Powerboards

We're cruising on Explorer next month, and obviously I'm aware that you are not allowed to bring powerboards on the ship, for obvious reasons.

But I was wondering if the single US/AUS adapters with 2 USB ports are considered as a powerboard?

They are $28 at Big W, and I don't want to purchase one only to have it confiscated by RCI....😁

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

The problem is with power-boards that have a surge protection device. As the electricity on the ship is not earthed (for obvious reasons :)), surge-protected devices can catch fire. There is absolutely no problem with double adaptors or US/Aus adaptors.

Agreed, as long as there is nor surge protection on the adaptor, it will be fine.:D

I have always taken one single USA or UK power plug on the ships I go on. I only need one power point. I simply cannot think why so many people need so much power in their cabins. Yes I take a laptop but only to backup photos during the holiday. My mobile phone is locked away in the safe. I do not care about what is going on at home when I am on holidays and I could not care less about the people trying to contact me. Its a holiday. The only thing I need power for is to recharge a shaver and to keep the laptop going when I want to store my photos. I also use a professional camera with good batteries to last almost the entire cruise.

So for me a single adapter is perfectly fine and has never been an issue. On most Princess ships a USA adapter is sufficient. On P&O UK ships then the UK adapter is required.

I have always taken one single USA or UK power plug on the ships I go on. I only need one power point. I simply cannot think why so many people need so much power in their cabins. Yes I take a laptop but only to backup photos during the holiday. My mobile phone is locked away in the safe. I do not care about what is going on at home when I am on holidays and I could not care less about the people trying to contact me. Its a holiday. The only thing I need power for is to recharge a shaver and to keep the laptop going when I want to store my photos. I also use a professional camera with good batteries to last almost the entire cruise.

So for me a single adapter is perfectly fine and has never been an issue. On most Princess ships a USA adapter is sufficient. On P&O UK ships then the UK adapter is required.

Some people have multiple devices as well as their phones and possibly even a CPAP machine for at night.

Well aren't you the lucky one. :rolleyes:

We have two Kindles, two phones which we use for other things than just communicating with the outside world (I have some very good games on mine which I enjoy playing as a change from reading), and my non-professional camera battery doesn't last anywhere near as long as I'd like. On many ships I take my own hairdryer as the ship ones are worse than useless. So that's six devices that need power. Some women also take other hair styling devices.

Well aren't you the lucky one. :rolleyes:

We have two Kindles, two phones which we use for other things than just communicating with the outside world (I have some very good games on mine which I enjoy playing as a change from reading), and my non-professional camera battery doesn't last anywhere near as long as I'd like. On many ships I take my own hairdryer as the ship ones are worse than useless. So that's six devices that need power. Some women also take other hair styling devices.

That's how I enjoy cruises the most. I do not play computer games or touch any device for reading or anything. I get out and enjoy the ships facilities. I will get plenty of on board credit, go for massages, swim in the pools, use the steam rooms, drink in different bars, enjoy all the shows, eat at all the restaurants, walk around the promenade decks to spot any other ships or marine life at sea and sometimes fall asleep on deck chairs. I go for the experience not for things that I can do at home.

Anyone can make camera batteries last longer. Just switch off the auto review and turn off the beep noise and you will increase battery life.

For information I did use the mobile alarm on the last cruise and turned off roaming and all data service. It is a Nokia Lumia smart phone and the battery lasted the entire 11 nights without needing a recharge.

While there's nothing wrong with that, it's not the way cruise lines are going. And aircraft as well.

Both are moving towards models relying on the passenger to bring their own device. With RCL group for example encouraging them to download and use the Royal app through their cruise to make bookings, get the cruise calendar and so on. And with planes by removing the convenient touch screen TVs that have been a feature.

Similarly in newer RCL cabins they already include at least two USB outlets. These changes will also likely be carried across to newer ships e.g. Celebrity, Princess and so on.

BTW OP, If the cruise line confiscate the power board for any reason, you can still get it back at the end of the cruise.

Yes, the end of cruise pickup table at the luggage hall always has an assortment of 'contraband' that people have tried to bring on. :p

While there's nothing wrong with that, it's not the way cruise lines are going. And aircraft as well.

Both are moving towards models relying on the passenger to bring their own device. With RCL group for example encouraging them to download and use the Royal app through their cruise to make bookings, get the cruise calendar and so on. And with planes by removing the convenient touch screen TVs that have been a feature.

Similarly in newer RCL cabins they already include at least two USB outlets. These changes will also likely be carried across to newer ships e.g. Celebrity, Princess and so on.

Agreed, for some it is not so much to remain in contact but to be able to take advantage of cruising technology and such.:D

We're cruising on Explorer next month, and obviously I'm aware that you are not allowed to bring powerboards on the ship, for obvious reasons.

But I was wondering if the single US/AUS adaptors with 2 USB ports are considered as a powerboard?

They are $28 at Big W, and I don't want to purchase one only to have it confiscated by RCI....😁

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Voyager, like Explorer has a single UK power point as well as US points. Korjo made double adaptors that are really handy, but they don't have any with USB ports on their site.