Royal Cancelled My Fully Paid Cruise Reservation

OP -consider sending a letter documenting your ordeal to Michael Bailey when you return and request future cruise credit.(more than you would have been given if you booked onboard!).

I think that if you got everything back within 3 days of the cancellation (Sun/Mon/Tues) - maybe a $50 OBC (vs wine/strawberries) might have been acceptable...but given what happen, I think I would request credit of $25/day for each day I was impacted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:confused: what right would that be? The OP got everything back the way it was before the cancellation. If you were in front of Judge Judy you'd get no compensation for "pain and suffering".

Biker, who just chuckles at the "entitlement" mentality with some in the CC crowd.

Biker19 - if that were to ever happen to you please remember to share with us what you would want from Royal. Would an offer of strawberries and a bottle of wine be sufficient for you???

I had a similar issue occur. RCCL said sorry and that was about it. We had to all cram into 1 small cabin -- me, my brand new husband and his son. We had 2 cabins and then - I get an email that screws it all up -- on my honeymoon I was sharing a room with my 14 year old new step son. I'm sailing on RCCL again in June but it's against my will. I got a drink package to numb the pain ...

It was also right before I had to deploy to Afghanistan and leave said new husband for a year.

So late Saturday evening I received an email from Royal Caribbean advising me that because my cruise reservation has been canceled the items in my cruise planner have been cancelled, and goes on to list my show reservations, dining reservations, ifly and Northstar reservations - all cancelled! The problem is, we never cancelled our cruise reservation! This is for my family's Spring Break cruise next month. We fully paid for the cruise back in December.

Needless to say my wife and I are distraught. We couldn't get hold of our travel agent or Royal Caribbean last night. This morning we contacted our travel agent, who has been very helpful and explained that somehow Royal Caribbean messed up and cancelled our reservation. They are working with Royal to fix the problem. Apparently, though, we can't receive any confirmation from Royal Caribbean until their Revenue Department opens on Monday.

I've also been in contact with Royal Caribbean who assured me they are trying to resolve the issue but, essentially, it will have to wait until Monday. Odd that Royal can cancel a cruise late Saturday night but can't fix their mistake until Monday when their Revenue Department is open. Perhaps their Cancellation Department and Revenue Department should work the same hours.

My concern is that while I wait until Monday, Royal could sell our cabin in the meantime for what is already a sold out cruise (because of course they do take bookings over the weekend). Strange thing is that they didn't cancel our cruise reservation for the adjoining cabin where our kids are staying. God only knows how we will get our show reservations, dining reservations etc back on track if we are able to get our cabin back. A total disaster!

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am sure they will fix it for you. And maybe even compensate you in some way for the trouble.

I had a similar issue occur. RCCL said sorry and that was about it. We had to all cram into 1 small cabin -- me, my brand new husband and his son. We had 2 cabins and then - I get an email that screws it all up -- on my honeymoon I was sharing a room with my 14 year old new step son. I'm sailing on RCCL again in June but it's against my will. I got a drink package to numb the pain ...

It was also right before I had to deploy to Afghanistan and leave said new husband for a year.

That's awful, and I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope your next experience is much better. And thank you so much for your service and sacrifices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Biker19 - if that were to ever happen to you please remember to share with us what you would want from Royal. Would an offer of strawberries and a bottle of wine be sufficient for you???

Yes, because unlike the OP and apparently many others on CC, I would not stress over it. Heck, as long as I get my money back I'd be OK if I never got the booking back, I'd just move onto some other sailing. There's one every week. Granted, I probably have a lot more flexibility than many others.

I realize a lot of folks sweat the small and sometimes the big stuff, I don't. One other thing, I rarely ever touch my booking once done (for anything other than checking in), so the chances of an RCI IT issue striking me are a bit lower than some folks.;)

Glad to hear it worked out for you - I'm hoping that I am similarly satisfied at the end of this ordeal!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

$50 w/ strawberries is horrible!

After our luggage got lost by the porter, and they refused to send it to our hotel, insisting it go to a warehouse, then they charged us to ship it home. We got $50 w/ strawberries and champagne.

Yes, because unlike the OP and apparently many others on CC, I would not stress over it. Heck, as long as I get my money back I'd be OK if I never got the booking back, I'd just move onto some other sailing. There's one every week. Granted, I probably have a lot more flexibility than many others.

I realize a lot of folks sweat the small and sometimes the big stuff, I don't. One other thing, I rarely ever touch my booking once done (for anything other than checking in), so the chances of an RCI IT issue striking me are a bit lower than some folks.;)

When our cruise was cancelled it had nothing to do with us making a change to our cruise....since we NEVER touch our booking once it is made, just like you say.....ours was 'just cancelled'.

When our cruise was cancelled it had nothing to do with us making a change to our cruise....since we NEVER touch our booking once it is made, just like you say.....ours was 'just cancelled'.

Right, but it seems by reporting here, many times the cancellation followed some action by the customer - this latest round seemed to involve the cancellation of deluxe package to get a better deal under Sip and Stream.

The OP was flying in from Vancouver during Spring Break with kids. How flexible do you think he can be? :confused:

Right, but it seems by reporting here, many times the cancellation followed some action by the customer - this latest round seemed to involve the cancellation of deluxe package to get a better deal under Sip and Stream.

In this instance it did seem to be an issue that involved the package.....but my point to YOU is that is not how it always happens....our situation involved nothing but something that Royal did.

The OP was flying in from Vancouver during Spring Break with kids. How flexible do you think he can be? :confused:

Right, some don't have much flexibility, but thankfully, I do. Again, the issue here what folks think the compensation should be for RCI's screw up. I'm on the low end of the spectrum on this one and probably most issues.

In this instance it did seem to be an issue that involved the package.....but my point to YOU is that is not how it always happens....our situation involved nothing but something that Royal did.

And my point was that the more you touch your reservation the higher the chances RCI IT will screw up something.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to CC and had signed up as I was wanting to join the roll call for my up and coming cruise. (Been with royal the past six years and have brought friends or family the past three years.)

Problem being this year they have CANCELLED my trip.

Bear with me here goes......

My wife booked the trip with our travel agent back in February. So on the booking was my wife me our son and our newborn who was to be born on the 28th March. Also we were bringing my wife's parents on their first cruise. On booking our travel agent rang us about a query on her age from RCI stating the 6 month infant policy. But we made it known on departure day that she would be 24 weeks and 5 days. The girl on the phone from royal took this info and passed it on to management support after a quick conversation she came back on the line and stated that the booking was ok from her management and we proceeded to book and paid in full around the start of April.

We knew no more and were gearing up for a week cruise around the med everything in order until last Friday when our TA rang and stated that Royal were pulling the booking over our infants age. Needless to say sparks started to fly as flights to Barcelona had been booked time off work etc.etc. since Friday we haven't heard much from Royal and we have been going through the head royal person in Ireland.

Has anyone had anything like this happen them around infant age and if so what came of it. Also any info or contacts you may have would be great as I will contact anyone I can to try get us on the cruise, as it stands we have heard from no-one and are expecting the worst that we will have no trip to go on even though they took the booking and all was grand at the time.

TIA

Martin

Hi everyone,

I'm new to CC and had signed up as I was wanting to join the roll call for my up and coming cruise. (Been with royal the past six years and have brought friends or family the past three years.)

My wife booked the trip with our travel agent back in February. So on the booking was my wife me our son and our newborn who was to be born on the 28th March. Also we were bringing my wife's parents on their first cruise. On booking our travel agent rang us about a query on her age from RCI stating the 6 month infant policy. But we made it known on departure day that she would be 24 weeks and 5 days. The girl on the phone from royal took this info and passed it on to management support after a quick conversation she came back on the line and stated that the booking was ok from her management and we proceeded to book and paid in full around the start of April.

We knew no more and were gearing up for a week cruise around the med everything in order until last Friday when our TA rang and stated that Royal were pulling the booking over our infants age. Needless to say sparks started to fly as flights to Barcelona had been booked time off work etc.etc. since Friday we haven't heard much from Royal and we have been going through the head royal person in Ireland.

Has anyone had anything like this happen them around infant age and if so what came of it. Also any info or contacts you may have would be great as I will contact anyone I can to try get us on the cruise, as it stands we have heard from no-one and are expecting the worst that we will have no trip to go on even though they took the booking and all was grand at the time.

TIA

Martin

It sounds like your TA made a mistake. Royal will not talk to me about anything when I book through a TA. So when you say "the girl on the phone from Royal", I am assuming it was your TA talking to them and not you. I would have never been confident that I could bring a child that is too young given their rules.

I know my response is not the one you were wanting.

Royal Caribbean accepted the booking through our travel agent with the infants age being 24 weeks and 5 days on day of departure. They accepted the 24 weeks being 6 months on the phone with our travel agent. Hence how we were able to pay in full because our booking was accepted. We have room numbers reservation numbers the lot. The last contact we had was, it was being cancelled by the medical team as she will not be 6 calender months. No where in their policy does it state calender months which is why they accepted the booking on 24 weeks.of age.

Hi Jessierube, a fellow Irish cruiser here. I sympathise with the situation but don't think RC will bend on something like this. Since your daughter will be 6 months soon after the original booking, have you checked availability on a later cruise? There will be a cost and inconvenience but you would get a holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi everyone,

TIA

Martin

All I can say is, anytime you get a waiver, get it in writing.

Well this whole thread has been enlightening. I wasn't planning on booking a cruise with RCI, but you never know what the future will bring. After reading this thread, they have dropped way down on my list of possibilities for sure.

During my working days I worked in both IT and customer service.

The website I worked on was tested extensively before we put anything live. From what I have seen the cruise industry as whole puts out code that is not ready for prime time.

As far as customer service, the squeaky wheel gets the special attention as long as you can keep your cool and refrain from ranting. Cool calm logic works much better.

If you have to expend a lot of your time to get a company to fix a problem that they caused, you should get compensation for that time. It's not a matter of "pain and suffering," nor stress but time. Time is valuable.

I knew a company executive who sent bills to companies who caused him to expend more than a small amount of time. Because he knew how to put a value on his time, most of the time he got compensation. Not what he asked for, but enough to satisfy him.

Reminding those you are speaking with that you have a large audience often helps. Good luck [emoji256] [emoji106]