Interactive Adventure on Celebrity express disembarkation

parkridge

We have been on the Silhouette l for its 2/5 Western cruise. Very nice but that is not the subject of this post.

Airline changes have us on a 9:40 flight to Chicago on 2/12.

Will we make it?

I thought it might be interesting to hear comments, tell you what we have done to address this problem, and provide an ongoing and real time commentary as to our 2/12 "adventures". If no one responds, I guess this not a topic of interest and that is fine.

First, we are signed up for express departure ( carrying our own bags } which is supposed to start at 7:30. Unfortunately DW heard from guest relations that this cruise has a large number of express departures so instead of lining up a bit early, she wants to be in line earlier. Thoughts on time?

We have Global Entry. Does that really help?

Best way to Fll, cab, private service ?

We have only carryons so I am expecting going directly to PreCheck

If there is any interest in our adventure, will update, if not, fair enough.

Will we make it?

First, we are signed up for express departure ( carrying our own bags } which is supposed to start at 7:30. Unfortunately DW heard from guest relations that this cruise has a large number of express departures so instead of lining up a bit early, she wants to be in line earlier. Thoughts on time?

Will you make it? Maybe, really hard to say since you are hoping to get off the ship around the time most people would be getting to the airport for that flight. A fast departure could get you off by 8, then short taxi line and no traffic could get you to the airport by 8:15-8:20. Plus security, So guess if everything goes perfectly you'll be walking up to the gate when they start boarding or just before.

Ref lining up early, if it were me, besides the fact that I would never have gotten this far without having the airline change me to a later flight; I would do whatever it took to be the first in line.

I don't think global entry will make a bit of difference.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been on the Silhouette l for its 2/5 Western cruise. Very nice but that is not the subject of this post.

Will we make it?

I thought it might be interesting to hear comments, tell you what we have done to address this problem, and provide an ongoing and real time commentary as to our 2/12 "adventures". If no one responds, I guess this not a topic of interest and that is fine.

OMG, and I thought 11:30 would be stressful, so yes want to hear EVERYTHING...[emoji4]

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

We have global entry. We are usually off with early express departure. We had no wait last time with Global Access. If everything goes right, no issues. But that is breath holdingly tight to get off ship, through customs, to airport, through security and there just in time for boarding. And get in line to disembark early.

We uber. It's been easiest and quickest for us recently.

You should be in the express disembarkation line at 6:45 or before if you want to be at the front (I'd personally go at 6:15 or 6:30). Getting there at 7:15 will typically put you behind hundreds of others. Even being at the front won't get you outside until about 7:45.

You might also check into using Mobile Passport to speed up your time through Customs. If you're at the front it shouldn't take long but this couldn't hurt.

There's a line of cabs at the port--I'd do that rather than trying Uber or booking a private service. The airport is pretty close to the port.

Research your options for later flights so you can point the airline agent in the right direction if you end up missing. You can probably make it assuming everything falls into place, but if there is a delay with Customs clearing the ship, then that could spell trouble.

Of course things can go wrong, BUT i would:

check in for flight day before

be first in line for walk off's (I would be there an hour early, ymmv)

take taxi

G/E will help at airport (not at port since you will be first through customs)

You will be at gate in plenty of time.

(once again that is without any unforeseen issues)

Typically, if airline changes time of flight, they will let you change to different flight free of charge. Depending on timing and availability of later flight you might want to check that out.

Please let us know how it all plays out.

(I am big proponent of taking early flights, so I try to make sure not to give false sense of security to others, but we have never missed early flight...and we have taken earlier flights than the one you are on!)

Have a great cruise!

Will we make it?

Give the airline a call immediately. If they rescheduled your flight and you find it unacceptable you can cancel or change to another flight at no additional charge. I had this happen to me twice this year. If the agent doesn't voluntarily fix it for you ask to speak to a supervisor.

Jim

Will we make it?

thanks , will update what happens

We have global entry. We are usually off with early express departure. We had no wait last time with Global Access. If everything goes right, no issues. But that is breath holdingly tight to get off ship, through customs, to airport, through security and there just in time for boarding. And get in line to disembark early.

We uber. It's been easiest and quickest for us recently.

thanks

Will we make it?

To those of you who asked, this is what happened:

My wife insisted we line up early express disembarkation so we were lined up on deck 3 ( one deck above the gangway) at 6:00am and yes we were the first ones there. Though others came fairly soon after that.

At the time we did disembark ( about 7:30) many people were there with the line extending out of the public area down one corridor.

This was not as bad as it sounds. We alternated taking time to have breakfast, walk around the ship, etc.

Shortly after 7:30 we were permitted to disembark. Though we were first in line, apparently wheelchair bound people were told they could gather on deck 2 using the elevator and they were the first to leave the ship. Glad Celebrity is thoughtful about such things.

We then walked to CBP and even though the Global Entry line was not open, we were used a regular lane and finished with that requirement in about 10 minutes.

I was concerned about the availability of cabs, but several were there and we were at FLL by 8:00am

Decided to check our carry on bag and just carry on our undersea bag.

Went to preCheck lane in terminal 3 and it took about 10 minutes to complete the security screening.

Arrived at gate about 45 minutes before boarding began at 9:10

Conclusion: would I do this again voluntarily, no. But at least it is possible. Key is place in line to disembark.

To those of you who asked, this is what happened:

My wife insisted we line up early express disembarkation so we were lined up on deck 3 ( one deck above the gangway) at 6:00am and yes we were the first ones there. Though others came fairly soon after that.

At the time we did disembark ( about 7:30) many people were there with the line extending out of the public area down one corridor.

This was not as bad as it sounds. We alternated taking time to have breakfast, walk around the ship, etc.

Shortly after 7:30 we were permitted to disembark. Though we were first in line, apparently wheelchair bound people were told they could gather on deck 2 using the elevator and they were the first to leave the ship. Glad Celebrity is thoughtful about such things.

We then walked to CBP and even though the Global Entry line was not open, we were used a regular lane and finished with that requirement in about 10 minutes.

I was concerned about the availability of cabs, but several were there and we were at FLL by 8:00am

Decided to check our carry on bag and just carry on our undersea bag.

Went to preCheck lane in terminal 3 and it took about 10 minutes to complete the security screening.

Arrived at gate about 45 minutes before boarding began at 9:10

Conclusion: would I do this again voluntarily, no. But at least it is possible. Key is place in line to disembark.

So glad to hear a happy ending, and you took the steps to make sure you made your flight.