Now with so many "service animals" do they have a Vet onboard ?

dgparent

Is this really a common phenomenon! I've done loads of cruises and have never seen a dog or any other animal on a ship?

I have seen it once in the last 5 years on 12 cruises. It was a legitimate guide dog (German Shepherd) for the visually impaired. He was properly trained and consequently well behaved. No issues whatsoever.

Judgment of people who have animals with them is the same as judging those who need to take the elevator one floor. You don't know their circumstances or what service the animal is providing.

Very true. One time I parked in a handicapped spot, with proper vehicle permit, to go in a building and get my 90 year old mother who requires a walker and assistance. As I was going in the door, I could see my mother sitting in the chair I told her to wait in, a guy walking past me muttered "you sure look handicapped!" He had no idea that the permit and spot usage was for my mother whom I was helping who he couldn't see since she was in the building.

When I was in college one of my professors was deaf and had a hearing ear dog. A sweet little Lhasa Apso named Oreo. To look at my teacher it would be easy to say "Sure! Service dog!" because often deafness is an invisible handicap. But Oreo was highly trained to tell her when someone was at the door, when the phone was ringing, when the smoke alarm was going off, if someone was behind them, etc. When she became pregnant Oreo went back to service dog school and learned how to come and get her if a baby is crying. Really amazing little dog.

Bringing your lapdog everywhere with you claiming it is a "service" dog is a new thing. Airlines just require the certificate you purchased online. You get the certificate by answering a few questions online claiming you need an emotional support dog when you travel and you pay the fee for the certificate.

I always travel with my med incase I do come across an animal that triggers my allergies.

Also, what keeps someone from bringing a 100lb pitbull onboard a cruise ship claiming it is their emotional support animal?

Soccerref, I certainly sympathize with your son, as I'm allergic to cats, but your son can take medication to alleviate his issue, a sight impaired person or a person with PTSD can't take a magic pill to make their disability go away. If service dogs were not allowed to travel by air, they would miss out on a lot of things in life that you, me and your son take for granted because we would be able travel on an airplane. I am sure most would agree that we can all handle a little inconvenience knowing that it means that someone else can have a better quality of life or at least I would hope most feel this way.

I'm sorry, this statement is not accurate. And like for people not knowing better about why a service animal is needed, some people know nothing about allergies and this statement proves it.

I am severely allergic to cats... like life threatening. If I get in contact with a cat or cat has been in the area, I go in asthma crisis automatically and nothing will prevent that. It bypasses everything and medicine are useless. Takes me several days to week to recover if I get out of there right away (which on a plane is difficult). I love to travel and I'm scared to death (literally) each time I book a flight.

So if I follow your logic, yes the blind person or ptsd person would miss a lot of things in life, but I could die if I'm in plane with a cat.

Thankfully it is not as extreme for dogs and most service animal are dogs. But some people are that Alergic to dogs.

I like what air Canada does. If a person with a service animal and someone with severe allergies are on the same flight, who booked first has priority and the other is requested to book a different flight.

Cats get to me just as bad as dogs. My last attack was over new years. Went to a party and did not realize someone brought their 100lb golden retreiver. Was sitting in a chair and the dogs jumps up and licks me across the face. 5 minutes later my face swells up and I have a hard time breathing. I take an injection which was not helping quick enough. Wife rushes me to ER which thankfully was a 3 minute drive there I stay overnight. Took 4 days for me to fully recover.

To be clear, I have nothing against a service animal. They are well trained and typically will not misbehave. So called ESA animals have no training at all and should not be permitted in areas where pets are typically forbidden from.

Also, what keeps someone from bringing a 100lb pitbull onboard a cruise ship claiming it is their emotional support animal?

Unfortunately nothing.

As much as many would like the government to get involved in registering service dogs, many service dog associations, trainers, etc. are strongly against any such laws, because they say (which I don't buy) it would compromise the privacy of those with service dogs, even though it would cut down on the fakers which makes service dog's jobs harder when they encounter them. The ADA clearly has rules and regulations with regard to service dogs (emotional support dogs are not covered under the ADA), which outlines training, behavior, etc., but when folks lie and say their dog is a service dog, cruise lines and other business (even though they know they are not) are afraid of a lawsuit if they question them or even, in some cases, ask them to leave because of their dog's behavior. It is really sad that folks lie in order to take fluffy with them. I take my 80 pound Old English Sheepdog with me on road trips, but always stay in pet friendly hotels and houses, but when I go on a cruise, she happily stays with a petsitter.

What these folks that have "emotional support" dogs don't realize or do is that there are laws with regard to ESA and that they are not allowed in public buildings, etc. The law states: There are two main federal laws applicable to ESAs and their owners, these include the Air Carrier Access Act, and the Fair Housing Act. So, basically these animals can have access to airplans and apartments/houses that don't allow pets, but not to cruise lines, restaurants, banks, grocery stores, etc.

Although I work in the industry, I cannot say for sure what is a Service Dog and what is not, just by passive observation. It is best to file a complaint with Guest Relations and let them handle it. AND IF THEY DON'T HANDLE IT, FILE A COMPLIANT AGAINST GUEST RELATIONS!

Be aware that harassing a legitimate "Assistance Animal" is subject to a fine and penalties of up to $50,000! Best to file a complaint with guest relations or management and let them handle it. If they don't, you have redress with guest relations and/or management.

Not done this on a ship just in stores/restaurants. Yes, I am discreet about it. When you see a large dog jump onto a dining table to be hand fed, I think you have a pretty good idea what's phony or not.

I'm sorry, this statement is not accurate. And like for people not knowing better about why a service animal is needed, some people know nothing about allergies and this statement proves it.

I am severely allergic to cats... like life threatening. If I get in contact with a cat or cat has been in the area, I go in asthma crisis automatically and nothing will prevent that. It bypasses everything and medicine are useless. Takes me several days to week to recover if I get out of there right away (which on a plane is difficult). I love to travel and I'm scared to death (literally) each time I book a flight.

So if I follow your logic, yes the blind person or ptsd person would miss a lot of things in life, but I could die if I'm in plane with a cat.

Thankfully it is not as extreme for dogs and most service animal are dogs. But some people are that Alergic to dogs.

I like what air Canada does. If a person with a service animal and someone with severe allergies are on the same flight, who booked first has priority and the other is requested to book a different flight.

Appreciate that you have an allergy however in the US as I stated in an earlier post, if it comes between your allergy or the service dog, the dog wins.

Hi, my name is Roz, I'm the person who started the thread about Service Dogs and cruising with them.

I've been on many cruises, on many cruise lines with two different Service Dogs. When I first started cruising with my SD, in 2005, it was very difficult, it's still not easy but is becoming more clear to the cruise lines what our needs are and how to meet them.

First, to answer some of your good questions; there are only two animals that are allowed full access in ALL venues within the U.S. They are the dog [all breeds] and the miniature horse. The handler is the one who is protected under the ADA and DOJ laws, [these are federal laws] thereby protecting either their dog or their horse. They may enter all public buildings, including airlines, buses, trains and cruise ships. If the mode of transportation leaves from the US, and invites the public, they are also inviting the legitimate Service Animal.

Churches and other private entities may refuse access to their grounds to the Service Animal, but I have NEVER had any church or house of worship refuse me entrance in the U.S. If you the public can go into a place so can my dog!!!!

Emotional Support dogs may live in an apartment building that states "no pets allowed" and may fly, in the cabin, with their handler. They do NOT have access to stores, businesses or restaurants.

A properly trained SD is so obvious; they act with respect to their environment and to other animals and humans. They don't bark, whine, nip, sniff or lick when out in public. A handler of this dog will NEVER feed the dog in a restaurant or lounge and will NEVER allow it be close to other peoples food. They should NOT be sitting on furniture [although sometimes will go up on the furniture to alert their handler to blood pressure, seizure or panic] issues.

If you suspect that the dog onboard your ship is a "pet", you should report this to the Hotel Manager [every cruise ship has one!]

And, don't be shy to call the person "out!"

A Service Dog is NOT trained to go potty on a piddle pad in the bathroom. A potty box is provided by the cruise line and is placed in an area away from the other passengers [hopefully] or, on the handlers veranda, if they have one. The handler should provide potty bags and should pick up and dispose of the solids in an appropriate receptacle provided by the cruise line.

I love when people ask to pat my dog, he loves the attention, when I allow it. I also love to answer questions about his training and his remarkable abilities and good manners.

Also, although I do sympathize with anyone who has dog allergies [i do too], it is true that the dog will always win when that is your main complaint about the Service Dog. My best suggestion is to stay away from the dog.

If I know that you are allergic I, too, will try and avoid contact with you.

Remember, if you are out in public, you are being subjected to people's hair, clothing, etc., that may have animal hair on it from their pets at home. Unless you are wearing a face mask at all time when you're out and about, there's no way that you can avoid coming in contact with allergens!

I try my hardest to stay away from folks who show fear or utter dislike for my dog. I respect your right to not have to be exposed to anything that makes you unhappy while you're on your vacation!

Now let me say this: my one year old English Bulldog started jumping on me and sticking her nose up to my mouth to take deep inhales... come to find out, every time she has done this, I had an asthma attack.

No one trained her. When she does this now, I go take two inhaler puffs and keep it in my pocket.

Just a point of clarification - perhaps there are some handlers that use this system for a little dog, but I don't know of any large service dogs that relieve themselves on "piddle pads" on the tile floor of a cruise ship bathroom. The ship provides us with a 4X4 box filled with sod or mulch for that purpose. Service dogs are trained to relieve themselves on command at the time and at any location the handler chooses.

Also, our dogs themselves actually don't have "privileges" to appear in public places off limits to pets. But those of us humans with a disability have a right by federal law (the ADA administered by the Justice Dept.) to be accompanied by an animal individually trained to work and perform specific tasks to benefit us.

On edit - I see Roz has addressed these points, too. Thanks, Roz!

perhaps there are some handlers that use this system for a little dog, but I don't know of any large service dogs that relieve themselves on "piddle pads" on the tile floor of a cruise ship bathroom.

Yes, piddle pads are an alternate system for dogs depending on a number of variables, for example harsh winter areas, apartment dwellers, etc. It can work for both small and large species dogs. Some dogs begin piddle pad training as soon as 2 weeks after birth for both household pets and Assistance Dogs.

There are three categories for the dogs: service animal, therapy animal, and emotional support animal. A true service or therapy animal is very well trained and does not sit on furniture.

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person's disability. The ADA grants individuals with disabilities accompanied by service dogs the right to access almost all places of public accommodation where the general public is permitted. Persons with service dogs are not required to pay any additional fees on account of the service dog, though the owner is responsible for any damages caused by the dog.

Therapy dogs are trained to provide affection and comfort to people in hospitals, retirement homes, nursing homes, schools, hospices, disaster areas, and to people with autism. A therapy animal (usually a dog but sometimes a cat) is a well trained dog that has passed a rigorous test for obedience and temperament.

An emotional support animal is a companion animal which provides therapeutic benefit, such as alleviating or mitigating some symptoms of the disability, to an individual with a mental or psychiatric disability. A doctor's prescription is required to get a legitimate certificate. These animals may or may not be well trained and are usually the ones found sitting on the furniture and eating from buffets. They are not required to be caged, nor are people charged for flying with an emotional support animal.

[quote name=basil's mom;52304202

An emotional support animal is a companion animal which provides therapeutic benefit' date=' such as alleviating or mitigating some symptoms of the disability, to an individual with a mental or psychiatric disability. A doctor's prescription is required to get a legitimate certificate. These animals may or may not be well trained and are usually the ones found sitting on the furniture and eating from buffets. They are not required to be caged, nor are people charged for flying with an emotional support animal.[/quote]

The "emotional support animal" is basically a pet that the owner just doesn't want to leave at home with a pet sitter or in a kennel. These are the animals whose owners are required to have a current letter by a shrink saying they are too mentally fragile to travel without Fluffy. The owners are the ones who buy the bogus "service dog" vests, bogus certificates, and bogus "letters fom psychiatrists on-line. To me, these people should definitely rethink their choice of cruising. These furball pets are the ones you see eating at a dining table, yapping in the cabin, or relieving itself on the lawn areas. KEEP THEM OFF.

So does the cruise line assess a special cleaning fee for rooms that were occupied by a service animal/ESA. I know some hotels will assess a cleaning fee for your pet. I know the chances of having a room after a dog was in there is slim to none but just curious.

So does the cruise line assess a special cleaning fee for rooms that were occupied by a service animal/ESA. I know some hotels will assess a cleaning fee for your pet. I know the chances of having a room after a dog was in there is slim to none but just curious.
Where a service dog is concerned, don't know about emotional support dogs, they can not charge extra fees for the dog. If a hotel charges their non-disable guests for damage, then they can charge that fee if the dog or its owners damage property, but no cleaning fee.

I travel a lot with my dog (always in pet friendly hotels and houses) and some charge a pet fee, while others don't. Some hotels charge up to $100 for that pet fee.

Judgment of people who have animals with them is the same as judging those who need to take the elevator one floor. You don't know their circumstances or what service the animal is providing.

Yes, you can buy the certificates and vests online but they are bogus.

We fly a few times a year with our two Havanese. We pay the additional charge (currently $100 per pet), we are restricted from not bringing aboard a carryon (the dogs are considered a carryon), and they remain in their carriers under the seat during the flights.

I can't tell you how many times we have been in the security lines, or at the gate, when other passeners with pets have advised us to get a letter stating ours are emotional support dogs; they can ride on your lap, you won't need to pay extra, you can bring a carryon. In these cases it's not hard to conclude what their motivation and type of "service" is. It's difficult not to judge when so many blatantly abuse.

Although I don't think I could live with myself for being so dishonest, the airlines sure do make it tempting!

Where a service dog is concerned, don't know about emotional support dogs, they can not charge extra fees for the dog. If a hotel charges their non-disable guests for damage, then they can charge that fee if the dog or its owners damage property, but no cleaning fee.

I travel a lot with my dog (always in pet friendly hotels and houses) and some charge a pet fee, while others don't. Some hotels charge up to $100 for that pet fee.

Some hotels do some tricky things which are not allowed by law either. First, they will ask for ID papers for a service dog even though illegal and say I need to see them so I don't charge you for the maintenance fee. Also, I spoke to an individual in Atlantic City once who had a deluxe room in a particular tower reserved. When they checked in with their service dog they were moved to a different type room in a different tower and were told that's the tower we put the dogs.

I was relaxing on a lounger with my book : Deck 5 on Brilliance when a steel tray roughly 4x4 just narrowly missed my arm it was a pet loo : a man with a tiny Yorkshire Terrier had just dropped it down now not a word was spoken. the dog finished his or her business and away they went leaving it all behind.

Naturallý I left but not a pretty sight for all the walkers and runners on the promenade deck

We fly a few times a year with our two Havanese.

Hi Havalover! I have one too, a black/white parti. Wish there was a way to PM on CC so we could talk about our favorite breed!

Yes, the issue of bogus "Assistance Animals" continues to evolve. There needs to be a review of the existing laws (ADA and ACAA) and regulations for stricter enforcement. However, there will always be those who will find a way to circumvent or flaunt the law. The best defense is to be aware of what the law is and report any violations to management and hold them accountable.