Izumi Hibachi on the Allure and the Dining Package

Hi.....We recently sailed the Harmony for Thanksgiving and had purchased the specialty dining package. I know what the fine print says but on board they allowed us to use our dining package at the Hibachi at Izumi for one meat. If you wanted an extra meat there was an additional charge. We are getting ready to go on the Allure and I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on trying to use their dining package for the hibachi there. Like I said I understand the print but hoping they are changing things up!

Thanks for your help!

• 11 months later...

I have asked several times when sailing on Allure and was told that the package can't be used at Hibachi-EVER. Those were the exact words.

I am surprised that you were allowed to do so on Harmony, but on Allure, Hibachi is booked for every night so they don't need to allow those with the package. Again, that's what I was told.

We are going on Allure again this summer and I will ask again, but I already know the answer.

I have asked several times when sailing on Allure and was told that the package can't be used at Hibachi-EVER. Those were the exact words.

I am surprised that you were allowed to do so on Harmony, but on Allure, Hibachi is booked for every night so they don't need to allow those with the package. Again, that's what I was told.

We are going on Allure again this summer and I will ask again, but I already know the answer.

Thanks for this info. It sounds like a pretty firm no.

Depending on the traffic to the restaurant, you may have better luck on the 1 or 2nd night which are usually slow. The fine print on our Easter Allure cruise, is that it cannot be used for Hibachi and get $35 credit towards the other Izumi version (sushi, etc.)

• 5 months later...

We were on Allure last month and we had bought the ultimate dining package pre-cruise.

I never got the chance to ask if we could use the package in Hibachi - we couldn't even get a reservation in Hibachi. They were booked out every night. We were really disappointed as we've been to Izumi on other ships and really enjoyed it.

Next time I will pay for it separately through the cruise planner and book for the night that we want to go.

We were on the Allure last March and we had the 4 night dining package. We were able to use the package for Izumi's for Sushi but not for the Hibachi grill. That we booked and paid for separately. The meal and show was fantastic.

A little off topic, but can somebody tell me if the hibachi is any different than the land based ones? It seems to be very popular on the ships, but I don’t really get it since it’s more expensive. Usually you get some sort of discount since you already have a meal that is paid for through the MDR. I love hibachi and we go often at home, just wondering if there is anything special on the cruise?

A little off topic, but can somebody tell me if the hibachi is any different than the land based ones? It seems to be very popular on the ships, but I don’t really get it since it’s more expensive. Usually you get some sort of discount since you already have a meal that is paid for through the MDR. I love hibachi and we go often at home, just wondering if there is anything special on the cruise?

Nothing special. There is a limited number of seats and a lot of demand so they charge accordingly

Usually you get some sort of discount since you already have a meal that is paid for through the MDR.

Not sure what that means - specialty dining prices are what they are. Everyone on the ship has "paid for MDR".

And no the Hibachi on Allure was nothing special, once was enough. By the time he got done chopping up and over cooking the filet and lobster and shrimp it was mostly devoid of the flavor it might have started with.

Agreed. Never seen a credit because of a credit from the MDR.

Not a credit, but more of a reduced price. I would consider Chops on par with Ruth Chris (maybe a little less nowadays) and it costs around $45ish for food. A decent steakhouse would cost about $30 more food only. I think that is the case with most of the specialty restaurants with the exception of Izumi.

The very limited number of seats explains it though.

Not a credit, but more of a reduced price. I would consider Chops on par with Ruth Chris (maybe a little less nowadays) and it costs around $45ish for food. A decent steakhouse would cost about $30 more food only. I think that is the case with most of the specialty restaurants with the exception of Izumi.

The very limited number of seats explains it though.

It really depends on what cruise you are on. Discounts are certainly not a standard offering and are only available if they are having trouble filling the restaurants. We end up sailing at Christmas and March break and rarely see discounts.

I just wanted to mention that I did ask again about using the dining package for Hibachi when we sailed on Allure last month. Once again I was told no. I had made reservations online for Hibachi for the first night thinking they might allow us to use the 5 night package as that was mentioned on a previous post. The same answer, no was given.

I also asked the hostess if I could use the Diamond Plus BOGO offer in Hibachi and once again was told no. I guess, at least for us, no discount is/was available for Hibachi on Allure.

We are sailing on Allure again next June and looking at the cruise planner, it only shows availability for 5, 5:15, 5:30PM and then nothing until 9PM. I don't know if there is no service in there between the times as those times are available every night of the cruise. I notice the same availability on Harmony for January.

By the way, although Hibachi is higher priced than it is locally, I was totally impressed with our food. I had the lobster and scallops and that was a great combination. Other in my family had the filet or the strip steak with chicken. I don't think those with the strip and chicken thought their dinners were that great, but they did taste the filet and loved it. It seems like next year, they all will go with the filet. The serving of filet was large and the chef then cooked a couple more filets for the few at the table that ordered them and gave each some additional filet.

The mochi ice cream was something different. It was strange, but good. The rice flour on the outside tasted like marshmallow and it covered various ice creams. We totally enjoyed the dinner and I had hoped to go again on Harmony, but my sister won't go and she is my traveling companion on that trip. Oh well, I will get there again in June.