Can I bring my own luggage aboard?

Skysurfr

Are people allowed to bring their own luggage to their room?

2 of us have 2x airline carryon roller bags and 1 XL rolling bag.

We easily manage these bags by ourselves.

Seems much easier to walk on the first day, and walk off the last day and not deal with porters, baggage checking / claim etc.

Thanks.

Yes, as long as they fit through the scanner (same size as at the airport TSA checkpoints - dimensions can be found online) you can carry it on yourself. Since HAL almost always has staterooms ready at embarkation, I always carry my own stuff on. I figure if I can carry it off, I can carry it on - and this way I don't have to wait for it, don't worry about a wheel being broken off or other damage, etc.

Sue/WDW1972

the issue will not be the two carry on size bags but the XL roller bag. As stated, anything you carry on much be able to go through the scanner. If you think your roller bag would fit through one the size they have at the airport you will be ok. I found my XL bags will not fit so need to be given to a porter. Now getting off is another story and you can ask for self carry off (which I do a lot) and just walk off with your luggage and be on your way eliminating the crazy job of finding your luggage in the port terminal.

Are people allowed to bring their own luggage to their room?

2 of us have 2x airline carryon roller bags and 1 XL rolling bag.

We easily manage these bags by ourselves.

Seems much easier to walk on the first day, and walk off the last day and not deal with porters, baggage checking / claim etc.

Thanks.

Yes you can and we do most cruises. The bags just need to fit through the security scanner. The maximum dimensions are 24" wide x 16" tall, which is bigger than max. legal carryon. The length isn't an issue. It's nice to have everything unpacked, hung up, and the bags stored before the muster drill.

Yes you can and we do most cruises. The bags just need to fit through the security scanner. The maximum dimensions are 24" wide x 16" tall, which is bigger than max. legal carryon. The length isn't an issue. It's nice to have everything unpacked, hung up, and the bags stored before the muster drill.

Thanks for the information. I always thought about carry my own luggage on board and wasn't sure if it was allowed. I agree as it's nice to be unpacked before the muster drill.

Thanks very much.

Off was more of a concern than carrying on....

I'm of the same opinion...it's nice to unpack early and be done with it.

It's also nice to just walk off.

Thanks for the replies!

We have taken our carry-on sized bags onboard without a problem.

Funny story - one time we had a close airline connection so we just used carry-on bags, just to be safe. At the port we let the porter take them on-board instead of doing it ourself. And of course, they were VERY late in getting to our cabin and I was very afraid they got lost. That would have been fitting - lug your carry-ons for over 1000 miles and then lose them in the last 100 yards!

Just my two cents.......

On our recent K-dam cruise out of Port Everglades, I am so glad I didn't have anything other than my carry-on.

Got to port at 11:30 and waited outside the terminal in a long line - but it moved fast.

Got inside the terminal, cue lines to go through to get through security. Once again, not a long wait, but constantly moving.

Then up the escalator to wait in line again to present passports and get our cabin key card.

Then wait in the seating area for our boarding number/group to be called and then the long walk until we were finally on the DAM ship.

No complaints.....just many lines. For us, the process lasted about 90 minutes.

So dragging our suitcases versus dropping them off at the porters is a non-decision for me.

dave

We always roll our bags on and my mother bought a 25" Samsonite for the Independence OTS from Port Everglades and it fit through the x-ray machine. I use a 20" inch bag for all my cruises. Small I know, but it sure doesn't let me overpack!

Why take the chance of losing a bag when you can just roll it on yourself? :D:D

Thanks for the information. I always thought about carry my own luggage on board and wasn't sure if it was allowed. I agree as it's nice to be unpacked before the muster drill.

For me, one area that HAL really shines is prompt delivery of luggage to my cabin. In 12 HAL cruises, I have checked in around 11:30 AM, get to my Cabin about 12:30. dump my carryon and go to Lido for lunch and return to find my luggage outside my cabin about an hour later, never later than about 2:00 PM.

Maybe I'm lucky !!!

For me, one area that HAL really shines is prompt delivery of luggage to my cabin. In 12 HAL cruises, I have checked in around 11:30 AM, get to my Cabin about 12:30. dump my carryon and go to Lido for lunch and return to find my luggage outside my cabin about an hour later, never later than about 2:00 PM.

Maybe I'm lucky !!!

We've had similar experiences. Our luggage is usually in our cabin or outside the door when we get back from lunch.

taking your luggage off the ship at PT Everglades can be a problem at the escalators. Personnel will make you take the elevators which can be a wait. They are afraid the larger suitcases going down the elevator might cause an accident.

Of the passengers that only use Carry On's, are they the one's that sit across from from me in a "beer ad" t-shirt on a Gala Night. ?? Maybe it's my imagination !

Edited by EDLOS
spelling

Of the passengers that only use Carry On's, are they the one's that sit across from from me in a "beer ad" t-shirt on a Gala Night. ?? Maybe it's my imagination !

I've often had similar thoughts. My carry-on has enough room for meds, make-up, and jewelry, with barely enough room left over for a nighty and change of underwear for boarding day.

No, they are the ones who arrive at embarkation in a suit and tie, because it's much easier to wear than pack. :D

This is our first "Big boat" cruise and I've been warned about long wait times etc.

I also see that I can get my beer t-shirts....errrrr...suits etc laundered and pressed for free. ;p

Seriously, my worry is being able to leave the ship on the last day quickly.

No, they are the ones who arrive at embarkation in a suit and tie, because it's much easier to wear than pack. :D

This is our first "Big boat" cruise and I've been warned about long wait times etc.

I also see that I can get my beer t-shirts....errrrr...suits etc laundered and pressed for free. ;p

Seriously, my worry is being able to leave the ship on the last day quickly.

As you say ,Seriously, you have to march though the baggage area when you leave the ship and I have never not seen all the luggage out ready to be picked up (November had a 10:15 AM flight,) off the ship at first allowable (7:00 AM)

Key : my bag is grey with distinctive ORANGE trim, though US customs and into a cab for the airport in 15 minutes. Don't think dragging my luggage from my room though the ship down escalators (elevators) would have been quicker. If your bag is one of the 80% that is a standard Black color, it is probably not going to work !!!!!

As you say ,Seriously, you have to march though the baggage area when you leave the ship and I have never not seen all the luggage out ready to be picked up....!

The ships take the bags off by group, in order to keep ahead of the people in each group, so not all bags will be off if you get off early.

The ships take the bags off by group, in order to keep ahead of the people in each group, so not all bags will be off if you get off early.

Correct. On our last cruise we were off the ship early since we used Luggage Direct and there was some luggage already there - not a lot - and they were bringing more luggage out all the time.

I stand corrected that at 7:30 Am, not all the luggage is off the ship, but if you have filled out the form before hand for early departure from ship, i.e. Red 1 tag is first called, you can be sure your luggage is out there. Key is to be able to quickly identify your bag. I use to smile at people who had a day-glow purple bag. No more ! I can spot my Grey bag with Orange trim and Kelley Green ribbons from 30 ft. away.

I can't argue with people who feel more comfortable carrying their bags off for whatever reason, but as a Senior traveler (Most HAL cruisers are) I don't want or need to do that anymore. I believe one of HAL's strong points is baggage handling. Of course,for me, being a 4 Star, enables me to get on and off the ship on a priority basis. (Yes, I did it the old fashion way, I earned (paid for) it !)