Keeping tabs on 15 year old

sharimom

Can't you use the Royal IQ app over ships wifi (no need for internet pkg). I think there is a small fee per device to register it but can then cal/message others in your party. We are going to try it next week on Ovation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't you use the Royal IQ app over ships wifi (no need for internet pkg). I think there is a small fee per device to register it but can then cal/message others in your party. We are going to try it next week on Ovation!

Only works on Quantum class and Harmony.

Our 16 year old knows to come find us or we leave a note in the stateroom with our location or when to meet us next...or he leaves us a note on where he is and when he will be back.

Old School...but works fine. Been doing it since he was 13

How much does your current cell provider charge for texts. If you only need to send a few texts it could be quite economical.

OP is on Liberty so no Royql IQ.

Hmmm, teenagers getting texts from home.:eek: Might be something to think about.

Our son is 14 - turns 15 March 1. Since he started with the teen clubs, we have scheduled meet ups throughout the day. For example, before he leaves in the morning we tell him to meet us at 12 in the schooner. At that meeting, we schedule the next time & Place. If he misses a meeting or is late then he knows the consequences (ie loss of privledges, missing out on club, hanging out with us instead of his new friends). He has not missed a time yet :)

We also schedule meet up times. Since we eat dinner together we go over the next days plans and figure out what works for everyone. Generally my kids are around the flow rider or sports court area during the day. At night after dinner they go to the teen parties or the ship parties. They have a curfew and its solid, miss it and your in big trouble.

My DD did miss it one night our last night on Quantum and that was B A D, as in searching the ship for her and her getting a talking to by an officer it was 2:30 am so not sure what his official title was. Oh she was in the card room with a group. Never thought to check the card room but I will now. She has cruised a few times since and has NEVER missed a meeting since then.

Our son is 14 - turns 15 March 1. Since he started with the teen clubs, we have scheduled meet ups throughout the day. For example, before he leaves in the morning we tell him to meet us at 12 in the schooner. At that meeting, we schedule the next time & Place. If he misses a meeting or is late then he knows the consequences (ie loss of privledges, missing out on club, hanging out with us instead of his new friends). He has not missed a time yet :)

This is what we do. Set times every hour or so to meet up. We talk about where we plan to be and if those plans change on either side we leave notes in the cabin. We also do check to make sure our kids are where they said they were going to be. Only once did my son miss a check in and he suffered the consequences it never happened again.

Personally we don't like carrying phones, walkie talkies or whatever around with us, especially if participating in water activities. Less to worry about.

Our kids are now in their 20s so rules are a bit different, but we still do check ins if they aren't with us, just much less often. In this day it is an adjustment not to have immediate contact but it can be done.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Edited by akcruz

My nephew has rules he follows:

All meals are eaten as a family. Without exception. And he knows the time/place for these.

At those meals his parents get a recap of what he's been doing last few hours, what the next plans are, and confirmation he knows the next meet up time.

It seems to work for them.

We have a 16 and 14yo. Both girls. We let them have free range of the ship. The requirements are they need to stay together and let us know where to find them. If they change plans they need to call the room and leave a message or come and find us.

If we need to check messages we either go to the room and check on the phone or I think you could also go to guest services and/or call the operator from a house phone? We typically walk back to the room but its very rare that the girls change plans and if they do they would typically come and find us first.

Most venues onboard have a house phone they could call from and of course every cabin has one as well. We also leave written messages on the door for the kids to find us and they leave messages there as well.

We have used walkies but they are not reliable. Better for in port use if your party splits up and you don't have cell service (Labadee)

-Sean

we have a 12 and 14 year old. last cruise (the then 13 year old) said ok, what time should i be back? Her first time without a parental leash. We have her a time, and the first night she blew it, and my wife freaked. I then explained to her the importance of a curfew - from that point forward, she was back to the room on time if not early. It is a little disconcerting letting them roam free, but you hope that you have taught them enough common sense to not get into a difficult situation.

My twelve year old (11 at the time) wasnt so free, but after dinner he would head to the cafe, grab some dessert and go back to the room, by himself. On occassion when they werent fighting, they would got to the arcade together.

we are going this April - i am less concerned about the older one, who is often out with friends alone now, in town, the mall, etc. The younger one lives in the clouds, so i might need to track him a bit better.

mixplix

[quote=wilmingtech;5230702

We have used walkies but they are not reliable. Better for in port use if your party splits up and you don't have cell service (Labadee)

-Sean

Just FYI. Agree that walkie talkies do not work on the ship because of all the metal. However, they are illegal in many areas of the Caribbean. Same way with camouflage shirts. They interfere with local police communications, and the shirts are associated with police/local military only. Would not risk using walkie talkie on the islands. Labadee is a private RC location, so rules may not apply.

Just tell them when and where to meet you...and get an update on their plans then. It's really not as hard as you're imagining to "keep up" with the others in your party! Communication is the key. You tell them where you'll be...they tell you where they will be...and if either of you change plans, go and tell the others!

However, they are illegal in many areas of the Caribbean.

That's a pretty broad statement.

Not trying to hijack but please post actual locations and regs or at least a link if making a statement like that.

The Family Radio Service and General Mobile Radio Service (Frequencies commonly used with walkie talkies) are all approved for use per the FCC in all US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as well as for use in St. Maarten.

I'm sure there are some frequencies reserved by certain locations. But most places in the Caribbean adhere to FCC rules and regulations to stay compliant with communications to the US.

-Sean

However, they are illegal in many areas of the Caribbean.

That's a pretty broad statement.

Not trying to hijack but please post actual locations and regs or at least a link if making a statement like that.

The Family Radio Service and General Mobile Radio Service (Frequencies commonly used with walkie talkies) are all approved for use per the FCC in all US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as well as for use in St. Maarten.

I'm sure there are some frequencies reserved by certain locations. But most places in the Caribbean adhere to FCC rules and regulations to stay compliant with communications to the US.

FCC has jurisdiction in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. possessions such as Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, and the American Virgin Islands. I'm not aware of any spectrum management authority in any Caribbean country that assigns frequencies "to stay compliant with communication to the US". GMRS radio require a licence to be operated within the FCC's area of jurisdiction, and the license does not permit use outside of these areas. In fact, along the Canada-US border, there are frequency restrictions imposed by the FCC. Also note that operating FRS/GMRS radios is illegal in Europe.

Do you require a license to operate FRS/GMRS radios in Caribbean countries? Yes, in some cases. Here are the licensing requirements for Barbados: http://www.telecoms.gov.bb/website/Documents/Policies/pdf/Family%20Radio%20Service%20Policy.pdf

Bottom line is that it is safer to assume that you can't use FRS/GMRS radios in any foreign country until you check it out.

Like several other posters, we tell the kids it's THEIR responsibility to find us every so often and check in. It's never been a problem.

They can meet friends for breakfast and lunch, but we expect to be told (or have a note left) so we won't wait. We eat for dinner together as a family -- non-negotiable.

Sometime between 9:00 and 11:00 (varied as the kids grew older), the kids are either in the room OR with us. No exceptions. Nothing good goes on too late at night, and how well do we really know these new friends?

My biggest rule is to stay in public areas. That rule wasn't on the list for our first cruise and I was complete horrified when DS and his friend said they went cabin hopping.
Oh, yes. I didn't mention this because I thought we were sticking to the topic of communication with the kids, but -- yes -- Rule #1 is no one in our cabin /you're not in anyone else's cabin. No exceptions. Your new friend may be great, but you still can't go into her cabin. What do we really know about her, her older brother's friend, etc.? No, not even for a minute; if she want to change her shirt or pick up her camera, you don't go.

Better safe than sorry, and it seems that the only parents who don't have the "no going into cabins" rule are the parents who just didn't think of it. My kids' new friends have never been offended; in fact, their parents tend to have the same rule.

FCC has jurisdiction in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. possessions such as Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, and the American Virgin Islands. I'm not aware of any spectrum management authority in any Caribbean country that assigns frequencies "to stay compliant with communication to the US". GMRS radio require a licence to be operated within the FCC's area of jurisdiction, and the license does not permit use outside of these areas. In fact, along the Canada-US border, there are frequency restrictions imposed by the FCC. Also note that operating FRS/GMRS radios is illegal in Europe.

Do you require a license to operate FRS/GMRS radios in Caribbean countries? Yes, in some cases. Here are the licensing requirements for Barbados: http://www.telecoms.gov.bb/website/Documents/Policies/pdf/Family%20Radio%20Service%20Policy.pdf

Bottom line is that it is safer to assume that you can't use FRS/GMRS radios in any foreign country until you check it out.

s

Thanks for the assist! I was merely trying to give vacation advice, and don't claim to be an expert. Interesting you posted a link to Barbados. That was one area that I knew of. Stayed there at a resort and one of the notifications we received explained walkie talkies were not to be used on the island.

Getting off the ship in Cartegena, not actually the Caribbean, there was a sign saying no camouflage and no walkie talkies. That was a few years back; rules could have changed.

My biggest rule is to stay in public areas. That rule wasn't on the list for our first cruise and I was complete horrified when DS and his friend said they went cabin hopping.

I agree we have drilled in our kids head to never ever go to someone else's room or even walk down the room hallways.

We make rules that work for our kids and our family they don't work for every family. Our kids also know we check the seapass account every day so if they make a charge they tell us about it. No $1,000 arcade surprise at the end of the cruise. Our son might go to the arcade but he knows he can spend a set amount say $20 and he has never gone over. Both kids have the everything but alcohol drink package so no need to buy drinks. If they didn't I would also give them a drink budget.

My DS does not care for the parties he would rather read of play video games so he is back in our cabin early. DD loves making friends and dancing so we let her its her vacation too. She has the ship curfew of 1:00 am.

I'm sure you'll see that there's several options. We've done like many others and just set times and locations to meet up at. Our 13 year old was always back at the cabin at a certain time to get ready for dinner. Lunch he could do on his own though. This is only for sea days, obviously on port days we're doing things off the ship. We've only cruised Carnival up until now, so I can't speak to any of the technology available on RCI. We didn't use anything on Carnival though. My teenager doesn't have a phone (I know, the horrors! :eek: LOL!). You just need to set the ground rules before you board and then when you get on the ship make sure your child knows their way around. My son knew pretty much where to find us on the ship if we weren't in the room.

We would tell our daughter where we would be during the day and she would check in every so often (she would be at the pool with her new friends or getting food with them). In the evening she would always be at the Teen Club but was able to come and go with other Teens. She was not to cross open decks at night and she was not allowed in other cabins. When she was a younger teen we set an earlier curfew than 1am and if there was something she was enjoying in the Living Room she would phone the cabin and ask for an extension. She would not dare to come back late! It worked well for us.