Jewel of the Seas or Adventure of the Seas - which would you choose and why

We are trying to decide on a cruise out of San Juan for next year. The two ships we are choosing from are the Jewel of the Seas or the Adventure of the Seas. The ports of call are very similar, but I know that there are differences in the two ships. We always book a balcony cabin. I'm looking for my friends on Cruise Critic to help me make this decision. Thanks for much for all you input and knowledge!!!

Barbara

If a Sunday departure matters, Jewel. The reason I bring that up- it matters to us, that we can fly Friday, have all day Saturday and part of Sunday before sailing.

Size and stuff to do wise- Adventure is bigger and has more things. Of course, the opposite to that is important to some people.

We did both as a back2back. One week on each. Saturday to Saturday, spent the night in San Juan, then did Sunday to Sunday. Since it is so expensive to fly to San Juan, it's so much more cost effective to do 2 cruises for the price of 1 flight.

Both ships are great. Can't go wrong with either one. I would pick the one with the itinerary you prefer.

If you want a more intimate sailing experience then you would go with the Jewel. About 1000 less passengers, doesn't take as long to get around the ship. Also the Jewel has more "glass" to see outside from.

If you want more activities, more eating options, more onboard shopping and don't mind about 1000 more passengers then it would be the Adventure.

Bob's point about the balconies is also a good one. When I was on the Adventure sitting out on the balcony it was a little claustrophobic.

As you can see on my signature, we love the Adventure. We have been on Jewel's sister ship, Serenade, and loved her as well. We like Adventure more because of the Royal Promenade. There is so much to do. The addition of the slides is also a plus. :D The service on Adventure is top notch! We love the ship and the itinerary. But you can't go wrong with either!!

While Jewel is a very beautiful ship, our cruise on her was the most boring cruise we've taken to date. Activities, shows, availability of evening entertainment in the lounges are all severely lacking on this ship. The production shows are by far the worst in the fleet. Of course, this may not be important to you, but we like to be entertained and have fun things to do in the evening, so Adventure was a much better ship for us. More to do/see, and significantly better activities/shows.

We have been on both and enjoyed them both. Personally, the Radiance class is one of my favorites. I just like the size, design, number of fellow passengers, etc. That being said, the Adventure is also a great ship. Decide by itinerary and whether you need an ice rink and promenade. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I really dislike the enclosed balconies on Adventure and it tends to attract more families and kids but it does have the Royal Promenade, a wonderful cigar lounge and more to do. I love the Jewel because of the regular balconies, outside Windjammer, glass elevators, etc. We have sailed both and I prefer the Jewel but both are good in different ways. The itineraries are so port intensive that you won't go wrong with either. Six of one, half dozen of another so I would choose based on port preferences and preferred sail day.

thank you so much for all the advice. This board is a great place to come! We are now trying to decide between these 2 ships and the freedom of the seas. There are so many choices. Thanks so much!!

'Barbara

We are trying to decide on a cruise out of San Juan for next year. The two ships we are choosing from are the Jewel of the Seas or the Adventure of the Seas. The ports of call are very similar, but I know that there are differences in the two ships. We always book a balcony cabin. I'm looking for my friends on Cruise Critic to help me make this decision. Thanks for much for all you input and knowledge!!!

Barbara

We love both ships. We have sailed both several times. Here is how we decide which to go with each time we book:

1. Does Sat or Sun departure/return work best for us that trip (We usually fly in one day before but fly home the day we get off of the ship)

2. What is the itinerary of each? Does one have a better itinerary than the other? Does one include a "new" island? Does one include a "favorite/must do" island?

3. How many sea days on each itinerary? Does one have more seadays than the other? Do you prefer more or less seadays?

4. Does one itinerary stay in port later in some ports so you can have dinner off of the ship or stay longer at the beach?

5. Specialty dining? If you prefer specialty dining the JW has more specialty restaurants than AD. (AD only has Giovanni's with the hopes that they finally get Chops open this month.) (JW has Izumi....AD does not.) (AD has Johnny Rockets but JW doesn't.)

6. Ice show/ice skating: AD=yes, JW = No

7. Flowrider /Slides: AD =yes, JW=No

Be aware the Jewel has an "enclosed" solarium...they SAY the roof is 'retractable", yet it's NEVER opened, which means no sunning around the adult area....I found that to be frustrating and a big "con" for that class of ship.

Be aware the Jewel has an "enclosed" solarium...they SAY the roof is 'retractable", yet it's NEVER opened, which means no sunning around the adult area....I found that to be frustrating and a big "con" for that class of ship.

I agree. This is my biggest con for that class of ship. Although some people may like this feature if they don't want to be in the sun.

I agree. This is my biggest con for that class of ship. Although some people may like this feature if they don't want to be in the sun.

That is another one of those things that proves different folks like different things! I totally agree with you that since it was "designed" to be able to open and close (depending on the weather) then it should do that! I would love to have it open when the weather is nice. However, I would much rather have it constantly closed than not having a "roof". AD's solarium doesn't have a roof so if you are in a "rainy day" situation, the majority of AD's solarium is unusable whereas the JW solarium is nice and comfy!

I like the smaller ships so personally I would pick Jewel. I love the design of the Radiance Class and the more intimate and relaxing experience that they provide. I always find the crew to be just a bit friendly on the smaller ships.

But if you like more activities and entertainment or a larger pool deck, then go with Adventure. I'd be willing to sacrifice those things for the experience of Jewel, but they might be more important to you.

Since both are port intensive and you'll spend little time on the ship, you should decide based on 2 things: do you have kids? If so, choose adventure. Or, is the price difference big? If so, choose the cheaper one (most likely jewel). If the price difference is less than $500 total I'd probably stick with adventure, but if it's more than $500 I'd go jewel, even with kids, because airfare to Puerto Rico is not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is another one of those things that proves different folks like different things! I totally agree with you that since it was "designed" to be able to open and close (depending on the weather) then it should do that! I would love to have it open when the weather is nice. However, I would much rather have it constantly closed than not having a "roof". AD's solarium doesn't have a roof so if you are in a "rainy day" situation, the majority of AD's solarium is unusable whereas the JW solarium is nice and comfy!

I agree! Also, in a humid environment like the Caribbean, it can get very hot and uncomfortable when the solarium is open. I prefer a closed, climate-controlled, dehumidified solarium. Those that like to sun can find many other places in the sun, even quiet sunny places on the upper levels of the pool deck.

We have been on both the Jewel (in 2014) and the Adventure (in 2008, going again next month), and while you really can't go wrong with either ship, I would say the Adventure. When we were on the Jewel, we missed the Promenade (which the Adventure has) and we are a little weird and personally prefer the "cave" like balconies on the Adventure because we feel it is more private! We also felt that Jewel was a more laid-back environment while the Adventure seemed to have more activity and things going on, so it all depends on what you are looking for. Good luck in your decision and have a great time whatever you decide!