Help me convince my husband...

amallison

Apparently I'm going to be using CC a lot to help me get ready for our June 2018 cruise.

My husband and I were talking last night and he tells me that he doesn't want to spend the money for a hotel the night before our cruise. He wants to fly in the morning of the cruise and go straight to the port. The thought of that makes me cringe and of course every bad scenario goes through my mind.

I know this is a terrible idea but he will absolutely not get on board with flying in the day before. I asked him what if we got delayed or if there was some other issue and we missed the ship. His response "we've got travel insurance" and that made me cringe more. I honestly have no clue how to convince him that this is a bad idea.

Help me convince him that we need to fly in the day before.

It's what we do. I'm the opposite of your Husband, I would rather fly in the day before but my wife doesn't. She's big into saving money, can't fault her for that. We do take out insurance and yea it will cover issues but you still miss the boat.

We of course had no problems last week flying in and had plenty of time, but you never know.

In June you'll have a lot less chances of poor weather being an issue. I was worried when we booked that in February we would have one of our famous sleet storms and screw everything up. Ha, was 75 when we left DFW airport.

When we traveled overseas for cruises we sometimes arrived the same day as embarkation. Our belief was that overseas flights are rarely cancelled. The same cannot be said of domestic travel as departures are more subject to cancellations and delays. For stateside departures we always spend the night before near the port.

It's what we do. I'm the opposite of your Husband, I would rather fly in the day before but my wife doesn't. She's big into saving money, can't fault her for that. We do take out insurance and yea it will cover issues but you still miss the boat. We of course had no problems last week flying in and had plenty of time, but you never know.

In June you'll have a lot less chances of poor weather being an issue. I was worried when we booked that in February we would have one of our famous sleet storms and screw everything up. Ha, was 75 when we left DFW airport.

Not true. Summer thunderstorms close airports all the time.

For second cruise we flew in the day of departure. Airline lost my luggage and I had to wait until second port to get it....I will never fly in the same day again.

This is probably my biggest fear honestly. I have terrible luck with luggage. I guess the best solution for that would be to only do a carry-on which is something I'm good at.

It just makes me really flipping nervous.

Not true. Summer thunderstorms close airports all the time.

And June is in the "rainy" season.

I wouldn't risk it. Since June isn't the high season, you can get a hotel room for much less than in the winter.

Out of the last 12 flights I have flown, I have had the following delays:

1. ECP-ATL-MDW (Delta) Plane at ECP delayed 5 hours due to mechanical issue (missed the first day of appointments / meeting for that day had to be rescheduled to a later date).

2. ECP-IAH-SJO (United) Plane diverted from Houston to Corpus Christi due to thunderstorm at Houston, and the plane ended up running out of fuel. This ended up being a 4 hour delay as I missed the connecting flight to Costa Rica.

3. LGA-IAH-ECP (United) Plane delayed at LGA due to weather. Missed IAH-ECP segment and was stuck overnight in Houston to get on the next "available" flight.

4. EWR-ATL-ECP (Delta) Plane delayed in Newark for 6 hours due to weather. Landed in Atlanta at 2 am, as opposed to originally scheduled 8 pm arrival. Needless to say, I missed the connecting flight, and was stuck overnight.

5. MIA-BRU (Tuifly) Idiot at Miami airport decides to leave unattended rental car at departures / drop off level. Bomb sniffing dog alerts to something in the car. Traffic headed to MIA at a stand still for 4 hours while police / bomb squad take a closer look at the vehicle. Traffic backs up heading to the airport for miles while this occurs. Almost all flights from Miami are delayed at least 2 hours due to the incident.

That is a 5 in 12 failure as far as being on time.... If any of those delays occurred on a trip where I was trying to make a cruise ship departure on the same date, I would have missed the boat.

Lessons from this:

1. Travel to your ship a day early.

2. Don't travel with me.

Cruise insurance gets you some of your money back - it will not get you back on the ship or provide you with an enjoyable vacation.

Tell your husband that you are flying in a day early to help ensure that you and your bags make it onto the ship in time - he's on his own! ;)

Didn't say no chances. Just less than winter issues. Thunderstorms delay flights. Rarely do they cancel like winter stuff.Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

We don't get winter storms. Thunderstorms will shut down our airports for hours. Thunderstorms over Atlanta will shut down air traffic all up and down the eastern seaboard for hours. Then the storms travel into the NYC airspace.

Tell your husband that you are flying in a day early to help ensure that you and your bags make it onto the ship in time - he's on his own! ;)

I agree! That's what I'd do! Getting ready for a cruise and traveling is stressful enough without worrying about missing the cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We don't get winter storms. Thunderstorms will shut down our airports for hours. Thunderstorms over Atlanta will shut down air traffic all up and down the eastern seaboard for hours. Then the storms travel into the NYC airspace.

Oh my gosh it can be done. People do it thousands of times a day. The majority of the time the weather is fine. There are always risks but sometimes people HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE, unlike all you people. I'm just gonna back away from this one. It's pointless that my post keeps getting quoted as if I was preaching gospel. Was my experience. Ya'll have fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

Apparently I'm going to be using CC a lot to help me get ready for our June 2018 cruise. My husband and I were talking last night and he tells me that he doesn't want to spend the money for a hotel the night before our cruise. He wants to fly in the morning of the cruise and go straight to the port. The thought of that makes me cringe and of course every bad scenario goes through my mind.

I know this is a terrible idea but he will absolutely not get on board with flying in the day before. I asked him what if we got delayed or if there was some other issue and we missed the ship. His response "we've got travel insurance" and that made me cringe more. I honestly have no clue how to convince him that this is a bad idea.

Help me convince him that we need to fly in the day before.

Book the air and hotel and call it his Christmas gift next year.

If you don't celebrate Christmas, do it for his birthday. :)

DH was the same way when we started cruising. He didn't want to waste the money, blah, blah, blah.

So the first cruise, or maybe two, we flew in the morning of. Never had an issue, but it just starts the day off "stressful", and that's no fun when you are getting on a ship a few hours later.

I finally started letting him read some horror stories about people missing the ship, etc, and now HE is the one booking hotels/air for the night prior.

P.S. DH is a CPA and extremely .........hmmmmmm. CHEAP?:')

And he came around. You should be able to change DH's mind.

Good Luck!!!

And don't forget that June is Hurricane Season. Why take a chance? To save $150 or so on a hotel, and something for dinner? No thanks!

That's what frustrates me! We live in the south, we're both born and raised in hurricane central, we know how unpredictable hurricane season can be! This should be a no-brainer for him!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you even sure the travel insurance will protect you? Travel insurance usually protects you for illness, terrorist events preventing travel, illness of an immediate family member or pet, weather preventing the travel etc..

Here you would have booked a cruise, the cruise would leave with no issue. It would be your flight, that you booked to get to the cruise that would create the issue. I would be sure to follow up and make sure you are protected.

I would say the hotels in June in Florida won't be expensive, unless you are staying near Disney. You could fine something for less than $150.00 that would be just fine. Its just not worth it. You are looking forward to this cruise so much that you are planning it over a year in advance and you want one little mechanical issue or one thunderstorm to not allow you to do the cruise?

If you do end up flying in the same day make sure to get the earliest flight possible. Anyway its WAY WAY to early to book a flight. And you might find cheaper flights the day before. Also, besides for the small chance of the flight not making it, flying in the same day makes the whole first half of the day very stressful. Why not have a relaxing vacation?

I have a little bit of a different take. We both work, have limited cash and time so when we book a cruise we cushion it with a day on both ends, why? If we are going to pay so much in airline fees, we might as well take advantage of exploring the port city that we embark from. We do Airbnb so lodging is cheap (and we can prepare our own meals). We rent a car, which gives us the freedom to move around the city and find all the affordable/cheap things to do. Yes, the cruise is the "destination" but the journey starts the second we lock up our house behind us.

In most cases there are not problems flying in early the morning of a cruise.

Might be best since your husband feels so strongly about it and you have insurance so try not to worry.

If things go wrong you can always say .. "I told you so!" :evilsmile: ;p

We always fly in the day before and I consider this the start of my vacation. It allows us to get settled in to the hotel, see some sights if we want and have a relaxing dinner and evening. And do a last minute check for anything we might have forgotten to grab. Happens more than I care to admit. By the time it's time to board the ship, the stress of everyday life is gone and only happy feelings. If I had to fly in same day, I would be a basket case. Between weather, mechanical malfunctions, flight delays, traffic delays, any necessary last minute stops stress would ruin my embarkation. Unhappy wife makes for a miserable hubby. Which scenario do you prefer? What type of wife would your hubby prefer. Best of luck!

Yep, even in June. Fly in a day early!!. On our last cruise (i know this is very unusual) but the Fort Lauderdale airport was closed due to the 5 killings. I about freaked when I got a text on my cell at 10pm that our early flight the next morning was cancelled!!.

Susan from Indiana