Royal has cancelled all port stops in Ephesus (Turkey) for the rest of the 2017 seaso

mattso_22

Ehphesus has been changed to Kotor, Montenegro on our itinerary. Was looking forward to Turkey, but having family who experienced the Tunisian beach attacks 2 years ago, safety is of paramount importance in my book.

My only reservation about this is that Kotor may be similar somewhat to Dubrovnik, which we're also visting. Can anybody give their views on that point ?

Many Thanks

Disappointed that we're not going to Ephesus - we've been redirected to Kotor, instead.

My only reservation is that it may be too similar to Dubrovnik, which we're also visiting.

Any thoughts ?

Is is similar, as in a walled city, but completely different scale - Kotor is a much smaller town, and the walls are nowhere near the same condition.

The sail in to Kotor, however, is something else - like sailing into the fjords, or one of the Scottish lochs.

We found out on here first about the Kusadasi cancellation; we now have Mykonos as the replacement port.

DW is a bit disappointed as she's a high school history teacher, we had our excursion booked at Turkey for the Brilliance sailing June 30th. Having been to Turkey years ago I actually supported RCL's decision to not go there, we had some issues/situations when we visited there with US Navy port visit as well.

Disappointing for some, I just hope there's some good excursion to do in Mykonos.

We found out on here first about the Kusadasi cancellation; we now have Mykonos as the replacement port.

DW is a bit disappointed as she's a high school history teacher, we had our excursion booked at Turkey for the Brilliance sailing June 30th. Having been to Turkey years ago I actually supported RCL's decision to not go there, we had some issues/situations when we visited there with US Navy port visit as well.

Disappointing for some, I just hope there's some good excursion to do in Mykonos.

As a history teacher go to Delos from Mykonos!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...

I lived in Turkey for four years. Those memories are priceless. We all enjoyed every single second we were there. We toured all over the country and this was during the first gulf war. I am sad that I will probably never get to go back. I am certain it would not be the same. The food was so incredible! Loved the people, too.

Heads up!

I'm due to sail on the Jewel in October, and one of the stops was Turkey. Just received an email from Royal that said that they've decided to remove Ephesus (Kusadasi) from all cruise itineraries for the remainder of the 2017 Mediterranean season. They've replaced it with Rhodes, Greece.

Kind of glad. Was a little worried about it.

Affected sailings:

May 6, May 15, May 24, June 2, September 10, September 19, September 28, October 7 and October 16 (all in 2017).

Yes that is truly a good thing- there has been a lot of turmoil over there in the past year or two and i think it is a bit too dangerous.

We cruised with Celestyal from May 1st to 5th as part of a month long European holiday.

I was so happy our stop in Kusadasi and excursion to Ephesus were not cancelled and this was by far my favourite port on the cruise.

At no time did we feel unsafe and I would happily go back there for a land holiday as there was so much more to see that we didn't have time for.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed Ephesus. Royal replaced Ephesus with Rhoades (Greece) on our May 6 cruise on Jewel of the Seas. We were happy we had the chance to see Rhodes but we were disappointed about not going to Ephesus - many of our cruise friends had been to Ephesus previously. And as our ports became all EU stops, whatever was purchased on board had 22% vat added - including for on board purchases of dinners, the ship was not selling cigarettes or bottles of alcohol.

Heads up!

I'm due to sail on the Jewel in October, and one of the stops was Turkey. Just received an email from Royal that said that they've decided to remove Ephesus (Kusadasi) from all cruise itineraries for the remainder of the 2017 Mediterranean season. They've replaced it with Rhodes, Greece.

Affected sailings:

May 6, May 15, May 24, June 2, September 10, September 19, September 28, October 7 and October 16 (all in 2017).

P&O have done the same - better safe than sorry ;p

Heads up!

Affected sailings:

We are on in 2018 and I hope they change it for then as well. I would prefer Rhodes.

• 3 months later...

We are on Jewel and the stop in Kusadasi (May 24, 2018) is still on the "books" but ship excursions list only 1.

Seems like RCL is hedging for 2018. We haven't been to Rhodes, so we would be ok with that substitution since

we have been to Kusadasi before.

• 1 month later...

Not sure $30 pp will buy off RCI but:

The Turkish government is opening its wallet in a bid to attract cruise ships back to the country’s ports, as cruise traffic has dramatically fallen off in the Eastern Mediterranean amid geopolitical issues.

According to a Hürriyet report, which could not be confirmed, the government will pay $30 per passenger as an incentive on ships carrying 750 or more guests through Dec. 31.

It is unclear whether the offer extends beyond 2017, as most cruise lines are already deep in the stages of planning 2019 and 2020 itineraries.

The report said that Turkey welcomed some 1.8 million cruise passengers in 2015, and is expecting just over 200,000 this year.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/17880-turkish-government-to-pay-for-cruise-ships-to-come-back.html