Now with so many "service animals" do they have a Vet onboard ?

dgparent

Nothing to laugh about EuroTraveler12.....They really do make great pets and they can be very helpful.....He can hand me stuff, pick up stuff Mrs Click drops, do all kinds of helpful things including stinking up an entire ship in one day.....

Must be kind of tough when they sit on your lap, though!

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of shocked to see some of the responses on here. My son is Autistic and is a Type 1 diabetic who at many times has become unresponsive and has reached glucose levels of a diabetic coma. He does not feel when things are off and he rarely shows signs when his numbers are crashing. He now has a diabetic alert dog. A $15,000.00 fully trained service dog that has already saved his life. From what I am gathering, it is a huge process to have a service animal on a cruise if you plan on getting off at any islands. I know there are scammers out there,but please, don't pass judgement for those who truly do have these legit life-saving animals.

Ten years ago nobody was lactose intolerant, now everybody is, same with peanuts. Dogs are needed for the blind and people that really need them. If I saw a poodle being fed at my table the f bombs would come out until some one was in tears or left. All this PC correct stuff has gone to far

Kind of shocked to see some of the responses on here. My son is Autistic and is a Type 1 diabetic who at many times has become unresponsive and has reached glucose levels of a diabetic coma. He does not feel when things are off and he rarely shows signs when his numbers are crashing. He now has a diabetic alert dog. A $15,000.00 fully trained service dog that has already saved his life. From what I am gathering, it is a huge process to have a service animal on a cruise if you plan on getting off at any islands. I know there are scammers out there,but please, don't pass judgement for those who truly do have these legit life-saving animals.

This is exactly the reason that so many instances are annoying. They set a skeptical tone for everyone. I know there are people who need service dogs and I just hate to see these people lumped into the same category. True, we can't always know, but sometimes you really have to be reasonable. I hope his dog wears the appropriate identification as a service dog because I think that will help.

Many of us who have worked in the service industry know not to key on the person and whether they show any visible disability, but to focus on the service animal to get the tell-tales as to whether the animal is a true service animal or not. As you say, training to get your dog to meet the "well behaved" model required of service animals is not going to be met by the scammers, and so the animal itself shows its true colors.

Many of us who have worked in the service industry know not to key on the person and whether they show any visible disability, but to focus on the service animal to get the tell-tales as to whether the animal is a true service animal or not. As you say, training to get your dog to meet the "well behaved" model required of service animals is not going to be met by the scammers, and so the animal itself shows its true colors.

This is so true!

2 of my 3 teen grandsons are Type 1 and, given the strain my daughter and husband had in managing their levels while they were younger, I can only imagine the daily stress you face with your son who doesn't display indication that his numbers are crashing. Thank goodness for his service dog.

2 of my 3 teen grandsons are Type 1 and, given the strain my daughter and husband had in managing their levels while they were younger, I can only imagine the daily stress you face with your son who doesn't display indication that his numbers are crashing. Thank goodness for his service dog.

When I graduated with my first Service Dog in 2002 my life changed so dramatically. I no longer had to live in the shadows of life. I was free, I could go into society and actually be an active member. It is so liberating to have my fur-partner with me to give me that boost of confidence to hold down a full-time job and be a contributing member of the world around me.

You've hit the nail on the head perfectly. A true service animal is better behaved than most humans..... one that barks and jumps around and chews on furniture, and fed from the table is NOT a service animal and shouldn't be passed off as one, it does a disservice to all those highly trained animals that actually are service animals as stated in the ADA law....most "emotional support" animals are not covered by that law in most states and passing them off as one in many has become a crime. It is 2nd degree misdemeanor here in Florida punishable by up to 60 days in jail and 30 hours of community service. Unfortunately, many businesses are afraid to really question the owners of these animals because of the threat of lawsuits..... It really is sad.

There are legitimate service animals. However, on some of our cruises, I have become very skeptical about the animals and their owners on board. We spoke to the individuals and they gave an explanation of what service the animals performed. It made me wonder where they get their medical treatment for their conditions in this day and age. Then when fed from the buffet and had a different clothing outfit every day, give me a break!

Judgment of people who have animals with them is the same as judging those who need to take the elevator one floor. You don't know their circumstances or what service the animal is providing.

I cannot say that your comment is wrong, to some extent. However, in my opinion, a majority of the cases, I fear don't need either.

I especially wonder about the time when a man was feeding his dog from the table in the MDR.

Whether or not someone takes the elevator one floor or not is no big deal, I expect in 10-15 years, if I am still alive, I may be one of those persons. As for taking animals on a cruise, while I very much miss my cat, I promise not to bring him on a cruise. I just can't imagine where I would put the litter box.

I have seen videos of people with support birds on airlines. I am severely allergic to birds and this terrifies me. Wonder what happens if one ends up next to me on a flight. Who gets bumped?

Probably me I am sure.

A true service dog is highly trained. That dog that wanders off, tries to play with another dog or person, is pet or people aggressive, grabs food from the table, is not housebroken, or doesn't obey, is not a service dog. It isn't even a well behaved pet. Retired service dogs are no longer service dogs, they are pets.

So many people were abusing the system it is a crime in California to pass a dog off as a service dog.

I have seen videos of people with support birds on airlines. I am severely allergic to birds and this terrifies me. Wonder what happens if one ends up next to me on a flight. Who gets bumped?

Probably me I am sure.

If they are on a plane it is because the airline allows it as a courtesy. The ADA only recognizes dogs and in some cases horses.

A true service dog is highly trained. That dog that wanders off' date=' tries to play with another dog or person, is pet or people aggressive, grabs food from the table, is not housebroken, or doesn't obey, is not a service dog. It isn't even a well behaved pet. Retired service dogs are no longer service dogs, they are pets.

So many people were abusing the system it is a crime in California to pass a dog off as a service dog.[/quote']

Actually have a question about a service dog being highly trained. Going back to a previous post on this thread, a poster mentioned that he has a dog who sniffs his nose prior to him having an asthma attack. From the post, it appears this just happened with his family dog. How could you say this dog is not a service dog and I have heard many stories of dogs who pick up seizures. From reading ADA, there is not requirement that these dogs go through any type of additional training.

Same in Florida.....but people keep doing it.....

I've read the law in Florida, problem is how do you prove it's not a service dog. Federal law states you can only ask if the dog is a service dog and what service does he provide. Since Federal law trumps State Law, you really can't go any further.

I've read the law in Florida, problem is how do you prove it's not a service dog. Federal law states you can only ask if the dog is a service dog and what service does he provide. Since Federal law trumps State Law, you really can't go any further.

You're right, the law Florida passed last year didn't do much if anything to help the situation. I manage a hotel and the number of people trying to pass their animals off as "service animals" just grows and grows. You're also right that you can only ask those two questions. What we have found is that an owner of a "true" service animal has no problem answering those question, others, not so much..... But it is such a tricky situation....one caveat we ALWAYS insist on is that the animal must always be in the company of its owner....can't be left in a room....after all ....a "true" service dog NEEDS to be near their owner to perform their duties.......that has stopped a few who were trying to pass off a pet as a service animal....

Having worked in the VA many years with paraplegics and quadraplegics, yes, service dogs are for them. BUT how about going on a cruise, sitting at "Crush" and watching a damn dog crap on the floor right next to the bar????? Yes, it happened. Yes the man was carrying his WIFE'S so-called "service dog", she was nowhere to be seen, and YES, this dog crapped all over and was allowed into the dining room to SIT IN A CHAIR AT THE TABLE. This is NOT a service dog.

So, now you know how I feel about so-called "service dogs". Service dogs are trained and well behaved. This little piece of crap was all over the ship and many, many passengers were complaining.

Sorry, this thread just gave me venting privileges. I feel so much better.

If they are on a plane it is because the airline allows it as a courtesy. The ADA only recognizes dogs and in some cases horses.

Horses?

I just don't get it. We saw a young woman with a dog on her lap on a plane once. She was actually bragging about being able to have the dog on her lap and that the airline couldn't do anything about it since it was a service animal.

It helped her anxiety of flying.

I take Xanax for anxiety... it's easier than dealing with a dog, it's carrier and such.

I'm sorry, this statement is not accurate. And like for people not knowing better about why a service animal is needed, some people know nothing about allergies and this statement proves it.

I am severely allergic to cats... like life threatening. If I get in contact with a cat or cat has been in the area, I go in asthma crisis automatically and nothing will prevent that. It bypasses everything and medicine are useless. Takes me several days to week to recover if I get out of there right away (which on a plane is difficult). I love to travel and I'm scared to death (literally) each time I book a flight.

So if I follow your logic, yes the blind person or ptsd person would miss a lot of things in life, but I could die if I'm in plane with a cat.

Thankfully it is not as extreme for dogs and most service animal are dogs. But some people are that Alergic to dogs. .

Then this is not specifically an issue with "service animals" because the person would be allergic to pets in airplane cabins as well.

Many more passengers fly with pet cats or dogs than with service dogs.

What do you do when traveling on an airplane with cats or dogs that are not service animals, but just small pets traveling in a carrier under the seat in front of their owner?

American Airlines, for example, allows up to 7 small pet cats or dogs to accompany their owners on each flight, in addition to any service animals.

Service dogs on airplanes are just more noticeable than the pets because they are not confined in carriers, are often right up front at the bulkhead where everyone sees them, and they are usually (but not always) larger breeds.

Most times we don't even notice the small pet cats and dogs in carriers under airplane seats unless we happen to be sitting beside them, or we see them in the terminal.