FLL Airport

khewston

I have not used FLL airport in years but will be flying in a few weeks from now. I have just read some reviews of this airport and not one single one of them were good! I've read the staff is very rude. Anyone flying in or out off FLL experience this? BTW- we have a domestic flight

FLL is our home airport. We've never had a problem with rude airline staff or TSA staff. The real problem is that it is too small to handle all the passengers that pass through it on a Saturday or Sunday in season (December through April). Last year there were a number of weekend days where more than 50,000 passengers boarded/disembarked at Port Everglades and many of them (along with some Port of Miami passengers) transited FLL. If you are traveling on a high season weekend, bring your patience with you.

We've not encountered rude staff at FLL. Actually, they were quite friendly. The airport is small and very busy. Many people end up sitting on the floor because there just aren't enough seats. It seems to get pretty dirty, but I think it's from such high usage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As others have said, never encountered rude staff, but the airport IS too small to handle the volume of people that go through there.

The lines for security (going home) get very long, very fast. Get there as early as you possibly can.

Other than that, just your typical airport. Plenty of shops and eating/drinking establishments.

Enjoy!

FLL can be a mess for departures, with long security lines and limited seating and dining options before security (if you are too early this can be an issue as the airline may not take your bags or security will not let you get in line - when it is very busy).

For this reason we try to avoid weekends from (9 am until after 1 PM) due to the heavy load from cruisers (just watch the buses dump off tons of people after around 9 am). One time we got to the airport about 8:30 am and everything was calm and no lines anywhere - about 30 minutes later the buses began to arrive and things were a mess.

I need advice on return flight departure time - our Nov 20 return flight time. The cruise is scheduled to arrive by 7:00 AM - granted it is T'giving week - but I'd like to catch an 11:15 AM flight with TSA pre-ck security clearance. Can I make it via Taxi from the cruise port if I walk off with luggage by 8 AM? I am familiar with the port and FLL process. I noticed the cruise line flights are 11:45 AM or later departures. ?? Your thoughts are appreciated. (yn)

I need advice on return flight departure time - our Nov 20 return flight time. The cruise is scheduled to arrive by 7:00 AM - granted it is T'giving week - but I'd like to catch an 11:15 AM flight with TSA pre-ck security clearance. Can I make it via Taxi from the cruise port if I walk off with luggage by 8 AM? I am familiar with the port and FLL process. I noticed the cruise line flights are 11:45 AM or later departures. ?? Your thoughts are appreciated. (yn)

Barring unforseen problems (late arrival, understaffed customs and immigration), with a walk off by 8 am and TSA pre-check that flight shouldn't be a problem.

We were off our Dec. cruise at 8:15 am, got our luggage from the roped off area, went through Customs, caught a taxi to the airport and were standing at the gate at 9 AM (we had TSA pre-check), so taking an 11:15 am flight should not be a problem, IF your ships arrives on time and you walk off.

There are many cruise ships in Port Everglades on the weekends during the winter months. Usually around 10 ships or so. Times 4000 people on each ship = 40,000 people all getting off ships in a few hours. Keep in mind many people are flying home the same time as you. FLL has long lines because every person is checking luggage and booking flights from 10am-1pm. I've been to FLL many times and weekend mornings are the worst. Plan on 90 minutes to get from front door to gate. If your cruise ship comes in on a weekday, the wait time is much less

Will be flying home from FLL at 7am the morning after our cruise.

Is the airport and security usually crowded early in the morning or mostly in the afternoons after the disembarking ship passengers get there?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You will be fine, lines will be short at that time. It's around 9am it starts to get very busy

We were off our Dec. cruise at 8:15 am, got our luggage from the roped off area, went through Customs, caught a taxi to the airport and were standing at the gate at 9 AM (we had TSA pre-check), so taking an 11:15 am flight should not be a problem, IF your ships arrives on time and you walk off.

Wow, Dave thank you, thank you....this is the question I've been asking and yours is the best, concise answer I found. I have a cruise, see below, and we're returning on March 20, Monday and booked an 11:30am flight...gonna relax now, and stop asking. I know we can't control the ships arrival, but dIdn't really want to self disembark. Thanks Again 😘

Will be flying home from FLL at 7am the morning after our cruise.

Is the airport and security usually crowded early in the morning or mostly in the afternoons after the disembarking ship passengers get there?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have flown out of FLL in the morning many times, last Saturday I flew out at 6:45am. The security line was fine, and the terminal was not crazy busy. The only downside is some terminals have very few options for getting even a coffee. If you end up in terminal three (not sure what airline you are flying) get coffee, bagel etc.. in the stand between the F and E gates there is never a line. When I was there it was still hard to get a seat at our exact gate, but lines were not crazy long. Its still a pretty busy time at an airport like FLL that is not a big hub and has lots of early morning flights leaving to the hubs.

Wow, Dave thank you, thank you....this is the question I've been asking and yours is the best, concise answer I found. I have a cruise, see below, and we're returning on March 20, Monday and booked an 11:30am flight...gonna relax now, and stop asking. I know we can't control the ships arrival, but dIdn't really want to self disembark. Thanks Again 😘

Being a Monday is good since there are few cruise ships. You might want to check the port schedule for how many ships and how large they are, but I bet there will be only 1-3 ships, and none of the mega ones with 5000+ passengers. Makes a big difference.

Being a Monday is good since there are few cruise ships. You might want to check the port schedule for how many ships and how large they are, but I bet there will be only 1-3 ships, and none of the mega ones with 5000+ passengers. Makes a big difference.

Thanks Again DaveOKC, good advice, only 4 ships, two Princess, one Holland America, and mine, the Summit, smaller ship too...I need to put away my worry pants and get ready for another great cruise vacation :cool:

Last December FLL was a madhouse - the worst I've experienced. Hot, crowded, nowhere to sit, long lines to get anything to eat, few choices, etc. Can't check luggage more than 3 hrs. ahead of flight.

I noticed there was construction going on. I'm assuming the airport is expanding - it surely needs it. Maybe a local can chime in and confirm this. I was in the SW concourse.

As has already been stated, no rude personnel, just too many passengers in too small a space. Makes me wish Tampa had more and varied cruise itineraries. My last airport experience in FLL made me not want to go back.

Roz

Last December FLL was a madhouse - the worst I've experienced. Hot, crowded, nowhere to sit, long lines to get anything to eat, few choices, etc. Can't check luggage more than 3 hrs. ahead of flight.

I noticed there was construction going on. I'm assuming the airport is expanding - it surely needs it. Maybe a local can chime in and confirm this. I was in the SW concourse.

As has already been stated, no rude personnel, just too many passengers in too small a space. Makes me wish Tampa had more and varied cruise itineraries. My last airport experience in FLL made me not want to go back.

Roz

Correct, Terminal 1 is being expanded, mostly for Southwest Airlines and its international expansion plans. Terminal 4 is also being expanded to allow for more international arrival gates and more gates in general. Terminal 3 is ok, but can get very busy, terminal 2 is probably the one that gets the lease busy and has some room, but very little amenities.

FLL has grown so much over the past 10-15 years, it has out grown its small foot print. Same thing happened to MIA, but MIA had a major expansion and its a pretty good modern airport now.

Left our cabin (Eurodam) at 7:40am carrying our own luggage off the ship. Arrived at the Delta Skyclub at 8:20am. Have both TSA & Global Entry but you need your GE card. GE is new to Port Everglades. They don't have the GE kiosks yet, so you should complete your paper customs form in advance. We took a taxi to the airport. All in all, it was a smooth quick process. Plenty of time for our 11am departure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk