Q's- Which side of the ship, Check-in and Boarding?

I'm booking my cruise next week on Harmony, Eastern Caribbean:) (Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Martin). I like watching the ship arrive and depart the ports from my balcony (as well as watching people run because they are about to miss the cruise ;p). What side of the ship do I need to be on for the port side? If you are facing the front of the ship, left or right side of the ship?

Also there will be three of us in the room. Two of us will be arriving at the same time at the pier. One will be arriving two hours, after the two. Do we all have to be together to check-in and board the ship? Can the two check-in board before the third arrives?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Port is always the left side as you are facing the front of the Harmony (where the Bridge is). - Port side is always left side as you face front on all ships. Since there is no guarantee which side of a dock a ship will pull up along side, watching the "latecomers" might not be an option for you from your balcony. Re check in - are you all using same or different credit cards for on-board incidentals? There should not be a problem with one person checking in later than other two. That being said... certain things should not be a problem... just sometimes need to expect the unexpected.

Harmony usually docks with starboard side used for embarkation unless maintenance is required.

Print out set sail for each of you and you may board separately. You will use the paperwork on board until room access is given at which time room keys can be picked up.

Port is always the left side as you are facing the front of the Harmony (where the Bridge is). - Port side is always left side as you face front on all ships. Since there is no guarantee which side of a dock a ship will pull up along side, watching the "latecomers" might not be an option for you from your balcony. Re check in - are you all using same or different credit cards for on-board incidentals? There should not be a problem with one person checking in later than other two. That being said... certain things should not be a problem... just sometimes need to expect the unexpected.

Thank you for the information. We all will be using our own credit card for on-board incidentals.

Harmony usually docks with starboard side used for embarkation unless maintenance is required.

Print out set sail for each of you and you may board separately. You will use the paperwork on board until room access is given at which time room keys can be picked up.

Thank you for the information. Starboard is the right side, correct? I will make sure everyone has their paperwork.

This is interesting. For other ships the information was usually that there was no way to tell. Thanks for the information.

This is interesting. For other ships the information was usually that there was no way to tell. Thanks for the information.

I think the info reported earlier isn't quite accurate.

Harmony has both gone in straight forward and backed into the same port over the past month...resulting in both the port and starboard side being used for disembarkation.

Here is how I always remember: The sailor left his girl at port.

Another way to remember is, there is no Port Left in the bottle.

Also for information the navigation lights on the Port are Red and Starboard are Green.

There is really no way to tell which side will be next to the dock...sometimes, they "parallel park"...sometimes, it's front in...other times they back in.

Pick a cabin! You have a 50/50 chance of facing land.....and you'll be in a HARBOR....so there's stuff to see all around you!

Or an even more complete memnonic:

"There's a little Red Port Left in the bottom of the glass."

I always remember it as all the short words are together (red, port, left) and all the long words are together (green, starboard, right).