Binoculars

es0

I have a really nice pair of Nikon binoculars, but they are too big and too expensive for me to enjoy traveling with them.

These are what I have and take on vacation/cruises/travel. In some instances, you lose some magnification (although these are 10 power and the ones you linked are only 7 power) and field of view with the small size, but they are so much easier to pack/carry than the larger variety and have worked great on cruise vacations. Also are shock and waterproof:

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Waterproof-Compact-Prism-Binocular/dp/B006U0Z72U/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1487607469&sr=8-7&keywords=Bushnell+H2O

Dan.

You don't need anything too strong, or, too expensive. At sea, you're moving so it's hard to focus on anything! The higher the power, the hard it is to "find" anything at a distance! Ours are Nikon 10X 22X50.....have had them for 25 years or more! They are (in the case) about the size of a hardcover book. We take them on EVERY beach vacation, whether it's a cruise or not!

Moving so u cant focus?.....the usual ridiculous reply from u know who.....

25.00 wont get much quality but go for it if thats all u want to spend.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Forums mobile app

I am not opposed to spending more, but I can't justify spending over $100 for a recreational pair.

Optics are not really something I'd buy on the super cheap. Bargain basement binoculars are usually more trouble than they're worth. Once you've looked through a decent pair of binoculars you wont waste time and aggravation fighting with a cheap pair again.

My advice is to bump up the budget a bit (if you can). Optics are a product where more expensive gear is usually well worth the extra cost. And if you take care of them, they can last a long time. Some brands even have great replacement / repair warranties. Go in an outfitter like Bass Pro that sells a full line and try a bunch out. You will see the difference, and know what fits your eye and budget.

You can get a pretty decent and fairly compact pair from a lot of makers but my price point starts at about $250 to get anything I am willing to lug around and fool with.

Good suggestion above to try some in person. I would suggest 8 or 10 power and minimum 28-30mm objective lens. If u spend under 100 on small binocs (20-25mm) they will be a pain in the a$$ and of little use. A little searching on Google will yield some sites that specialize in optics info and specs. One online suggestion to purchase would be Eagle Optics. Good firm with lots of options.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Forums mobile app

This might sound strange, but we're pretty successful just using our phones and cameras. My iPhone does a pretty good zoom (not ultra clear with digital zoom, but I can make out what I'm looking at). My wife has a Canon camera with 50x zoom and we call it our spycam. We can zoom in on almost anything and look at it right on the screen. The camera costs around $249, but it's also useful as a camera so that's it's primary purpose. We use it a lot for looking at things on share and my wife is going to pack it along anyway because she loves taking pictures of faraway things like lighthouses.

Tom

Size does matter. Get the smaller "pocket" size as you will be more apte to carry them and have them when you want. We have taken pocket and larger better binoculars and find the smaller pair gets used more and are just as good.

Caveat is Alaska, take stronger powered and take two pair to avoid fighting over who's turn it is.

I studied up on binoculars two years ago before purchasing ours. Here is what I learned. 10 power max or the field of view will diminish and you will have a tough time finding what you are looking at. If you go over 10 power folks talked about them making them seasick. Not sure how but heard it many times. Waterproof is not fog proof. Fog proof is waterproof. It taking them from inside the cabin out on to the balcony this is a consideration. I purchased fog proof. You tend to get what you pay for but cannot go crazy at the same time. Mine are fairly large but are not a problem with packing or whatever.

The figures cited for binoculars relate to magnification power and field of view. I would think for around $80 you should be able to find a decent set of reasonable size to drop into a backpack. I like the wider field of view as it makes it easier to find something you want to look at and then use the zoom to see more detail.

You don't need anything too strong, or, too expensive. At sea, you're moving so it's hard to focus on anything! The higher the power, the hard it is to "find" anything at a distance! Ours are Nikon 10X 22X50.....have had them for 25 years or more! They are (in the case) about the size of a hardcover book. We take them on EVERY beach vacation, whether it's a cruise or not!

While technically correct, I find my 10x50 nikons very useable. I mainly use them on my balcony and I'm not above using the railing or balcony wall to stabilize myself on.

I have the Nikon Travelite II which are compact and work very well. I purchased mine at a garage sale for about 10 bucks. They sell the newer version for about $100 or so but if you have time you can get a set on Ebay in the $20 - $40 range if you are patient.

I have the Nikon Travelite II which are compact and work very well.

I have those and they do work great and I love that they fold down so small they even fit in the cargo pocket of my shorts. In my other life I got those at work and spent may hours on surveillance using them. Somehow when I retired they made it home with me and after 15 years they are still getting plenty of use.

I will say the field of view isn't the widest, but it's OK. Better to have them because they are compact than leave a bigger pair in the cabin when you need them on deck.

Note how objective and power affect your viewing pleasure.

The average human eye had a 5mm diameter

The first number represent the power of how close the bino brings objects away from you to see closer. The objective affects the Field Of View.

So a 7x25 formula for eye diameter is objective divided by power equals effective pupil

7 / 25 = 3.5

That is well below what you eye can deal with. So you do not get as much light transmission and you will have a very narrow Field of View (FOV). What you see will be lessened if the light around you is low or the sun just rising or setting.

A bino with an 8 power and 40mm objective will get you the 5.0 exit to match your pupil. Very good light gathering capability (too much over 5.0 will distort what you are looking at due to too much light coming in)

FOV. Can be imagined as this: if you were looking at a stage a narrow FOV will not show the full cast when they take their bows. Wider FOV you will see more of the cast if my example explains it.

I have also see folks with high power and objective i.e. 16x60

Pupil is now 3.5 but binos in this range tend to be very large, heavy and what you are looking at can wobble unless you buy a tripod to hold the bino to keep it stready.

Price is a personal issue. Binos around $250 are adequate if you will not be using it often.

Higher price binos indicate better glass, glass coatings which improves the details of what you are looking at.

Audubon web site has some info on binos although after decades of using binos alot I 'moved up" from average binos as I am a serious outdoorsman.

I have the Swarovski CL 8x30. For wider FOV I have the Swarovski SLC 8x42.

I use this for each Swarovski BSP bino suspender pro binocular strap harness to keep them steady while I observe what I am looking at.

Either bino provides sIgnificant clarity and picks up percise details that will impress.

The CL can be adjusted for depth of field, the SLC you set once and lock in.

A newer version if the SLC is coming out where they made modifications to the objective lens caps and some other changes.

Prior to Swarvoski I ran the gamut from Leupold, Nikon, Vortex and other well know brands. They were good enough but once I got the Swaro's my viewing pleasure entered a new realm !

So, get what you prefer. Try and test a few at a store that carries a wide selection of brand name binos. Off-brands may be cheaper but I am not certain of their warranty/service reputation.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by FireStation46