What size Lido tray to bring

slivers

Learning here about anti-cross contamination rules and multiple "small" plates, we're going to bring cafeteria or fast food style trays with us on upcoming Kdam cruise. Apparently other pax have done so successfully. Standard sizes seem to be 10" x 14" or 12" x 16". Any suggestions as to what size would work well? Thanks!

Never have taken a tray. Just take your plate and ask them to add to it. (Translation -don't get a bunch of plates - if you just want a pinch of this or a pinch of that, have it added on the same plate or make a few trips to the Lido if you want everything hot.)

You can also use the tray under the ice bucket ;) although we have not done that.

How is there any more cross contamination if you don't use a tray? They still put it on plates.

Learning here about anti-cross contamination rules and multiple "small" plates, we're going to bring cafeteria or fast food style trays with us on upcoming Kdam cruise. Apparently other pax have done so successfully. Standard sizes seem to be 10" x 14" or 12" x 16". Any suggestions as to what size would work well? Thanks!

I haven't tested it, so I can't tell you right size of trays to bring to a ship. During my last cruise though I was very happy about the utensils, glasses, salt & pepper and perfect mattress I brought with me.

a video I put up showing all details.

The cross-contamination issue isn't mine; it's HAL's. The rule seems to be once a plate is handed TO you, it cannot be passed back FROM you for any addition. Apparently people eat from their plates, get their fingers in them, who knows what else. So the servers will not add to your plate, but will hand you another one. One pax commented here that he dumps the additional food from the second plate into his first and hands off the empty. Sounds sloppy. Others who have brought trays on board said that the staff will actually carry them to a table as they used to do when there were ship trays. I haven't found any in dollar stores yet, but I did find packs of 5 or 6 for @$20-$23/pack at Amazon.

I haven't tested it, so I can't tell you right size of trays to bring to a ship. During my last cruise though I was very happy about the utensils, glasses, salt & pepper and perfect mattress I brought with me.

I was so shocked by this idea that I clicked through and fell for it. It totally made my day

We sometimes bring trays...ones that we bought years ago in Barbados. Take up little weight and little room in the bottom of your suitcase. Having had to cancel our Oosterdam cruise, we're driving to Florida on Sunday...and, yes, my trays are in the bottom of my suitcase! The hotel we've stayed at in Naples since 2005 post cruise serves breakfast and we enjoy taking it outside to their deck...but they don't have trays.

I have mobility issues and use a cane and a walker....a tray is very helpful to me because I can't handle things otherwise.

The initial post deals with the Lido Marketplace on Koningsdam. This buffet is different than others as it does NOT have anyplace to put a tray on at the food stations.. There are no rails or shelf to put your tray on and slide it along from one food selection to the other. I think if you do bring a tray someone is going to have to carry it for you, unless you can have the tray attached in some fashion to your walker?

bosco

We purchased a cheap tray on Amazon to grab snacks from the Neptune Lounge. I put it in a spot where it could not be easily seen and they took my tray!

I'm confused...

Or is this a joke? I'm going to think this is a joke... I can't image anyone confiscating a tray....

Edited by RMLincoln

Brilliant rickroll, the art is not dead

I read once that a person ordered room service and when they were done, they hid the tray in the closet and then used it to bring food to the room from the lido. Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm gonna have to try it out next week. :p

I read once that a person ordered room service and when they were done, they hid the tray in the closet and then used it to bring food to the room from the lido. Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm gonna have to try it out next week. :p
-

just FYI - the room service trays are very large and heavy - I think that is why some folks bring their own as they can get something a little smaller and lighter weight

I can't imagine any one bringing a tray with them on a cruise ship. We've never had a problem. The servers fill the plate up with what ever you want on it & give it to you at the end of the serving line. If you want more go back & get another plate. Must be a joke.

Allan

The initial post deals with the Lido Marketplace on Koningsdam. This buffet is different than others as it does NOT have anyplace to put a tray on at the food stations.. There are no rails or shelf to put your tray on and slide it along from one food selection to the other. I think if you do bring a tray someone is going to have to carry it for you, unless you can have the tray attached in some fashion to your walker?

There are trays that fit over the handles of a walker. Very helpful around the house when you need it, and can be used easily with the walker on a cruise.

Since help in the Lido isn't always available, it's better to have what you need in case you have to take care of yourself.

-

just FYI - the room service trays are very large and heavy - I think that is why some folks bring their own as they can get something a little smaller and lighter weight

pv girl is right; I know as I've done it. Those room service trays are not only so large they are hard to handle, they are very heavy by themselves. When you start adding plates they become almost impossible to carry.

When I saved a room service tray, the Lido manager was kind enough to exchange a smaller tray for it. Since then I have brought my own many times. I hide it in the back of the cabin closet, where my clothes cover it (should anyone look in there for some reason).

Absolutely brilliant, AmazedByCruising!!! Thanks for sharing.

Smooth sailing ...

If you don't see value in having a tray for the Lido, consider yourself fortunate.

That has got to be the kindest, most understanding, post about using a tray that I have ever read on this forum.

Thank you for "seeing" those of us who have the need. :)

That has got to be the kindest, most understanding, post about using a tray that I have ever read on this forum.

Thank you for "seeing" those of us who have the need. :)

NO ONE is saying anything against people who would have problems at a buffet without a tray.

THIS POST DEALS WITH THE KONIGSDAM WHICH WAS DESIGNED WITHOUT A SHELF OR RAILING TO PLACE TRAYS ON.

Of course there are certain times and certain circumstances that make having a tray a wonderful and needed assist to dining.

There is NO RAILING OR SHELF to put a tray on IN THIS SHIP'S BUFFET.

UNLESS you have someone hold the tray for you or have another way of holding a tray while going from food station to food station it would seem to me to be an almost impossible task.

Maybe a walker with a tray affixed or some other method, but without the old shelf or railings where you slid your tray (cafeteria style), this would still seem a difficulty.

There is always someone that will help you, it just is not wise to think balancing a tray with one or two dishes, a beverage and cutlery while using a cane or a walker is realistic.

bosco