Please, dumb it down for me. lol Internet question

atj1971

Hello!!!

We are setting sail in May and I have a few questions about internet packages/cell phone use. (I have contacted my provider and they have international packages per day I can purchase).

I will tell you my goals, and welcome any answers. I want to be able to post photos on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat etc. I don't need to text or make phone calls. Having said that, I can wait for "free wifi" spots at port if needed.

1. Am I correct, that I need to keep my "data" off at all times?

2. Does the internet package you can purchase onboard mean "free" wifi?

3. Do you suggest paying for an international charge via my cell phone provider or would a cruise internet package cover me?

1. yes

2. yes

3. if you are not going to make any calls as stated, you do not need an international package. Cruise internet and phone calling or 2 different animals. Although there are methods to phone call on the internet. You can always use the ships phone for $2.00 a minute for emergencies.

1. yes

2. yes

3. if you are not going to make any calls as stated, you do not need an international package. Cruise internet and phone calling or 2 different animals. Although there are methods to phone call on the internet. You can always use the ships phone for $2.00 a minute for emergencies.

Thank you for such a quick response. I'm sorry for the additional questions :o but, does the internet package allow me to post while at sea?

once you purchase a WiFi package its unlimited for that day or if you purchase the WiFI for the entire cruise its unlimited for the entire cruise. not pay per minute. Carnival doesnt have pay per minute anymore.

Cell service now depends on your cell provider. Some changes have happend since Maritime or Cellular at sea started asking for more money for major cell providers to use the ships towers. some major providers told Celular at sea to go pound sand because they were asking so much money. Call your cell provider and ask. but if you dont plan on making calls or texts while on the ship then just turn off your cell data and roaming and dont worry about it. use Facebook messenger for texting with people back home and you can upload pictures to Facebook with even the $5 a day Social plan.

The internet packages will allow you to post at sea; however, Carnival's wifi service does not support Snapchat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The social media plan doesn't but you can use it on the most expensive one.

Source: I've used Snapchat on the ship before

Hello!!!

We are setting sail in May and I have a few questions about internet packages/cell phone use. (I have contacted my provider and they have international packages per day I can purchase).

I will tell you my goals, and welcome any answers. I want to be able to post photos on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat etc. I don't need to text or make phone calls. Having said that, I can wait for "free wifi" spots at port if needed.

3. Do you suggest paying for an international charge via my cell phone provider or would a cruise internet package cover me?

Don't just turn data and roaming off, put your phone in airplane mode. I also have disabled anything that would happen automatically. If I had to turn my phone on in an emergency, I wouldn't want an app to automatically update and eat up data. I don't want that hefty bill.

What ports are you visiting? What carrier do you have? Verizon has a $2/day Travel Pass in Mexico and Canada($10/day in other Travel Pass countries). I have used it in Ensenada and Cozumel to call my mom when I was on solo cruises. They weren't emergencies, but my mom worries about me being alone. I am also able to text for free using the ship's wifi.

Thank you for such a quick response. I'm sorry for the additional questions :o but, does the internet package allow me to post while at sea?

You can use facebook on all packages. You can use imessage on all packages. Uploading photos may be hit and miss. A couple weeks ago on Freedom I had the premium internet plan and couldn't upload any photos the second half of the trip.

once you purchase a WiFi package its unlimited for that day or if you purchase the WiFI for the entire cruise its unlimited for the entire cruise. not pay per minute. Carnival doesnt have pay per minute anymore.

Cell service now depends on your cell provider. Some changes have happend since Maritime or Cellular at sea started asking for more money for major cell providers to use the ships towers. some major providers told Celular at sea to go pound sand because they were asking so much money. Call your cell provider and ask. but if you dont plan on making calls or texts while on the ship then just turn off your cell data and roaming and dont worry about it. use Facebook messenger for texting with people back home and you can upload pictures to Facebook with even the $5 a day Social plan.

This is extremely helpful. The last thing I want to do is come home to a surprise from Verizon!! ;p

Don't just turn data and roaming off, put your phone in airplane mode. I also have disabled anything that would happen automatically. If I had to turn my phone on in an emergency, I wouldn't want an app to automatically update and eat up data. I don't want that hefty bill.

What ports are you visiting? What carrier do you have? Verizon has a $2/day Travel Pass in Mexico and Canada($10/day in other Travel Pass countries). I have used it in Ensenada and Cozumel to call my mom when I was on solo cruises. They weren't emergencies, but my mom worries about me being alone. I am also able to text for free using the ship's wifi.

If I turn it on Airplane mode, how will I connect to the internet?

I also have Verizon. We are going to the Bahamas and they have a 10.00/day per phone option. Like I said, I don't need it for phone calls or texting I just wanted to be able to post a few "This is the life" posts and pictures while I was away from work and home. :cool:

If I turn it on Airplane mode, how will I connect to the internet?

I also have Verizon. We are going to the Bahamas and they have a 10.00/day per phone option. Like I said, I don't need it for phone calls or texting I just wanted to be able to post a few "This is the life" posts and pictures while I was away from work and home. :cool:

There are instructions inside the HUB App on exactly which steps to take. You can use wireless in airplane mode. Put it on Airplane and then in settings connect to the specific ship's wifi. I'll admit the only day I had good service was the day we skipped port, most likely because the ship was empty.

I had the mid plan - $48.00 for a 5 day, 6 night cruise. we had bad weather Friday and it wouldn't load or post anything. Instagram would post most things in 10/15 seconds - but did not want to load other people's photos, twitter was pretty quick - iMessage was the quickest - (not a Facebook user)

If you turn off data and put it airplane mode you'll never see a charge on your phone from verizon. Just turn WiFi back on and only WiFi. data roaming will still remain off and airplane mode will still remain on. Back last April when I was on Splendor, Verizon was testing the WiFi calling and texting option with some plans. I was on this plan and my phone was ALWAYS on airplane mode and data turned off BUT i could send and recieve Verizon text messages as long as my phone was logged into the ships WiFi plan that I purchased which was the value plan. I did not try making a phone call though through WiFi because back then Verizon DID still have a cruise ship plan on the ships towers and we had that plan so we never tested that but some people recently have said it does work through the ships WiFi plan but just like Facebook calling the sound is delayed by a couple seconds. Verizon now has WiFi texting and calling on all plans except the pay as you go plans. As long as you are connected to a WiFi plan and you turn on WiFi calling option on your phone you can make calls and texts on your phone. But if you already have WiFi plan on the ship just use the Facebook messenger if whom ever your wanting to reach has Facebook messenger too. Verizon told us that they no longer have a international plan through ships towers anymore. If you are not connected to a WiFi plan and make a phone call on your cell on the ship it will cost $2.99 a minute basically roaming charge. Last I knew calls from the phone in your stateroom are $1.99 a minute. no brainer. use the cheaper option.

And yes Verizon has that Travelpass international calling option. Bahamas is $10 access fee per device per day and then calls and texts use your domestic calling plan. if you have unlimited text and calling plan then thats what you have while in the bahamas. some have said there is a $20 activation charge for first time users though so check that. If you dont use your phone for texts or calls when at a port then there is no $10 fee for the travel pass for that day. Verizon said there is no need to turn off travel pass once you return home because there is no charge from the US anyway.

For us if the international plans don't change between now and April 2018 when we go on our next cruise we plan on just making use of the TravelPass option if we need. We already know texting works through Verizons WiFi texting option and also we can contact pretty much everyone in our family back home through Facebook. Everyone we know has Facebook and Facebook messenger. If there is an emergency and someone needs to call us they will FB call us or directly call our cell phone and if our phone is connected to ships WiFi then it should go through. or if we need to make a call then we can though our phone in the stateroom.

Probably overload by now on info but basically,,,,, Use that Verizon TravelPass option while in port at $10 access fee and then it uses your domestic plan after that. and if you purchase a WiFi plan on the ship then connect with friends and family back home through Facebook messenger. cheapest and easiest options and you'll be just fine. We had no issues sending and receiving pictures through Facebook messenger.

Hello!!!

Snapchat worked for me on the social plan on the Freedom. It is not supported because Snapchat requires a lot of upload bandwidth for pics and the ship doesn't have good upload speeds so it is not officially supported, but it did work hit or miss enough to post.

If you turn off data and put it airplane mode you'll never see a charge on your phone from verizon. Just turn WiFi back on and only WiFi. data roaming will still remain off and airplane mode will still remain on. Back last April when I was on Splendor, Verizon was testing the WiFi calling and texting option with some plans. I was on this plan and my phone was ALWAYS on airplane mode and data turned off BUT i could send and recieve Verizon text messages as long as my phone was logged into the ships WiFi plan that I purchased which was the value plan. I did not try making a phone call though through WiFi because back then Verizon DID still have a cruise ship plan on the ships towers and we had that plan so we never tested that but some people recently have said it does work through the ships WiFi plan but just like Facebook calling the sound is delayed by a couple seconds. Verizon now has WiFi texting and calling on all plans except the pay as you go plans. As long as you are connected to a WiFi plan and you turn on WiFi calling option on your phone you can make calls and texts on your phone. But if you already have WiFi plan on the ship just use the Facebook messenger if whom ever your wanting to reach has Facebook messenger too. Verizon told us that they no longer have a international plan through ships towers anymore. If you are not connected to a WiFi plan and make a phone call on your cell on the ship it will cost $2.99 a minute basically roaming charge. Last I knew calls from the phone in your stateroom are $1.99 a minute. no brainer. use the cheaper option.

And yes Verizon has that Travelpass international calling option. Bahamas is $10 access fee per device per day and then calls and texts use your domestic calling plan. if you have unlimited text and calling plan then thats what you have while in the bahamas. some have said there is a $20 activation charge for first time users though so check that. If you dont use your phone for texts or calls when at a port then there is no $10 fee for the travel pass for that day. Verizon said there is no need to turn off travel pass once you return home because there is no charge from the US anyway.

For us if the international plans don't change between now and April 2018 when we go on our next cruise we plan on just making use of the TravelPass option if we need. We already know texting works through Verizons WiFi texting option and also we can contact pretty much everyone in our family back home through Facebook. Everyone we know has Facebook and Facebook messenger. If there is an emergency and someone needs to call us they will FB call us or directly call our cell phone and if our phone is connected to ships WiFi then it should go through. or if we need to make a call then we can though our phone in the stateroom.

Probably overload by now on info but basically,,,,, Use that Verizon TravelPass option while in port at $10 access fee and then it uses your domestic plan after that. and if you purchase a WiFi plan on the ship then connect with friends and family back home through Facebook messenger. cheapest and easiest options and you'll be just fine. We had no issues sending and receiving pictures through Facebook messenger.

You have been so helpful!! Thank you. I'm sure my daughter would have figured all of this out but I wanted to already "know" what I was doing when we step foot aboard. Thank you! :ship:

Snapchat worked for me on the social plan on the Freedom. It is not supported because Snapchat requires a lot of upload bandwidth for pics and the ship doesn't have good upload speeds so it is not officially supported, but it did work hit or miss enough to post.

As long as I can get FB, Twitter and/or Instagram to work, I'm good. Then again, it's vacation I should be super brave and leave my phone off!! :o

We have used the cheapest wifi plan on the last 5 cruises. Only really use facebook. We post pics, message and at times have made calls thru messenger. There is a slight delay and sometimes it doesn't work. Have used it on 3 different ships. Just be sure to have phone in airplane mode.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

If you are planning on doing a wifi plan through the ship and don't need texting or calling there is absolutely no need to get an international plan from your carrier. Your carrier simply provides voice and data services; if you plan to turn both of those off your phone will still work indefinitely to connect to internet, as a camera, as a clock, for games, etc.

If you have a true emergency you can always turn your voice roaming on (still have data roaming off!!) and can make calls for around $1-$2 a minute. Will still be cheaper to make one 30 second 911 call than the $10 a day international plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Trying to decipher all of the above information as I am not very tech savvy. If I read it correctly, I believe if I purchase the $5/day plan I will be able to message home via Facebook? Also, as long as my phone is in airplane mode I can use it for photos without worrying about incurring fees from my provider?

Trying to decipher all of the above information as I am not very tech savvy. If I read it correctly, I believe if I purchase the $5/day plan I will be able to message home via Facebook? Also, as long as my phone is in airplane mode I can use it for photos without worrying about incurring fees from my provider?

Yes and Yes