Different Names on Photo ID and Birth Certificate

TucsonToo

Has anyone tried to cruise lately with their birth certificate and photo id where the names did not match due to marriage. The marriage ended in divorce over 20 years ago so they don't have their license to bridge the two names. Why they didn't listen to me when I told them to at least get a passport card. . . we sail in 14 days.

There will be no problem when boarding. Any problem that may crop up might come when doing the CBP interview at disembarkation. CBP "recommends" that a bridging document be carried to explain any name changes, but many folks never have to produce them. It all depends on how digitized the records are for your locales (both birth location and past and present residences). CBP uses the entire cruise to vet passengers, so if they can find records showing the name change progression, then you are fine. It will not prevent the person from re-entering the US, but it may result in a delay as they explain to CBP the name progression, and then CBP looks up available records.

Week in, week out, thousands of women board a Carnival cruise ship on closed loop cruises with only their Government issued Birth Certificates and a Government issued photo ID such as a Drivers License with their current legal married (or divorced) name on it.

The 1st names and the DOB should match.

If the names don't match, it sounds like they kept their married name. Just because they're divorced doesn't mean they can't get the marriage license. Just go back to the town they lived at the time and get a copy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

In Texas,our driver's license uses the maiden name as the middle name - is that not true of other states?

In California you can choose which name you want to use in your DL after marriage. I use First Maiden Married, SIL uses First Middle Married.

When my son and his wife went on a cruise they were denied boarding because her license had her married name and didn't match her birth certificate. Some how they gave them access to a computer to go into the county records and find their marriage license but if that didn't work they were not getting on the ship. They were only married for less than a year so maybe that made it easier but I would not think that only your first names have to be the same that just doesn't sound right. This was at the port of Miami.

I could't find on Carnivals website where it specifically addresses the issue. Since we've sailed many times on RCL and we had a problem that almost cost us a cruise (she now has a passport), I looked on theirs and found this. Maybe Carnival is different but seems like it would be the gov't that makes the rules.

Again, this is from Royal Caribbean's website

s.gif

Cruise Documents

Q: Does the name on my reservation need to match the name on my passport?s.gif

A: Yes. It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy. Additionally, if you are using an identification (e.g., driver's license) and a citizenship document ( e.g., birth certificate), then BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding.

I guess I'm confused. The name on their BC should have nothing to do with any prior divorce 20 years ago. It will list the birth name. All they need is a marriage or divorce certificate showing why the legal name changed which they should have a copy of and if not is easily available.

I could't find on Carnivals website where it specifically addresses the issue. Since we've sailed many times on RCL and we had a problem that almost cost us a cruise (she now has a passport), I looked on theirs and found this. Maybe Carnival is different but seems like it would be the gov't that makes the rules.

Again, this is from Royal Caribbean's website

s.gif

Cruise Documents

Q: Does the name on my reservation need to match the name on my passport?s.gif

A: Yes. It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy. Additionally, if you are using an identification (e.g., driver's license) and a citizenship document ( e.g., birth certificate), then BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding.

The government does make the rules, but cruise lines may impose a stricter standard if they choose to. The DHS regulations that contain the closed loop exception make absolutely no mention of this. As Chengkp75 points out CBP checks all of the records during the cruise, and the DMV records are one of the databases they have access to. When a married woman applies for a name change on her license (or anyone for that matter) she has to provide a marriage certificate or other document supporting that change which is then part of the DMV record. As long as CBP can verify that then there will be no problems, but these records are maintained by human beings so occasionally the record may be incomplete which may result in a delay at disembarkation. Before we got our EDL's and then our passports we always brought our marriage certificate but never had to produce it.

The government does make the rules, but cruise lines may impose a stricter standard if they choose to. The DHS regulations that contain the closed loop exception make absolutely no mention of this. As Chengkp75 points out CBP checks all of the records during the cruise, and the DMV records are one of the databases they have access to. When a married woman applies for a name change on her license (or anyone for that matter) she has to provide a marriage certificate or other document supporting that change which is then part of the DMV record. As long as CBP can verify that then there will be no problems, but these records are maintained by human beings so occasionally the record may be incomplete which may result in a delay at disembarkation. Before we got our EDL's and then our passports we always brought our marriage certificate but never had to produce it.

True - but as I had posted earlier, they COULD be denied boarding. My wife had to produce a bridging document, in this case our marriage certificate before she was allowed on board the Victory......

True - but as I had posted earlier, they COULD be denied boarding. My wife had to produce a bridging document, in this case our marriage certificate before she was allowed on board the Victory......

Definitely better to have it than not have it but if they did deny boarding based on something they impose that is over and above what the government requires then they'd likely have to refund the passenger's fare (although the passenger would very likely have to fight for it).

Any illegal immigrant can borrow a birth certificate that says they were born in the USA. That is what the regulation is. Proving you are a Legal American Citizen, born in this country. The DL is a picture ID, which is used to identify you by picture and name, matching the BC. If you can't prove that BC is yours, by other government ID's, DL or passport, than it's worthless piece of paper.

You can argue this all day, but the cruise line, airlines, or government can deny boarding without proper ID.

If you have no Passport, than bring a Birth Certificate, all bridging documents for name changes, DL, adoption records, divorce records, and any thing else that proves you are who you are.

It does not matter, if a stranger, on this board was never asked for it. Do you want to be denied boarding based on a stranger's opinion? Bring it.

If you have no Passport, than bring a Birth Certificate, all bridging documents for name changes, DL, adoption records, divorce records, and any thing else that proves you are who you are.

It does not matter, if a stranger, on this board was never asked for it. Do you want to be denied boarding based on a stranger's opinion? Bring it.

Let's see...my birth certificate: name one, my naturalization papers: name two, marriage one: name three, marriage two: name four, legal name change back to an earlier surname...over the course of 70 years. I'm sure I have all the paperwork delineating each of these changes, NOT.

If you are traveling from the US in a closed loop cruise (returning to a US port) regulations say you need a US birth certificate and a current picture ID (driver's license) matching your "booking" name. Nothing else is required. If you were not born in the US you need a passport or naturalization papers.

You can't get a driver's license (anywhere in the US) unless you have previously "proven" name changes.

The only time a marriage certificate is required is when you book in your (probably fairly new) married name and you haven't, yet, updated your driver's license.

All the "false" information on this board is laughable.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

Let's see...my birth certificate: name one, my naturalization papers: name two, marriage one: name three, marriage two: name four, legal name change back to an earlier surname...over the course of 70 years. I'm sure I have all the paperwork delineating each of these changes, NOT.

If you are traveling from the US in a closed loop cruise (returning to a US port) regulations say you need a US birth certificate and a current picture ID (driver's license) matching your "booking" name. Nothing else is required. If you were not born in the US you need a passport or naturalization papers.

You can't get a driver's license (anywhere in the US) unless you have previously "proven" name changes.

The only time a marriage certificate is required is when you book in your (probably fairly new) married name and you haven't, yet, updated your driver's license.

Let's see about the false information. From the CBP Information Center, here:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209/kw/WHTI-compliant%20document/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ4NzY4ODQ1NS9zaWQvalVVMmtPYm4%3D

"US Citizens: US Citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance may travel using your US passport or other WHTI approved document in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change."

So, I guess the CBP is providing false information on their own website?

And to forestall anything, what is the WHTI "document" you are traveling on? The combination of the drivers license and birth certificate. So, since one of the two documents required to make up a WHTI compliant document does not match, you need the bridging document. As noted, due to the low threat level that cruise passengers are thought to present, many CBP agents utilize the discretion given to them to not look for the bridging document, but they can.

Just because one person, or even most persons, don't have to prove their name changes, does not mean the information is "false", any more than saying it repeatedly makes news "fake". Does the experience of the 11 passengers who "bypassed" TSA security at JFK yesterday prove that there is no airport security?

Herfnerd; What you say it true, and I should have said that usually it does not represent a problem at boarding, but with a check in agent who is thorough, it might, though the incidents I've heard on CC of denied boarding for lack of bridging document are less than those for needing it at disembarkation.

Edited by chengkp75

So if I read correctly, your current name is back to your original name after 3 divorces? If so, than it now matches your BC, and no need to bring the papers of everything in between.

In CA, an illegal immigrant can get a drivers license, and that does not prove you are a US citizen. The BC proves it, and the DL shows the picture, and a bridge document shows the name change.

The only important thing to remember is if you show up at the port, without proof you are a US citizen, you can be denied boarding. The rules change all the time, and at any given time, you better be prepared.

Wow - that is such an ignorant statement. The issue is that while its true that you can't get a DL without a proven name change, the bridging documents are used to show how you got to that point from a piece of paper that only states the name of a person.

What US regulations say is one thing. What the cruise line says is another. Cruise line rules will always trump the minimum US regulations. Had my wife not had our marriage cert with us when asked for it upon request, she would not have been allowed to board no matter what the US regs say.

let's see about the false information. From the cbp information center, here:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209/kw/whti-compliant%20document/session/l3rpbwuvmtq4nzy4odq1ns9zawqvalvvmmtpym4%3d

"us citizens: us citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance may travel using your us passport or other whti approved document in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change."

so, i guess the cbp is providing false information on their own website?

and to forestall anything, what is the whti "document" you are traveling on? The combination of the drivers license and birth certificate. So, since one of the two documents required to make up a whti compliant document does not match, you need the bridging document. As noted, due to the low threat level that cruise passengers are thought to present, many cbp agents utilize the discretion given to them to not look for the bridging document, but they can.

just because one person, or even most persons, don't have to prove their name changes, does not mean the information is "false", any more than saying it repeatedly makes news "fake". Does the experience of the 11 passengers who "bypassed" tsa security at jfk yesterday prove that there is no airport security?

Herfnerd; what you say it true, and i should have said that usually it does not represent a problem at boarding, but with a check in agent who is thorough, it might, though the incidents i've heard on cc of denied boarding for lack of bridging document are less than those for needing it at disembarkation.

boom!

I always take my marriage certificate and have never in 6 cruises been asked for it. My birth certificate does not match my driver's license due to marriage. I just cruised in January and asked the check in agent if she needed my marriage cert and she said no, they check first name and birthdate.

If you are traveling from the US in a closed loop cruise (returning to a US port) regulations say you need a US birth certificate and a current picture ID (driver's license) matching your "booking" name.

if the birth certificate and the picture ID have different names, its impossible to match both to the booking name. one will be right and one wont match.

the only thing laughable is... well ... have a blessed day :rolleyes:

Let's see about the false information. From the CBP Information Center, here:

Herfnerd; What you say it true, and I should have said that usually it does not represent a problem at boarding, but with a check in agent who is thorough, it might, though the incidents I've heard on CC of denied boarding for lack of bridging document are less than those for needing it at disembarkation.

so if my name is different .... they may make me stay on the ship and wont let me leave it.... :confused: hmmmmmm ... I like that idea!!! :D;)