Daylight Savings On Princess

scomar

We sail out on the Caribbean Princess on 3/11/17 and Daylight Saving Time (DST) starts on 3/12/17. I know we use the ships time as the time for all events related to the ship. We will be sailing to the ABC islands which do not observe DST. My question is, does Princess go ahead move the ships time forward one hour on 3/12 or leave the time as is, if they leave it as is, how do they handle that when we come back to port in FLL and the time is now one hour ahead from when we left.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Edited by scomar

I have been on cruises during both the "spring forward" and "fall back" time change; the ships just continued to make the normal adjustments to the ship's time relative to the ports, and by the time the ship returned to tie USA it had simply worked itself out. Totally invisible unlike having to work around it at home.

Very likely Princess will move the clocks forward to Atlantic Standard Time the night you leave Port Everglades. Ship will then be the same time as the ABC islands. And since the time in Ft Lauderdale will have sprung forward to Eastern Daylight Time there will be no need to move the clocks back upon return (this is usually done the final night of your cruise). So only one time change instead of two.

Edited by fishywood

I've been on cruises when the ship sailed from one time zone to another, and then back to the original time zone within two days without stopping at a port. The ship's clock changed with the time zone so we had two time changes: one night forward, the next night back.

Princess ships usually follow GMT zones.

Coming back from Europe last fall it was at night.

Is it not during the night when you gain an hour and at midday when you lose one. That's the way P&O do it. Otherwise you lose an hours sleep each night the clocks move.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

All time changes were at noon on our transatlantic last spring. It was different but worked.

We are going from Dover to New York via the north of Norway and Iceland. Does that mean that the time changes will take place at midday?

In general, does that mean that noon becomes 11am when going from Europe to America? If so can anyone give a link to a Patter in which that occurs please. I would love to see how the change takes place and what is offered on board.

Thanks.

We are going from Dover to New York via the north of Norway and Iceland. Does that mean that the time changes will take place at midday?

No. Going westbound time changes are done at 2 AM when it becomes 1 AM and you get an extra hour to sleep if you wish.

We have cruised the Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale during the weekend when DST began. We left Fort Lauderdale (EST) , moved clocks ahead one hour for the islands (AST) and then didn't change again on our return to Fort Lauderdale (EDT).

Thanks Pescado, this is the exact info I was looking for :)