Is a long telephoto needed?

framer

I'm doing a trip around Great Britain in late April. The question I have is there any reason to have a 300 or 400 mm lens with me. Anything to take photos of north of Scotland in the north sea? I'm thinking a 70-200 as the largest lens to hull around. We'll be doing 7 cities so I'm planning on using WA for most stuff.

framer

. . . The question I have is there any reason to have a 300 or 400 mm lens with me.

We visited Great Britain last May. Although I took various lenses, I found myself using a 24-120mm f/4 probably 90% of the time.

I suggest taking a 300 or 400mm only if there were specific plans to view wildlife.

I'm not planning on much wildlife stuff, but we have two sea days from Ireland to Germany around the north of Scotland. Unless there is something of interest on that part of the cruise that require a long lens they will be staying home.

framer

I've started to find that unless I'm really planning on wildlife viewing, I don't need anything longer than 100mm for when I travel. In fact, my longest is often 70mm or 85mm on full frame (equivalent of a 50mm on crop)

When I travel, I'm trying to capture the scene, re-create the Impression I'm forming with my own eyes. Not usually zooming in on a distant detail.

I always carry ultrawide -- a 10-18 on crop, or 14mm or 18-35 on full frame. I'll carry something normal view-- on full frame, either 24-70 or 45/1.8. And for portraits of my family, I'll use the 70mm end of the 24-70 or I'll also bring a 85.

I may end up missing a few telephoto shots but really not that many.

My 2¢ comes from a string of recent non-Alaskan cruises where the 18-105 never came off the camera and the second body was 99% wide angle or Lensbaby. I still carry the 55-210 along but it is used less and less since I got the 18-105.

Dave

I take mine. I also take a Manfrotto tripod. With bag, lenses, flash units it is a lot to lug around. Good for serious shots where you take time and set up.

For situtations you will be seeing a lot of sights and briefly, it can be cumbersome to deal with. How many if your shots are distant vs closer up. Big lens may too overkill for some.

Have a great trip