Cabin fridge and Insulin

HomelessBear

We were on her sister ship the Ruby in April on a Mexican Riviera 10 day.. I don't use insulin but do use Forteo injections and they also need refrigeration. The refrigerator worked fine, what I did was boost it a bit by keeping the ice bucket full in the fridge just to keep the temp down a bit more. I really had no way of actually testing the inside temp of the fridge but it certainly felt cool enough. I had asked a similar question prior to our trip and several folks with insulin shared that they had done that and had no problems. The steward also provided a sharps container to dispose of the used needles. Hope you have a great trip.

Just spent 22 days on the Caribbean. I use insulin as well as Victosa. No problems. Fridge worked just fine.

I also bought a travel cooler bag to fly with that you could then leave your insulin in the fridge. Go to Amazon or such online and find one there. Be sure that you watch for the first day so as not to freeze your insulin. I've heard of that happening as well.

The fridge is fine, also if you ask the night before departing and explain why they will refreeze your cool block for the long journey home. This was the case for me on the Golden Hawaii roundtrip. I was able to safely get my medication home from LA.

Does anyone know if the cabin fridge at the right temperature for storing insulin?

If it makes any difference it will be Emerald Princess.

Thanks.:)

Was on the Emerald last May. Our bottled water was always kept cold inside the cabin fridge. I am not sure if that is any indication for the right temperature to store your insulin.

If the fridge in in a cabinet, and not cooling well, simply put something in the cabinet door to keep it ajar....fridges need airflow to work correctly! It will be fine. Most insulin nowadays doesn't need refrigeration once opened.

Agree that most insulin once opened doesn't need to be kept in a fridge - done quite a few cruises to warmer climates and never had a problem. When living in Canada (Kamloops to be specific) never heard of the room temperature stable insulin and it certainly wasn't suggested by my family doctor.

Agree that most insulin once opened doesn't need to be kept in a fridge - done quite a few cruises to warmer climates and never had a problem. When living in Canada (Kamloops to be specific) never heard of the room temperature stable insulin and it certainly wasn't suggested by my family doctor.

While I keep my insulin pens in the frig until the first use. My doctor had told me the as long as I keep them below 86 degrees I did not need to refrigerator them. Once you open an insulin pen for the first time you don't need to refrigerate them but you must use them within the next 28 days. I don't have that problem as my Lantus pens are use up within 10days and my Novalog is used with 6 days.

If the fridge in in a cabinet, and not cooling well, simply put something in the cabinet door to keep it ajar....fridges need airflow to work correctly! It will be fine. Most insulin nowadays doesn't need refrigeration once opened.

That's nice to know, the Sun Princess has more of a cool bar fridge than a proper fridge. I need to keep my Thyroid medication cool that is taken daily.