Benefits to booking with a PVP instead of CCL website?

Mybearsbaby

W

He told me if I book online, that PVPs can't help if I wanted to change locations later on, and that he honestly didn't think they allowed that anymore. (In the last, I would book a cheaper category, then move when the price dropped.)

Is this true?

That's odd because I booked mine online and literally called yesterday to get it changed to a different room

anyone seeing free pre paid gratuities? No T.A. is giving away $200 on a weeks cruise, the commission is not even that high

I got a discount on my Horizon booking that was 340 off what it would have cost if I booked it on the website or through a PVP. This was equivalent to a 12.9% discount on the entire cruise including all taxes. Was so impressed with the price, I booked another and got 300 off, which was the same percentage wise. These are for 2 different Horizon sailings. Obviously I am dealing with a high volume agency that gets volume discounts and kickbacks and probably an additional kicker on the new ship. They obviously are still making a profit and it makes me a happy customer.

The 640 in savings between the two cruises will put a dent into our Cheers bill

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Our last pvp said that if we transfer booking onboard to her she will get the credit.

We booked onboard and asked if we could transfer to our PVP and we were told we could. But we could not. I don't know who got credit for it but he did not. Very frustrating. The back story is we had booked through a travel agency because of family but wanted to go back to our PVP.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's odd because I booked mine online and literally called yesterday to get it changed to a different room

You are cool correct! They guy I talked to just didn't know what he wasn't talking about I guess. I called back a day or two after booking and talked to a different person. I changed rooms to the other side of the ship, no problem.

Our PVP has been great, and I wouldn't book any other way. He's always found us the best rate and has called a couple of times with great deals that we would have missed or with a cabin that opened up that he knew we would be interested in.

These days it seems some people don't appreciate the personal touch or the customer service and are more comfortable doing things online - nothing wrong with either way.

We booked onboard and asked if we could transfer to our PVP and we were told we could. But we could not. I don't know who got credit for it but he did not. Very frustrating. The back story is we had booked through a travel agency because of family but wanted to go back to our PVP.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you asked at the future cruise desk, then that person gave you correct info. You most certainly can transfer it to your PVP. I've done it many times. I book the cruise and then go home & send my PVP an email, asking her to take over the booking. She does it from her end.

I really like my PVP. Actually, I picked out my cabin at the future cruise desk and then after she took over the booking, she pointed out that I should move to a more centrally-located cabin since it was the same price.

Edited by audcc77
edit

I think it all comes down to what you feel is important. Many prefer having a PVP because then they have piece of mind that their back is covered in case there are problems, price drops, etc that they would need help with.

On the other hand, I prefer bottom line pricing, especially since this way the price difference can offset extra expenses such as the Cheers program. Depending upon the type of cabin you're in, price drops could come into play and your PVP would be indispensable. On the other hand, if you're in a cabin that has limited numbers volume wise and price drops would probably be moot, then a high volume agency that has group space and/or gives discounts would be the way to go. It all depends on your individual situation as to what the preferred method would be.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I will never again use a travel agent as I like to call Carnival. My travel agent was useless on Carnival questions and several times when I asked them to call Carnival I felt that they just lied to me as I can see this information online with a mock booking.

"Sorry, there are no rooms available on the cove balcony deck". While I am looking at them online.

The only advantage I have seen to a PVP is I called one day to book my balcony on the Valor and said what I would really like is the scenic ocean view, but it appears booked. She said, I can get that room for you if you want it.

I think if you aren't familiar with Carnival or have a lot of knowledge of rates, policies, etc. you should find a PVP. At this point, I would feel confident that I understand Carnival enough to book online myself. However, I still chose to use a PVP. In fact, I've had two (my other moved up the ranks!) My current one is just as great as my last. I tell you a story that gives a good reason to use one:

I have friends who are new to cruising and Carnival and they are younger than I and wanted to book online, though I suggested my PVP. They went ahead and booked themsleves. And even though I warned them about early saver booking and what to do and not to do, they still made a lot of mistakes when booking. It could have cost them penalties. However, I asked my PVP to help. Though she can't really do much with someone who books online, she did get things fixed for them. Of course, I sent a great note to her supervisors to let them know that she went above and beyond her job because she gets nothing for helping them. Now, my friends have said, that if they book another cruise, they will book with her.

There are a LOT of tiny details that can get messed up if you don't understand things. I don't care how much I know, they probably know more, its their job. My PVP also will do my price drops for me. Its also great because, I've paid my part of the cruise, but my friend hasn't. So my PVP will credit half of a price drop to the amount due and the other half she will refund back to my credit card, so that we can keep things even. So there are benefits, if you get a good one. If you don't get a good one the first time.............try again. You are the customer, who you work with, is your choice.

I don't know what everyone is referring to my "PVP". Is that another name for travel agent?

No, I think many people are mixing up PVP and TA. A PVP - personal vacation planner is a carnival employee. I haven't used one but my understanding is that if you call carnival to book a cruise (as opposed to booking online) you will be transferred to a PVP. A knowledgeable one could be helpful because they should know carnival well and guide you, but they won't offer you freebies or pricing that carnival isn't offering.

A TA - travel agent - is not a carnival employee. You have to seek out a TA. Can either call a local travel agency or call to book through a big box store or online agency. For example, if you try to book a cruise through Expedia, you will be transferred to a TA for your booking. This person earns a commission from carnival for the booking so they may offer freebies carnival doesn't out of their commission check.

Downside to booking through a TA is that they may book many types of trips/cruise lines and be less knowledgeable than a PVP; also if you book through a TA you can't make any changes to your booking through carnival. All changes must go through your TA.

Upside of booking through a TA is that they often offer freebies like prepaid gratuities, extra OBC, or a gift in your room like a bottle of wine. Also if you book through a large agency they may have access to better prices than carnival due to booking blocks of cabins at a discount.

The other thing to keep in mind is that since a TA works for an outside company, not carnival. They may impose booking fees and cancellation fees that carnival doesn't. For example, a agency I used recently offered us a good amount of OBC for our booking; but they also charge a $25 fee for the booking and if you cancel they charge a $100 cancellation fee, even before final payment. Those fees are directly to the agency and have nothing to do with the cruise lines cancellation fees.

Personally I prefer using a TA, on my last cruise we received $200 OBC for using them. And on my next cruise we saved nearly $1,000 per cabin through the TAs discounted pricing plus $25 OBC per cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

So how did you get your PVP? Is it after a few cruises one was assigned to you? At what point does a PVP reach out to you, if you don't go searching one out?

Just curious, and I understand your not supposed to recommend one (or is that a rule on this site)

One was assigned to me. He sent me emails and I reached out to him when I was ready. Other than that, if you have a cruising friend or acquaintance somewhere, have them give you a recommendation.

The PVP that I have now has been very good answering any questions. Told him I would call when I was ready to book and he totally understood and didn't continually call me back.

He did give me his cell # in addition to his Carnival extension #.

Maybe I've been lucky but all 3 cruiselines I've dealt with, the vacation planners have been excellent.

I think PVP is a misnomer. I call Carnival to make bookings, and get someone with direct access into their system but in my brief experience it is not 'personal'. I don't get the ability to deal with the same person ongoing and next time I call or email I could get anyone.

Still, to me it is a better path than a TA or the website. The latter I only use as a reference point. The prices are accurate but the cabin availability is not.

I think PVP is a misnomer. I call Carnival to make bookings, and get someone with direct access into their system but in my brief experience it is not 'personal'. I don't get the ability to deal with the same person ongoing and next time I call or email I could get anyone.

Still, to me it is a better path than a TA or the website. The latter I only use as a reference point. The prices are accurate but the cabin availability is not.

If you call the 800 number you are getting a CSR, not a PVP. A PVP can only be reached by dialing their extension. Once you get a PVP, you deal with them exclusively. Well you can call the general number and get a CSR, but that should be your last resort.

I guess I had a CSR not a PVP then! Who ever it was could access cabins that I could not through the web site.

II called up and ran through some options and then said I would call back next day after I had run them past the DW. I asked if I could call back this person directly and she said no, I could only get who the phone system allocated me to.

So... how do you get a PVP rather than a CSR?

I guess I had a CSR not a PVP then! Who ever it was could access cabins that I could not through the web site.

II called up and ran through some options and then said I would call back next day after I had run them past the DW. I asked if I could call back this person directly and she said no, I could only get who the phone system allocated me to.

So... how do you get a PVP rather than a CSR?

You can always contact a cruising buddy for a recommendation.

Having made my booking through a CSR can I just call them up and ask for a PVP and get my booking assigned to that PVP? Or is that booking now permanently attached to the CSR channel?

You could have the PVP service it, but they will be working for free. It's best to book directly with them.

I love my PVP! He has been nothing but fantastic and patient with me on this cruise we booked. Since we booked two cabins he was able to make sure they were right next to each other. When I then called him back to upgrade to balcony rooms he told me that he would call me back at the end of the week when it wouldn't cost me as much to make the switch as he was certain a sale would be happening. We did have a little mishap when we wanted connecting balconies and not connecting rooms but it was an easy switch for him to move us to the connecting balcony rooms. He also said he would keep an eye out and call us if there were any offers that would allow us to upgrade to a better room. I don't think I would ever plan a cruise without him!