Does this make sence?

TORQ

Wow, you people are really coming out of the gate swinging for Carnival here? Just because they have a rule in place for a rate does not make it right. Anyone should be able to cancel any cruise more than 6 months out and Carnival should not be able to keep a dime of your money in that case because they have not yet done anything but take your money. They also will most likely have no problem refilling your cabin. I think you have stared down the barrel of arbitrary rules for so long that you have accepted them without question.

This is also just terrible customer service at this point, If I found out one of my phone employees let a group of 10 plus people in four cabins walk away from a possible future cruise over a $500 fee, I would have their proverbial head.

Actually I thought it said they booked a second cruise and kept the original one, just canceling the family who is expecting.

Early Saver rules are very stringent, which is why they permit sales, fare changes, reduced deposits, etc. If you are uncertain if you will be able to take your cruise, you can always book under another rate, such as past guest.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

There are other rate options without the restrictions of Early Saver that could have been booked, But if you CHOOSE to book under that rate there are restrictions and they apply to all who CHOOSE to book it. Being Platinum is utterly irrelevant.

I would never book a group at such a restrictive rate. Too many variables that could cause some to need to cancel, or change names etc.

I work for a large hotel company that (like most hotel companies) offers guests a variety of rates. Some come with no restrictions (can be cancelled without penalties within a certain time frame) and some with many restrictions (pre-paid, cannot be cancelled for a refund) and every day we hear form guests who CHOOSE to book the more restrictive rates because they are cheaper and expect to be given an exception to the rate policies when their plans change, despite them having agreed to those terms by booking, and if we do not make an exception, we become the mean, uncaring company. :rolleyes:

Wow, you people are really coming out of the gate swinging for Carnival here? Just because they have a rule in place for a rate does not make it right. Anyone should be able to cancel any cruise more than 6 months out and Carnival should not be able to keep a dime of your money in that case because they have not yet done anything but take your money. They also will most likely have no problem refilling your cabin. I think you have stared down the barrel of arbitrary rules for so long that you have accepted them without question.

This is also just terrible customer service at this point, If I found out one of my phone employees let a group of 10 plus people in four cabins walk away from a possible future cruise over a $500 fee, I would have their proverbial head.

There are rates that allow for exactly what I have put in bold. No one is forced to book a more restrictive rate, they choose to do so. If you want the flexibility of being able to cancel prior to a certain date with no financial penalty, then book a rate that allows for that.

There are other rate options without the restrictions of Early Saver that could have been booked, But if you CHOOSE to book under that rate there are restrictions and they apply to all who CHOOSE to book it. Being Platinum is utterly irrelevant.

I would never book a group at such a restrictive rate. Too many variables that could cause some to need to cancel, or change names etc.

I work for a large hotel company that (like most hotel companies) offers guests a variety of rates. Some come with no restrictions (can be cancelled without penalties within a certain time frame) and some with many restrictions (pre-paid, cannot be cancelled for a refund) and every day we hear form guests who CHOOSE to book the more restrictive rates because they are cheaper and expect to be given an exception to the rate policies when their plans change, despite them having agreed to those terms by booking, and if we do not make an exception, we become the mean, uncaring company. :rolleyes:

I did learn this lesson the hard way years ago and now I book nothing that cannot be cancelled. I booked the cruise I am taking in March under past guest. I was asked at least a dozen times by Carnival when calling in for different questions if I wanted to switch to early saver.

That would have been the case IF THEY HAD NOT BOOKED EARLY SAVER.

Carnival is a business and has the right to run the way its practices as it sees fit. Doesn't matter if you feel it is right or wrong.

Passengers have the responsibility to know what rate they are booking. This is why we always, except for two cruises, book Past Guest rate, which is fully refundable until final payment date.

Look at it another way. If I book airfare with a non-refundable rate and have to cancel or change my flight, the airline will charge me a fee. I know this and I willingly don't book refundable rates, which are usually much more expensive.

Anyone should be able to cancel any cruise more than 6 months out and Carnival should not be able to keep a dime of your money in that case because they have not yet done anything but take your money. They also will most likely have no problem refilling your cabin.

What about ALL of the major cruise lines' standard cancellation penalties that start at 75 -90 days out and escalate with ..Loss of deposit .. then 50% .. then 75% .. then 100% .. What have they done besides take your money? You haven't cruise yet. Why should they be allowed to do this?

If I were a manager with a job responsibility that included making sure corporate policies are adhered to in a consistent manner, and if I found out one of my phone employees went ahead and arbitrarily took it upon themselves and waived a published fee contrary to company policy, I would have their proverbial head.

And if management / human resources above me found out I wasn't making sure my department employees were enforcing company policies consistently, they'd have my proverbial head.

1. We learn that they will not take a any child under 6 months old!

2. They WILL charge us a ADMIN FEE of $500.00 to cancel that cruise and rebook one we found for this May.

3. BTW being Platinum pulls no weight, what so ever.

4. So am I totally out of line for being all upset?

5, Life Happens

1. Correct. Passengers must be at least 6 months old.

2. You probably booked Early Saver and therefore have to pay a penalty plus Carnival holds the rest of your deposit for a future cruise. Everyone should always know exactly what rate they are booking under and what the terms of that rate is.

3. Why would anyone think you status would affect the rules??

4. IMO, yes, you are.

5. Yes, it does. Try going with the flow to make life flow smother.

so you think they can give you all the benefits of early saver and the luxury of letting you price match up to 2 days before the cruise but have no downside to it? Early saver has a lot of benefits but it also has stipulations. if everybody called and everybody was allowed to skip the penalty that they told you about up front then why in the world would ANYBODY choose any other rate? there is a reason they are giving the best rate and price match up to 2 days. and thats because there are restrictions.

What good is any other rate carnival provides if this rate allows all the price drops up to 2 days and there was no downside to the rate. your argument makes absolutely no sense at all. when choosing early saver you are betting on gaining all of he benefits against the restrictions given. If carnival didnt put the restrictions , none of the other rates would make sense at all.

I am not sure where the $500 figure is coming from (are there 10 people booked in your group? that would explain it, since the penalty to cancel is $50 pp). If your deposit it more than the penalty, the remaining amount is refunded to your credit card. Sorry you have to lose money, but that is the risk that accompanies the saving for Early Saver. Be careful when you rebook not use ES again - if it's far out someone else could be pregnant or have an infant by then.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I certainly would not want to pay the $500.00 fee either and I am surprised that a long term Carnival customer would not have this gee waived. I usually book past guest rate that allows changes (and have changed almost several cruises). I have a cruise book as a early saver for next year. The PVP I have been working with for year told me that if I need to change, he would take care of the $50.00 fee. I have not had to call him on this yet but I might when I get the school schedule for next year.

One in our group has a decision to make very soon as finally payment is coming up. Her husband died very unexpectedly a month back and she now must find another person to take his place ( at a fee ). Cancel all together ( another fee ) or go by herself. Question is: can she do that? Go Solo!

Yes she can go solo, only money she will get back I believe is port fees.

Yes she can go solo, only money she will get back I believe is port fees.

She may also trigger being charged a "Single Supplement" if she and her husband bought Travel Insurance all change fees would be covered as would the possible Single Supplement charges.

JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not sure where the $500 figure is coming from (are there 10 people booked in your group? that would explain it, since the penalty to cancel is $50 pp). If your deposit it more than the penalty, the remaining amount is refunded to your credit card. Sorry you have to lose money, but that is the risk that accompanies the saving for Early Saver. Be careful when you rebook not use ES again - if it's far out someone else could be pregnant or have an infant by then.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Under Early Saver, the remainder of the deposit is NOT refunded to your credit card. It is held by Carnival for use on a future cruise for 2 years and is lost if not used. Also, the amount being held cannot be used as the deposit for the future cruise. You pay the deposit on the future cruise and then apply the amount being held.

She may also trigger being charged a "Single Supplement" if she and her husband bought Travel Insurance all change fees would be covered as would the possible Single Supplement charges.

JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The "single supplement" would be only added if Carnival was refunding or issuing cruise credit to the other passenger. In this case the wife would be granted the credit as the surviving spouse. So if she feels emotional capable she might as well just take the cruise as a solo, with a refund ( most likely in the former of OBC) of the port fees from her departed husband's fare.

Under Early Saver, the remainder of the deposit is NOT refunded to your credit card. It is held by Carnival for use on a future cruise for 2 years and is lost if not used. Also, the amount being held cannot be used as the deposit for the future cruise. You pay the deposit on the future cruise and then apply the amount being held.

Correct -- been there, done that. But I knew that going in. ;)

Thanks everyone, I know there are rules and also know there are times when there are exceptions to said rules also.It's just that this cruise is (10) months out, and those 4 rooms will not be a problem for CCL to resell. I would not have posed this question if we were within 4 months. Yet even with that CCL would have been able to resell those rooms without a hitch.And we Never Wanted to cancel... All we wanted to do move the cruise up by 7 to 8 months. And if in doing so, the new cruise may cost more! But so be it, just didn't want to be penalized 50 a person on top of the new cruise cost. However that's not possible based on your input and CCL vacation Planners. So instead of all of us going as a family as a Christmas Gift, to them all, as a gift from my wife and I, the seven of us are still going this Dec on the Glory. And the pregnant couple, along with our 3 year old grand daughter, will be going on a cruise with us grandpa and grandma, this Apr. 29 on the Glory as well! It's just we really all wanted to go together as a family. Other than that, I don't want to beat a dead horse anymore! Yet if i was posed with this situation, while working for CCL. I'd like to think I could have got someone to make this exception. However that's not going to happen. So let's just Cruise on shall we?

So let's just Cruise on shall we?

That was my thoughts too. Obviously you calmed down since the thread started. We had a similar situation. We were going to take our whole family (kids and grandkids) on a cruise Jan 2016, fortunately for us when our one daughter found out she was expecting she hadn't booked yet so no money lost there. Our DS and his girlfriend split though so to change her spot to our grandson was a $50 fee. I was mad too. The good news was we were getting another grandchild and we took our DD and her family with us on a cruise Dec 2016 so I got 2 cruises in one year!:D I still book early saver and just cruise on.

When it rains it pours! Our son and daughter in law just got a ultrasound today 22-feb. While there they asked the doc. For a note for CCL just in case. Here where it get better!

The Doctor will not... Do to the Zika virus, so we're out a minimum of another $150 up to $250 in admin fees. Gotta love it!