Help choosing an AQ room on Summit!

Alsmez

We have never sailed on an M-Class ship and are considering a cruise to Bermuda on Summit. We have sailed in Aqua Class on Reflection previously and really enjoyed it - we much prefer Blu to the MDR and given that the price of AQ is only a bit more than a regular balcony on the sailings we're considering, it's a no-brainer (unless of course they run a screaming deal on a suite! :D).

Anyway, I have been perusing all of the information on the M-Class stateroom thread and it looks as though the AQ staterooms on M-Class ships are in less-than-desirable locations and/or have less-than-optimal balcony configurations. All of the A1 aft balconies are gone, so unfortunately those are not an option. The remaining A1s are mostly toward the back of the ship, which is fine - I would prefer to be as far away from the basketball court as possible. However, I hear reports of noise from the movie screen on the deck above, and it sounds as though the balconies are mostly uncovered, resulting in limited privacy and a great deal of sun during the day. We are not opposed to some sun, but we aren't sun worshippers by any stretch. Since this is a Bermuda cruise, we'll be docked for three days and have no recourse if we happen to be on the side of the ship that is facing into the hot afternoon sun.

The A2s have a whole other set of problems. From what I read, most of them are saddled with an oversized balcony overhang, blocking the sun entirely and limiting the view of the sky. Also, they are all under potentially noisy areas like the pool deck, buffet, etc. The only ones that seem even remotely non-noisy are those under the Solarium. Fortunately there are some rooms left in this area, but I am certainly open to other suggestions for especially quiet A2s. My husband HATES noise from above, so we usually try to book with cabins above (and below), but in this case it's not an option.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice!

We have never sailed on an M-Class ship and are considering a cruise to Bermuda on Summit. We have sailed in Aqua Class on Reflection previously and really enjoyed it - we much prefer Blu to the MDR and given that the price of AQ is only a bit more than a regular balcony on the sailings we're considering, it's a no-brainer (unless of course they run a screaming deal on a suite! :D).

Anyway, I have been perusing all of the information on the M-Class stateroom thread and it looks as though the AQ staterooms on M-Class ships are in less-than-desirable locations and/or have less-than-optimal balcony configurations. All of the A1 aft balconies are gone, so unfortunately those are not an option. The remaining A1s are mostly toward the back of the ship, which is fine - I would prefer to be as far away from the basketball court as possible. However, I hear reports of noise from the movie screen on the deck above, and it sounds as though the balconies are mostly uncovered, resulting in limited privacy and a great deal of sun during the day. We are not opposed to some sun, but we aren't sun worshippers by any stretch. Since this is a Bermuda cruise, we'll be docked for three days and have no recourse if we happen to be on the side of the ship that is facing into the hot afternoon sun.

The A2s have a whole other set of problems. From what I read, most of them are saddled with an oversized balcony overhang, blocking the sun entirely and limiting the view of the sky. Also, they are all under potentially noisy areas like the pool deck, buffet, etc. The only ones that seem even remotely non-noisy are those under the Solarium. Fortunately there are some rooms left in this area, but I am certainly open to other suggestions for especially quiet A2s. My husband HATES noise from above, so we usually try to book with cabins above (and below), but in this case it's not an option.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice!

We always stay in Aqua and actually prefer A2s. The overhand does NOT obliterate the view or the sun. It merely provides some shelter from the sun and rain. I would say about half (maybe a bit more) is covered. It certainly doesn't impact the view. Full sun, especially in the very hot weather climates is too much. Also, we travel on Summit almost exclusively. The A2 cabins are on the 9th deck beneath the buffet, pools, and solarium. We have always found them to be very quiet and peaceful. Never any sounds from above. I simply can't account for complaints to the contrary.

We always stay in Aqua and actually prefer A2s. The overhand does NOT obliterate the view or the sun. It merely provides some shelter from the sun and rain. I would say about half (maybe a bit more) is covered. It certainly doesn't impact the view. Full sun, especially in the very hot weather climates is too much. Also, we travel on Summit almost exclusively. The A2 cabins are on the 9th deck beneath the buffet, pools, and solarium. We have always found them to be very quiet and peaceful. Never any sounds from above. I simply can't account for complaints to the contrary.

I'm glad to hear this. I wouldn't anticipate too much noise being underneath the solarium, but I think being under the buffet or pool deck would drive my husband insane. It sounds like the balcony will be ideal, though, so perhaps we'll look at a room under the solarium and hope for the best.

If the Aft facing cabins on deck of 11 are available grab one of those quickly. They are amazing!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately they are long gone! We're booking last-minute so the pickings are somewhat slim. Someday, though, we WILL get one of those aft cabins! :)

We have sailed the Summit 6 times, mostly in AQ 2 cabins located midship starboard. We have never been bothered by noise above us and I am a very light sleeper. We love the overhang on the balcony. It does not make the room dark and you still get sun on the balcony although the overhang is completely over the balcony.

Hi,

We did this cruise in Aug 2015 before the put the outdoor theater on deck 12. From what I have read here on CC I would not be to concerned about the theater above. You dont want a cabin to far aft and not the ones next to the aft door that takes you down to the Oceanview bar and Oceanview Café. We cruised with friends next cabin so we had the balconies opened up. We had cabins 1114 and 1116 and loved them. In the morning and evening going to Blu we just took the elevator down to deck 5 and Blu was right their. Lunch time we went down the stairs near the elevators stairs and right into the Oceanview Café got our food, stopped at the Oceanview bar for drinks and went up the back stairs right to our cabin and out on our balcony. Here are some photos I took of the balcony and overhang. You can see in the photo that our balcony was a bit larger than some of the others. We did have a water drain on balcony 1116. It did look like you might get a small puddle if it rained.

IMG_20150811_140915050_HDR.jpg.8ec5db2a6fd3df4b400a1fa1f8c82722.jpg

IMG_20150811_140934572.jpg.718cb92f90fb96256fc51f7acea1ed2d.jpg

IMG_20150811_140944821.jpg.0a96ec32294330cdb2df722c21156550.jpg

IMG_20150811_140954960_HDR.jpg.74c72384992eda2a6c01591b5b1a4c81.jpg

Hi,

We did this cruise in Aug 2015 before the put the outdoor theater on deck 12. From what I have read here on CC I would not be to concerned about the theater above. You dont want a cabin to far aft and not the ones next to the aft door that takes you down to the Oceanview bar and Oceanview Café. We cruised with friends next cabin so we had the balconies opened up. We had cabins 1114 and 1116 and loved them.

Thanks for these photos. Good advice about not being in the room next to the aft door/staircase, too. If the noise from the theater isn't too bad, it sounds like this area might be a good choice!

We have sailed the Summit 6 times, mostly in AQ 2 cabins located midship starboard. We have never been bothered by noise above us and I am a very light sleeper. We love the overhang on the balcony. It does not make the room dark and you still get sun on the balcony although the overhang is completely over the balcony.

Good to know! Some cover on the balcony would be welcome. We are both light sleepers so it's nice to hear from another person who is sensitive to noise that these rooms shouldn't be problematic.

I think it was Hank, a frequent poster who recommended cabins aft of 9108 on the starboard side and its corresponding cabin port side and his advice is very accurate. We have stayed in that immediate area three or four times and the cabins are under the carpeted area of the Oceanview Cafe. I am a very light sleeper and have never heard a peep from above. If we can't get 1140 or 1138 those cabins on deck 9 are my first choice.

We found there was relief with the overhang on a Bermuda stop and fortunately we were bay side and loved the island lights at night.

Enjoy!

I'm glad to hear this. I wouldn't anticipate too much noise being underneath the solarium, but I think being under the buffet or pool deck would drive my husband insane. It sounds like the balcony will be ideal, though, so perhaps we'll look at a room under the solarium and hope for the best.

I stayed in 9099 on Connie and the noise from the pool above was terrible in the early AM with chair scraping and heavy footed joggers. Also, if there are any pool parties on deck expect to stay awake until the band is done. Someone else on our cruise stayed in A2 farther back under the buffet and didn't hear a peep. I am very noise sensitive and would never stay in a cabin under the pool deck again. Same thing on S-class.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think it was Hank, a frequent poster who recommended cabins aft of 9108 on the starboard side and its corresponding cabin port side and his advice is very accurate. We have stayed in that immediate area three or four times and the cabins are under the carpeted area of the Oceanview Cafe. I am a very light sleeper and have never heard a peep from above. If we can't get 1140 or 1138 those cabins on deck 9 are my first choice.

We found there was relief with the overhang on a Bermuda stop and fortunately we were bay side and loved the island lights at night.

Enjoy!

I'm not hank, but I think it was my recommendation. We have stayed in M-class 9108/10/12 (for some reason we seem to always book starboard) and they are quiet with carpeted public area above. 9106 is under a prep area and can get noisy. I suspect the equivalent cabins on the port side are equally quiet. We have also stayed in 1141 but prior to the MUTS...great cabin, but when we had it there was just unused space above so no noise. I'd now worry about noise from above both day and night.

I'm not hank, but I think it was my recommendation. We have stayed in M-class 9108/10/12 (for some reason we seem to always book starboard) and they are quiet with carpeted public area above. 9106 is under a prep area and can get noisy. I suspect the equivalent cabins on the port side are equally quiet. We have also stayed in 1141 but prior to the MUTS...great cabin, but when we had it there was just unused space above so no noise. I'd now worry about noise from above both day and night.

This is very good info, thank you! Knowing exactly where the carpet is is key.

We were on the Summit last August in 1140 aft. MUTS did not bother us. The best view of the wake. The pigeon was named Pina Colada by the bar crew below. She stayed with us the full cruise except when she went down one deck to beg for food. :D

Pina%20Colada%20enjoying%20the%20view_zpsiu9decq8.jpg

We were lucky we faced away from the other ship docked on our bow at Bermuda.

Bermuda%20Panoramic_zpsxeigf97w.jpg

Below was 1139 Port side last cabin of the passageway at the doorway down to deck 10 sunset bar on the Constellation.

Connie%20bungee%20cord_zpsfrpbrmfs.jpg

Maybe you could get on a wait list for an A1's should one open up.

We have booked 1100 for a Panama cruise in November. By looking at the deck plan, it's hard to tell if there is a door right there. Anybody have any idea?

There is a door that leads onto the exterior of Deck 11 on the way forward to overlook the pool on deck 10. The elevator right outside your door drops you off in the middle of the Oceanview buffet on the starboard side.

We were on the Summit last August in 1140 aft. MUTS did not bother us. The best view of the wake.

Maybe you could get on a wait list for an A1's should one open up.

Your photos are killing me! :) Once we decide on a sailing I will check into a waiting list for the aft balconies, although I have a feeling we are SOL. Good to know MUTS wasn't a problem. I'm guessing in Bermuda we will be off the ship frequently in the evenings anyway so we might not be around to hear it at all.

In 2015 we sailed with family and were in 9110, 9112 and 9114 on the Summit. We were under the entrance to the buffet and had no noise overhead; I'd have no reservations about booking them again. Don't give up on finding an aft cabin. With the exception of the cruise I just mentioned, every time we've sailed on an M-Class ship, I've monitored cabin availability and have been able to score an aft cabin on Deck 11. If you Google "cruise ship cabin availability", you'll find a European travel agent's website that will show you every cabin available in a certain category. Or, regularly go to Celebrity's website, do a mock booking and, one at a time, request every one of the five aft cabins. Someday you might hit it lucky. The closer you get to final payment, the better your odds.

Or, book really, really early. We're doing another family cruise to Bermuda in August of 2018. I booked it right after it went on sale and we have four of the five aft cabins. Party time!

I also stayed in 1138 on the Summit on a 2 week Canada/New England cruise. MUTS is not an issue as long as you are inside with the balcony door closed. But if you want to use that lovely aft balcony and MUTS is playing, forget about peace and quiet. Then again, noise from the bar below on 10 is also there during the day, although that didn't bother me because it thinned out at night. Fortunately for me, there were many nights it was too cold for MUTS. But for a warm weather cruise I won't book an A1 on a M class with MUTS. It really depends on HOW sensitive you are to noise. I am very sensitive to noise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You may still get a little noise occasionally from the towel cart being moved around in the solarium, but should not be too much of a problem.

We prefer the A2 cabins...

Stay away from under the AQ spa cafe & its kitchen....and from our experience on Connie avoid under the bandstand on pool deck It's a nice location til the DJ , dancing and zumba start up...,we were immediately moved and took something more forward.,very quiet and convenient.