Using a CPAP on the Koningsdam

cabinluvn

I tried using the search feature and could not find an answer, so forgive me if the topic has been covered before

Just got my CPAP and am making friends with it...not easy. However, will be sailing the Koningsdam in July and am wondering if there are outlets by the night stands. I know the older ships do not and when I sail them I will need an extension cord. If there is an outlet, will I need a converter to plug in the CPAP?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have never been on that ship but my husband has used a CPAP on both the Oosterdam and the Eurodam. Contact ship services or your PCC and have them request an extension cord for your CPAP. You can also order (and pay for) distilled water if you need it.

I was thinking I would have to bring my own extension cord, so thank you for that information. Since the ship uses reverse osmosis for the drinking water, I was thinking that would be ok to use? Or not? I might have to bring my own extension cord anyway to use at the hotels before and after...just stayed at a La Quinta this week and closest plug was across the room on the desk lamp!

I tried using the search feature and could not find an answer, so forgive me if the topic has been covered before

Just got my CPAP and am making friends with it...not easy. However, will be sailing the Koningsdam in July and am wondering if there are outlets by the night stands. I know the older ships do not and when I sail them I will need an extension cord. If there is an outlet, will I need a converter to plug in the CPAP?

I took mine on it's first cruise when we went on the Koningsdam... Yes, there is a standard 120v plug right next to the bed, along with a couple of USB charging outlets.

And, you can call ahead to Ship Services and order some distilled water to be delivered to your cabin. Someplace around $4 for a gallon or so (might have been 4 liters).

I took mine on it's first cruise when we went on the Koningsdam... Yes, there is a plug right next to the bed, along with a couple of USB charging outlets.

Glad they thought ahead when building the ship...no need for an adapter?

I was thinking I would have to bring my own extension cord, so thank you for that information. Since the ship uses reverse osmosis for the drinking water, I was thinking that would be ok to use? Or not? I might have to bring my own extension cord anyway to use at the hotels before and after...just stayed at a La Quinta this week and closest plug was across the room on the desk lamp!

I keep a couple of extension cords in my CPAP tote, just in case. I often need one in a hotel, and usually on a HAL ship. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I also have an assortment of adaptors that live in the tote, too.

I've used the ship's water in my CPAP since I've been taking one with me (decades now). Some of those cruises have been quite long, and there has been no problem with the machine.

I have not found a need to purchase distilled water (nor to lug some aboard, either).

Glad they thought ahead when building the ship...no need for an adapter?

I used mine over Christmas and the plugs are a standard 120v plug (both sides of the bed). The table had a spot for me to store my cpap carry bag and as someone else mentioned, the distilled water is $4 a gallon.

Thanks everyone. New to all this and trying hard to accept it as a permanent night companion

It won't take too long to adjust to it and after a while you won't be able to sleep without it. I love mine!

Thanks everyone. New to all this and trying hard to accept it as a permanent night companion

It does take a bit to adjust to using a CPAP. I've just recently got a new one (after 8 years my old one just wasn't working well). It is so quiet and the newer masks are more comfortable, for me anyway.

I have always used tap water on the ship with no issues. I also always carry an extension cord in my CPAP bag-especially for hotel rooms.

Good luck & have a wonderful cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
I keep a couple of extension cords in my CPAP tote, just in case. I often need one in a hotel, and usually on a HAL ship. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I also have an assortment of adaptors that live in the tote, too.

I've used the ship's water in my CPAP since I've been taking one with me (decades now). Some of those cruises have been quite long, and there has been no problem with the machine.

I have not found a need to purchase distilled water (nor to lug some aboard, either).

What kind of extension cord do you have? I had one with a surge suppressor in it sailing on Celebrity and it was confiscated on boarding. I was told by HAL customer service that you are not permitted to bring your own but can get from guest services or room steward. I always need them when travelling. Had to sleep with my head at the foot of the bed that time. Thank goodness it was only 2 nights. Glad to hear using ships water is OK.

Thanks for asking! I was wondering this too. As to getting used to the CPAP, I was able to get used to mine by sleeping in a recliner where I was not tempted to roll onto my side. Even sleeping with enough pillows to prop me up into a semi sitting position helps.

What kind of extension cord do you have? I had one with a surge suppressor in it sailing on Celebrity and it was confiscated on boarding. I was told by HAL customer service that you are not permitted to bring your own but can get from guest services or room steward. I always need them when travelling.

Just a plain, old-fashioned, extension cord. It has a plug to fit into the wall outlet at one end, and an outlet equivalent at the other to accept the plug from the machine. There's no surge protector involved.

Never had a problem getting them aboard, nor using one (or two) while on board. I usually have the cabin steward tape it (them) along the perimeter of the cabin at floor level, then up the cabinetry to the outlet at the desk.

By the way, at the end of a month with the CPAP, we are not quite friends yet, but getting there. Last night I woke up and wondered when I took it off, then reached up and realized I still had it on...guess I am getting used to it!

Ok, I am trying to find an adapter to take on a cruise where I will be spending 2 days before and 3 days after the the cruise in Amsterdam. I understand I do not need a converter for my CPAP as it has it attached to the cord. My search turns up lots of adapters that will work world wide, but all of them say not for use with high powered electronics, and most of them say do not use with CPAP machines. So what do people buy? If someone could send me a link to what they have that works, I would be grateful. Thanks

My search turns up lots of adapters that will work world wide, but all of them say not for use with high powered electronics, and most of them say do not use with CPAP machines. So what do people buy? If someone could send me a link to what they have that works, I would be grateful. Thanks

https://www.magellans.com/ShopCategory.aspx?ID=118,3681

I like the last one on the page---all the separate adaptors. If you need/want a converter, too, the white set would be my choice.

I simply use a adapter for europe purchased at Amazon or the like. Have used it on my CPAP in the Netherlands, Italy France etc. You may want to buy two different types, one with a ground and one without. Never know what your going to find in older hotel rooms.

By the way, at the end of a month with the CPAP, we are not quite friends yet, but getting there. Last night I woke up and wondered when I took it off, then reached up and realized I still had it on...guess I am getting used to it!

Good to hear that you are getting used to it. I have the nose pillow type instead of the mask and I wake up a tiny bit every night as it slips slightly off one nostril or the other and the stream of air on my face wakes me up. Good think I go back to sleep easily.

Good to hear that you are getting used to it. I have the nose pillow type instead of the mask and I wake up a tiny bit every night as it slips slightly off one nostril or the other and the stream of air on my face wakes me up. Good think I go back to sleep easily.

I am on my second type of nose pillow. The first one kept slipping off my nose and the rims of the nasal thingys were causing pressure sores against my nose edges. I have a softer nose pillow now, called the FX for a ResMed machine. It stays in place, even when I roll over. The other night I woke up and wondered when I threw off my headgear, reached up and found I was still wearing it! Guess I am getting used to it!