Euros

gjcocruiser

Thanks everyone, I will definitely get more than 1000 Florints , I was thinking of getting a 100 Cdn changed into Florints and see what that would get me. I'm sure I'll have no trouble spending. LOL

I'd like to go to the market and get some Paprika gift sets for family. We are in Budapest for the day and overnight then it's back home next morning.

Thanks everyone, I will definitely get more than 1000 Florints , I was thinking of getting a 100 Cdn changed into Florints and see what that would get me. I'm sure I'll have no trouble spending. LOL

I'd like to go to the market and get some Paprika gift sets for family. We are in Budapest for the day and overnight then it's back home next morning.

The market vendors will take Euros. Some of the prices are even quoted in HUF and Euros. I got HUF the first time I was in Budapest but didn't bother this last time; I just use my Euros.

The market is an amazing place to visit. Hopefully you will be there during the week or on Saturday - as it is closed on Sundays. It also closes fairly early in the day - as it opens quite early.

If you enter the market through the front doors - turn to your right - and head down the furthest aisle. Part way down on your right is a large stall that sells paprika - and takes credit cards. Lots of options for gifts there.

Look for the strudel stall... to DIE for!! I had apricot & cheese, my DH had apple. They only sell strudel. It is more central in the market - and on the corner of 2 aisles. Upstairs there are crafts - I bought a lovely cut-work table runner there. There is a pretty good cafeteria up there if you are looking to buy a meal. If you need to use the washroom, the one upstairs is cheaper than the one on the main floor.

The Vaci Utca (pedestrian area) is becoming fairly touristy. We have found that prices are better closer to the Market end. On the Vaci Utca, however, is Molnar's - a place to get the most amazing chimney cakes. This is their website. http://kurtoskalacs.com/en/ You can do a Trip Advisor search for some reviews. We have eaten chimney cakes in many different areas, and have found these to be some of the best we have eaten.

So much to do and see in Budapest. Depending on where your boat docks, you can walk to the market, walk across the bridge there to see the Cave Church. The Shoes on the Danube memorial is free - and quite close to the Chain Bridge. The funicular up to the Castle area (a bit pricey, but fun to take...). The hospital in the rock is also on the Buda side.

Oh... I do want to go back!! Enjoy.

Fran

Back to the mustard! We got ours in Regensberg as they are famous for their sweet mustard. There is a department store that is in many German cities called 'Galleria'. They have a food hall with lots of great stuff at good prices. That's where we got our mustard. I don't remember what it was called, but the mustard in the red tubes is the sweet Bavarian mustard. You can get it in tubes just like toothpaste so super easy to bring home.

I have not been to any country where I did not need some cash. I often buy things from a local tradesman who do not take credit cards.
Quite a number of businesses in Sweden no longer accept cash. So many Swedes have gone cashless that ATM machines are disappearing. There are discussions (so far no decion) to eliminate physical Swedish krona.

I am doing a Uniworld cruise..Amsterdam to Bucharest in May. Since it is supposed to be all inclusive is there a need to bring euros? I will have a few days before & after on land but have a good credit card.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

FYI The AAA Autoclub sells tip packs of Euros that contain a few Euros and coins, just so you have some in your pocket on arrival. My credit union offers foreign currency at their cost so I usually take a couple of hundred because it's typically a better rate than via an ATM.

ATMs and Credit cards do not involve the expense of handling foreign currency and is mostly done electronicly. Hence costs are low, typically 1% or less to the retail consumer NOT including any Foriegn Transaction Fee (often 3%) and/or merchant/ATM fee. I use financial services that allow me to avoid those add ons, and I consistently get charged about 1% over the interbank rate for the date of transaction.

I am very surprised if you can get foreign currency in the US for less than 5-10% markup given the high expenses. If you bought when exchange rates were going against you, you may do okay, but if they go the other way you will get hit twice. There is no way a bank can pay the expenses of handling foreign currency, be competitive with electronic transfer fees and not lose money.

There is a certain comfort in arriving in the Euro zone and not have to immediately find an ATM - that's why I always have some Euros in my passport case.

Regarding obtaining currency in Europe, we maintain a separate travel account with a limited amount of money in it, and have a debit card on that account. We use this account for cash withdrawals, and generally do this at the airport. Our debit card company charges $5 per use.

We use a credit card with no foreign exchange fees where we don't want to use cash....hotels, restaurants. Since we travel to Europe at least once a year we keep any leftover euros, pounds, etc. for the next trip. Our debit and one of our credit cards requires notice of foreign travel. For one card that doesn't require a travel plan I file one anyway.

For our credit and debit cards we have alerts set so that we get an email message immediately for any purchase, and a second message if the charge is oversees. I carry a list of phone numbers for the card companies separate from the cards, including the toll free numbers for calling from an international location.

For calling from oversees if you have AT&T you can sign up for wifi calling. With your cellular connection off you can then use a wifi signal to call, and the called is charged as if are calling in the US.

Regarding obtaining currency in Europe, we maintain a separate travel account with a limited amount of money in it, and have a debit card on that account. We use this account for cash withdrawals, and generally do this at the airport. Our debit card company charges $5 per use.

We use a credit card with no foreign exchange fees where we don't want to use cash....hotels, restaurants. Since we travel to Europe at least once a year we keep any leftover euros, pounds, etc. for the next trip. Our debit and one of our credit cards requires notice of foreign travel. For one card that doesn't require a travel plan I file one anyway.

For our credit and debit cards we have alerts set so that we get an email message immediately for any purchase, and a second message if the charge is oversees. I carry a list of phone numbers for the card companies separate from the cards, including the toll free numbers for calling from an international location.

For calling from oversees if you have AT&T you can sign up for wifi calling. With your cellular connection off you can then use a wifi signal to call, and the called is charged as if are calling in the US.

AT&T just told me that wifi calling from Europe would incur charges. Where did you get your information?

AT&T just told me that wifi calling from Europe would incur charges. Where did you get your information?

My information is from AT@T. What may not be clear in my response is that I was referring to calls to the US numbers only since the earlier conversation was about calling a credit card company. Calls to US numbers would be charged at whatever rate your plan charges for a domestic call vs. being billed at international rates.

My information is from AT@T. What may not be clear in my response is that I was referring to calls to the US numbers only since the earlier conversation was about calling a credit card company. Calls to US numbers would be charged at whatever rate your plan charges for a domestic call vs. being billed at international rates.

That's really interesting because that is the exact opposite of what they told me. I guess I'll call again and see if I get a different answer. Thanks

I just checked with AT&T again and was told again that there are charges if you are calling from overseas to a US number. You better double check just so you know for sure, because this second guy told me at first there were no charges but then checked with his manager and changed his story. We use What's App so I guess we will continue to use that. There are no charges on that one.

Curious question for those heading to Europe this year... can you use Apple/Android pay there? You need a tap credit card machine, not sure if they have them.

Contactless payment is widely used across Europe, that isn't the problem.

Both Apple and Google have been a bit slow rolling their systems out, here is the state of play for Apple right now:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT206637

For others then, it would be really helpful if you explained currency conversion fees (or lack thereof) on apple pay and android pay. (Since I have neither, I don't know.)

I do know that my Scotiabank MasterCard (that was formerly my Sears MasterCard with Chase) just announced that as of June they are instituting a 2.5% foreign currency conversion fee. That leaves the amazon.ca credit card as the only credit card option that I know of in Canada that doesn't charge this fee. To me, that makes the credit card on a par or better than any alternatives, although I know that I need some cash.

From what I understand (and still have to confirm this with my bank), you pay the same conversion fee with Apple/Android pay as you would with physically using the card. All the "pay" does is saves you from giving your card out. You have to hold your finger/thumb on the fingerprint sensor to use it. That way, you are preventing anyone else using your card. What I am wondering, is I hear in Europe that when you pay with your card, they take your card and put it in the machine. You can't do that if you are paying with your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Daisi

What I am wondering, is I hear in Europe that when you pay with your card, they take your card and put it in the machine. You can't do that if you are paying with your phone.

Please don't try and use ApplePay or Android for that matter as your main payment method it simply doesn't have the penetration in Europe that you need. As per my link above, it isn't even in use in most European countries at all yet.

You are not generally separated from your card these days as even in restaurants, mobile card machines are normal, but the limits on the value of contactless transactions do tend to mean that you will have to put your card into some sort of device for all but the lower value purchases.

Do make sure you have a true Chip&PIN card though for the most problem free experience across Europe...

Edited by Mark_T