In Norway, it's only a courtesy to accept foreign currency in tourist shops/tourist areas. Anywhere else and it's NOK only.

When travelling abroad I am a tourist and as such wherever I go or get taken tends to be a tourist area. I had no issues of anyone not taking Euros or USD in Norway except for the Funicular in Bergen, CC came in handy there.

When travelling abroad I am a tourist and as such wherever I go or get taken tends to be a tourist area. I had no issues of anyone not taking Euros or USD in Norway except for the Funicular in Bergen, CC came in handy there.

Yeah, you'll get by at major places as a tourist for a day in Norway. But you wouldn't have any luck if you went to restaurants, or to supermarkets e.g if you were actually staying as a tourist for a while.

Bit different from the other places where USD is actually their currency, or readily accepted.