How To Order a Beer Like a Local

They brew Fosters in Canada for the American market and also brew it in UK for the European market. We sent it overseas because no self respecting beer drinker here would touch the stuff, let alone drink it.:eek:

Fosters brewed in Australia was 4.9% abv. The overseas stuff is general around 4%abv.

As for ciders, I like to drink Thatchers Gold when in UK, always well chilled. But if we are staying in a nice west country pub and they have the local scrumpy cider on, I will give that a whirl.

Oh yeah, I am partial to a bit of scrumpy as well.:D

They brew Fosters in Canada for the American market and also brew it in UK for the European market. We sent it overseas because no self respecting beer drinker here would touch the stuff, let alone drink it.:eek:

Fosters brewed in Australia was 4.9% abv. The overseas stuff is general around 4%abv.

As for ciders, I like to drink Thatchers Gold when in UK, always well chilled. But if we are staying in a nice west country pub and they have the local scrumpy cider on, I will give that a whirl.

Dad carted beer for over 50 years (retired in about '02) now it was in NSW so Tooths, tooheys and Resches dominated, but in all that time he reckons he probably delivered about 100 cartons of Fosters. Nowadays he works two days a week in the local bottlo taking care of ordering for them says he orders about a carton a week, or less.

Dad carted beer for over 50 years (retired in about '02) now it was in NSW so Tooths, tooheys and Resches dominated, but in all that time he reckons he probably delivered about 100 cartons of Fosters. Nowadays he works two days a week in the local bottlo taking care of ordering for them says he orders about a carton a week, or less.[/quote

Many years ago when I could drink beer, I used to knock off half a carton - 12 little bottles of ye olde Fosters 'throwdowns' - the 250 ml bottles, whilst mowing the lawn. I had a big lawn.:eek: They were called throwdowns, because one guzzle and there were gonzo.:cool:

Many years ago when I could drink beer, I used to knock off half a carton - 12 little bottles of ye olde Fosters 'throwdowns' - the 250 ml bottles, whilst mowing the lawn. I had a big lawn.:eek: They were called throwdowns, because one guzzle and there were gonzo.:cool:

They were the first of the twisties (twist tops).:D

They were the first of the twisties (twist tops).:D

Indeed Fosters Twisties were, Tooheys (New) followed. Not sure if the throwdowns are still on the market. When I hit he bottle these days I head straight for the cider and the Chateau Cardboard. The two litre casks of Chateau Cardboard fit nicely in the cabin fridges. Taking a couple on board QM2. Might have to restock by the time we hit Brisvegas.:eek:

Indeed Fosters Twisties were, Tooheys (New) followed. Not sure if the throwdowns are still on the market. When I hit he bottle these days I head straight for the cider and the Chateau Cardboard. The two litre casks of Chateau Cardboard fit nicely in the cabin fridges. Taking a couple on board QM2. Might have to restock by the time we hit Brisvegas.:eek:
Yes, you be careful with taking all that on board, they may have you off to the naughty room.:eek:

The thing with Cunard is that their policy is only enforced when it is being grossly abused.

And one day all good things will probably come to an end if Carnival Corporation forces Cunard and P&O UK to enforce the 1 bottle of wine per person policy at embarkation. In order to achieve on board alcohol sales targets, which is the motivator.

Some people abuse the concession by bringing on several cases of wine and spirits.:eek:

those 250ml we used to call them grenades , and ya still can get this size stubby as long as ya want vb

When I was young a throwdown was for cracker night.

Beer came in longnecks or cans or kegs, that was about it.

Stubbies came in when was a teenager I think, at least I don't recall them prior to that.

Then they experimented with different size cans, each holding 750ml, one was what now seems to be called an oil can, the other a standard can, but twice as high.

Kegs have had a similar evolution, I very vaguely remember wooden kegs then the steel ones 18 or 9 gallon, then these new stainless steel ones they use now, about 15 gallons I think.

I once had a couple of carriers talking about the various kegs and one commented that he knew the only bloke who had carted all three types, the other said nope no one could possibly have been in the game long enough to do all three, first bloke names themane, second bloke said "Yeah guess he would have", they were talking about dad.

And one day all good things will probably come to an end if Carnival Corporation forces Cunard and P&O UK to enforce the 1 bottle of wine per person policy at embarkation. In order to achieve on board alcohol sales targets, which is the motivator.

Some people abuse the concession by bringing on several cases of wine and spirits.:eek:

You can actually bring on as much wine as you want but pay a surcharge on the extra bottles.

Spirits are not allowed at all.

When I was young a throwdown was for cracker night.

Beer came in longnecks or cans or kegs, that was about it.

Stubbies came in when was a teenager I think, at least I don't recall them prior to that.

Then they experimented with different size cans, each holding 750ml, one was what now seems to be called an oil can, the other a standard can, but twice as high.

Kegs have had a similar evolution, I very vaguely remember wooden kegs then the steel ones 18 or 9 gallon, then these new stainless steel ones they use now, about 15 gallons I think.

I once had a couple of carriers talking about the various kegs and one commented that he knew the only bloke who had carted all three types, the other said nope no one could possibly have been in the game long enough to do all three, first bloke names themane, second bloke said "Yeah guess he would have", they were talking about dad.

I used to be a keg driver along the way i have met some fantastic people doing that job , infact i would still be doing it today if something alot easier didnt come along...

I know one bloke and he would be 63 still pushing barrels around and has been doing the same thing for 30 odd years (they called him the midnight express) still out does some of these young bucks , it doesnt matter how many stops ya give him it could be 8 stop or 26 stops still comes back with no full kegs on truck and al delivered

this bloke has seen the different types i reckon he was still doing when there was draught horses pulling the barrels.

The 50 litre kegs are the norm these days wether it is tooheys or cub but the handling of the kegs havent changed that much there is still lot of rope drops

I used to be a keg driver along the way i have met some fantastic people doing that job , infact i would still be doing it today if something alot easier didnt come along...

I know one bloke and he would be 63 still pushing barrels around and has been doing the same thing for 30 odd years (they called him the midnight express) still out does some of these young bucks , it doesnt matter how many stops ya give him it could be 8 stop or 26 stops still comes back with no full kegs on truck and al delivered

this bloke has seen the different types i reckon he was still doing when there was draught horses pulling the barrels.

The 50 litre kegs are the norm these days wether it is tooheys or cub but the handling of the kegs havent changed that much there is still lot of rope drops

Dad was doing it into his 70s, yep plenty of rope drops into cellars in a lot of pubs.

On a cruise on P&O Oceania of the Med in 2015 (14 days) there was no restriction on bringing on wine and beer on embarkation at Venice and at every port we stocked up on wine and beer to last for the next day or so.

For consumption in your room of course (nudge nudge wink wink) and the fridges in the rooms got the booze freezing cold in a couple of hours - first time I have found that on a cruise ship.

On a cruise on P&O Oceania of the Med in 2015 (14 days) there was no restriction on bringing on wine and beer on embarkation at Venice and at every port we stocked up on wine and beer to last for the next day or so.

For consumption in your room of course (nudge nudge wink wink) and the fridges in the rooms got the booze freezing cold in a couple of hours - first time I have found that on a cruise ship.

Not many allow that, eats into their profits.

Not many allow that, eats into their profits.

They have their adult beverage targets to achieve. But having been on Arcadia/Aurora/Oriana I can tell you the Brits more than match the Aussies in the drinking stakes, they make the North Americans look like teetotallers.:cool:

At ye olde Great British Sailaway parties on P&O UK, the grog really flows, the waiters love it, muchas 15% gratuity. Also at the shows pre and post dinner, most pax have a drink, keeping those waiters running up and down the stairs. I got to know one of the bar waiters really well on Aurora, he sold me plenty of ciders, so when he saw me going off the ship on a shorex, and he was at the water station near the gangway, as they do...he would yell out....'Water to go....Gluten Free Water for you.!!!' lol. Classic.

Edited by NSWP

They have their adult beverage targets to achieve. But having been on Arcadia/Aurora/Oriana I can tell you the Brits more than match the Aussies in the drinking stakes, they make the North Americans look like teetotallers.:cool:

At ye olde Great British Sailaway parties on P&O UK, the grog really flows, the waiters love it, muchas 15% gratuity. Also at the shows pre and post dinner, most pax have a drink, keeping those waiters running up and down the stairs. I got to know one of the bar waiters really well on Aurora, he sold me plenty of ciders, so when he saw me going off the ship on a shorex, and he was at the water station near the gangway, as they do...he would yell out....'Water to go....Gluten Free Water for you.!!!' lol. Classic.

LOl, that normal water can be very fattening as well, I like the sparkling water so you burn calories while you drink it.:rolleyes: