Opinion hunting - what would you do?

CruzLover80

So we are booked on the NCL Escape in Sept. We are traveling in a regular balcony cabin, myself, DH (celebrating his 60th) and our son (17) in the same cabin. Since my DH knows we are going on the cruise, I wanted to surprise him in some way. I was looking at the mini-suite with large balcony, it'll run an extra $745. I was dancing around the topic with my husband and he said, it's not worth spending the extra $. Alternatively, I was looking at booking a inside cabin for my son (and possibly my Mom - but I would have to pay for her trip, costing an additional $1300 for both.) What are your thoughts?

Without your mom, the youngest (17) couldn't stay in a stateroom by himself.

Yeah, I know. That's why I would have to pay for my mother, so she could go in the cabin with him. We are already taking a vacation without him so for our anniversary, we were planning on taking him on this one. I guess you all right, save the extra money. Maybe I will do a spa package for him. BUT I will be on the lookout for a drop in price for that cabin. I realize the "suite" isn't really so, it's the balcony that I want. Thank you all!

Another option is the large balcony room if available. We booked one with the cross on the deck plan on deck 9 and those have Pullman beds in the ceiling above the sleeper sofa. Not as expensive as the mini-suite with a considerably large balcony that increases your living space. We had two such adjoining rooms last year for the four of us (two pre-teens) realized it was not entirely necessary. So we saved a couple of thousand this year by just going with one. The thing we will miss most is that extra bathroom. I will tell you in hindsight, I would have booked a mini-suite with a large balcony. Like you, we thought the extra $600 was a bit much for a larger bathroom and balcony. But the more I think about it, that large balcony is the main selling point because it considerably increases your living space and makes for much less close quarters when you are all in the room. I would book it in a heartbeat but the rooms that sleep 4 are all sold out on our cruise.

I'm not going to tell you whether the mini suite with large balcony is worth it or not for you.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider paying anything like that for the room, but that balcony is fantastic. Probably not worth that much to me, but I'd at least consider it.

If the balcony size is appealing then is a large balcony room on deck 9 available? The balconies are quite a lot smaller than the minis, but still a good size and potentially not much extra cost.

As others have noted, $700+ may not seem worth it for a balcony, but when you and your husband are in the room with your son and potentially mother, two of you having the ability to be out on the balcony reading a book or having a drink will seem well worth the money during the week. :) Or if you just all want to be out on the balcony together.

Yeah, I know. That's why I would have to pay for my mother, so she could go in the cabin with him. We are already taking a vacation without him so for our anniversary, we were planning on taking him on this one. I guess you all right, save the extra money. Maybe I will do a spa package for him. BUT I will be on the lookout for a drop in price for that cabin. I realize the "suite" isn't really so, it's the balcony that I want. Thank you all!

Have you asked your mother if she is happy to live for a week in the same room as your 17 year old son? My mother would not have been happy to spend a week in the same room as her 17 year old grandson.

As others have noted, $700+ may not seem worth it for a balcony, but when you and your husband are in the room with your son and potentially mother, two of you having the ability to be out on the balcony reading a book or having a drink will seem well worth the money during the week. :) Or if you just all want to be out on the balcony together.

I wasn't even entertaining the idea of my mother in our cabin. I know my DH would be alright with it, but talk about close quarters for almost 4 adults.

Have you asked your mother if she is happy to live for a week in the same room as your 17 year old son? My mother would not have been happy to spend a week in the same room as her 17 year old grandson.

My son is her only grandson. She loves to stay with him. Actually we are heading to New Orleans in a couple months and she is staying home with my son. She loves to run away from her house, LOL. My son and her are super close.

Could you put your dh name on a studio cabin and book your ds in your cabin ans at the end of the night your ds can sleep in the studio? My kids are 18 and 23. I would do this now with my ds-18 but not sure if he, or I, would have been ready to do this last year. Depends on your ds maturity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sharing a cabin with my 17 y/o son on our anniversary cruise? ... no, and I don't care if we created him. Get him an inside or leave him with your mother. It is OUR anniversary, not his ... that is why we separately celebrate the anniversary of his birth each year with cake and ice cream.

LOL... this cruise is not our anniversary, it's my husband's 60th. We are taking a separate trip to New Orleans for our anniversary, childless. That's why we are bringing him on the cruise. We usually do 1 vacation with child and the other without.