First cruise!

Take half the amount of clothes you planned on taking and double the amount of money.

Carry on should have swimsuit, sunscreen, your documentation (boarding passes, passports or birth certs and photo id), and your bottle of wine and your 12 pack of soda (if you are taking those).

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Take half the amount of clothes you planned on taking

Can't tell my wife that. She carries one suitcase just for shoe and another with clothes. She prefer to pay the extra for overweight on the plane for things she will not use.

[quote=sydneyheckman;52439851]We're going on our frost cruise may 15th 2017 to the Bahamas!

We have know idea what to put in our carry on's or in our suit cases.

HELP!!

Storage space in the cabins is limited, so trim your packing list down to the necessities. You can do this by looking over what activities you plan to do in port and what your expectations are for activities on board the ship. Luckily Carnival is perhaps the most casual cruise line out there. It is the only one I know of that allows both men and women to wear shorts (must be about knee length though) and a graphic tee-shirt to dinner in the Main Dinning Room on Cruise Casual Nights.

Here's our packing lists (for a 7 day cruise) you can adjust them to your circumstances as everyone does not have the same priorities as we do. (Items with a * must be "on hand" while in the terminal though.)

Carry-on (we use 1 over-head sized roller bag per 2 people in our boarding party):

* Print-outs and copies of everyone's boarding passes

* Passport (or government issued IDs, Birth Certificates, and name change papers)

* Health forms

Cash and credit cards

Medications (Rx and OTC)

Jewelry

Electronics

Charger cords and batteries

A complete change of clothes for 2 people.

Swimsuits for 2 people

Trail sized toiletries

* 2 x 750ml bottles of wine (1 per each adult)

* 6-12 x 12 oz cans of soda (allowed 12 per passenger)

wide brim or large billed hats for sun protection

a windbreaker or hoodie (it gets cool to cold on the outside decks after dark)

Checked Luggage (this is per person):

1 pairs of each

sandals

water shoes

sneakers or docksiders (if not worn at boarding)

dress shoes

2 dressy outfits (we like lots of pictures on Elegant Evenings)

6 shirts

6 shorts(or in my case capris or a skort)

2 pairs of long pants

underwear

another bathing suit

cover-up (in DH's case a plain tee-shirt)

full sized bottles of toiletries including bug spray

an extra bag for souvenirs

Just to note many women and girls wear sundress almost the entire time on board instead of shorts and a shirt. I'm petite so it's hard to find ones that don't sweep the floor on me.

Don't forget to bring any OTC meds that you might need...these are expensive on the ship! I always make sure that an extra pair of contacts are in my carry on along with anything valuable or I couldn't live without should my luggage get lot.

Valuables should be in your carry on....everything else should be in your LOCKED checked bags. Some folks will carry a change of clothes in the carry on, as well...but make sure all electronics, jewelry, medications...and anything you might need BEFORE dinner are in the carry-on. Bags can take their time getting to you!

If you are flying in, make sure that you cross-pack (put some of her stuff in your suitcase and visa versa). That way if one gets lost along the way, you each have some clothes. I know, doesn't help if they both get lost, but ...

Since you're going to the Bahamas...be sure to pack lots of sunscreen for both face and body. This should be packed in your checked luggage and double plastic bag it so it doesn't get on your clothing should it leak.

Don't forget sunglasses (don't bring expensive ones), a sun hat of some kind, and flip flops or some other kind of beach sandal for the beach and/or pool. You'll also need some kind of beach bag/tote if you plan to spend time at the beach and/or pool. On my recent flight to Cancun I used my carry on straw tote as my beach bag. Some after-tan body lotion is also good for soothing your skin. Be sure to take a bottle of water with you and keep hydrated while on land and at the beach.

Clothing-wise, most cruises are casual so shorts, Capri pants, and sundresses are okay for the main dinning room on casual nights. Even dress up nights don't have to be all that fancy unless you want to go all out. A nice sundress or maxy skirt is perfect as are a nice pair of slacks or Capris and a dressy top. Be sure to bring a light sweater or jacket as the dining rooms and just being outside on deck at night can be cool even in the Bahamas!

The best thing you can bring on your cruise is a good attitude! If things don't meet your expectations...just go with the flow. Remember...you're on vacation so "Don't worry, be happy." I hope your first cruise is as great as mine was...I've been cruising since 1965! I'm addicted!

Edited by mousey

Valuables should be in your carry on....everything else should be in your LOCKED checked bags. Some folks will carry a change of clothes in the carry on, as well...but make sure all electronics, jewelry, medications...and anything you might need BEFORE dinner are in the carry-on. Bags can take their time getting to you!

in 50+ years of travel we have NEVER locked a suitcase. It seems like an exercise in futility. does someone want to steal socks and underwear?

I waaaayyyy over packed last year for our first trip. Seriously we are bringing swimsuits, a cover up, and like 2 outfits. No need for much more! A pair of flip flops, a nice pair of shoes, and water shoes. That's the extent of it for us.

Can't tell my wife that. She carries one suitcase just for shoe and another with clothes. She prefer to pay the extra for overweight on the plane for things she will not use.

Show your DW this. Pack cloths she "thinks" she will wear. Then take out 1/2 of those. LOL

People do have a tendency to overpack.

Main thing is keep all valuables and men's with you.