Once/day Cabin Steward service, which do you prefer AM/PM & why?

mamiamjo

It does not seem efficient to have a steward coordinate to see 30+ sets of people on boarding day vs being able to select this during your online check in, along with check in time, dining preference, bed arrangement, etc. This is doubly so if, as has been claimed, it is true that some attendants have rooms on multiple decks.

Moving that online would seem to free up a lot of time for room attendant staff on boarding day. Another bonus would be a clear, concise, consistent explanation of your options on the website.

Do you think moving these options online would be a more efficient method vs a room attendant visiting 30+ sets of guests on boarding day?

Carnival's best asset is their people. They want the interaction between the staff and and the guests. The ability to know them and be greeted each day with a good morning or hello in the evening. It is the model they believe in. The VAST majority of people don't need a clear understanding, they are taking a cruise and the vacation of a lifetime.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

John Heald keeps saying you can have twice a day. Some stewards try to steer you to once a day. There's a clear disconnect between corporate policy and Ketut the cabin boy. Lack of corporate control and bad management. Or, pick your maybe not so conspiratorial theory.

The clear disconnect is 99% here, not on the ships. Can I say it is 100% of course not. But most of the people get exactly what they think is the right thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Of course it would be more efficient. Thus, it will never happen. LOL

They are trying to wear us down and are aided by the cheerleaders who will keep clapping until they get a pointed stick on the eye.

I have cruised A LOT

Im dissapointed carnival would force this on their guests. I always felt bad for cabin stewards because they already had a big work load. Now it seems their work load is being increased to cut costs and inconvenience guests. Ive always liked having my room tidied in the morning and beds made. I also liked coming back to my bed being set up for me. Its just personable service. I also liked having my ice bucket filled twice a day. I dont think its right to get these stewards to ask us to pick one or the other because it puts guests in an awkward uncomfortable situation who would otherwise expect twice a day service. That being said, I was on a cruise in December and never asked. I will expect both because that is what I am used to, and what part of my gratuity pays for. Are they lowering gratuities since they are cutting service? Of course not. Also I heard they no longer move 3rd persons bed out of the way during the day? Not gonna happen in my room. There will be 3 of us sleeping in our room, one being a trundle bed. Theres already limited space in these cabins as it is. Ill expect the bed to be at least folded and out of the way during the day. I also tip more if they deserve it. It does make me feel bad and probably do a bit of extra tidying myself if their work load is too strenuous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

If a Carnival ship were a slave labor camp, I would feel sorry for them. Like those in the military I used to hear complaining all the time, it's a voluntary job. Once can always quit and seek employment elsewhere (actually much easier for a Carnival employee to do). I do not feel sorry for someone who volunteered to do a job.

I think they want to make you feel bad or guilty about asking for twice a day...that's why the stewards ambush you in the hallway about it. Otherwise they'd let you make your selection when you select your check-in time and if you want your beds setup as a king or twins.

I agree 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've read my post multiple times. Doesn't come across poorly to me. It comes across as me providing my opinion on a public post, and outlining what my expectations are on a cruise I'm paying lots of money to go on.

Revenge? What revenge? Asking them to do their jobs is now 'revenge' to you?

I'm the least miserable or negative person you would probably ever meet, but you wouldn't know that because you've already judged me based on pixels on a board asking for opinions.

How about YOU go back and read YOUR reply to me from an objective point if possible to realize how negative your response is?

If they decide to go to once a day only, that's their choice, and I'll suck it up and deal because yes, this group IS worth it - I thought I made that clear, but apparently you didn't believe me.

And again, you've already decided, knowing absolutely nothing about me, that I will be a 'complaining, whining, cruiser" (sic) . Nothing could be further from the truth.

So, let me ask you - if they went to embarkation-day only cleaning and offered you the option of washing your own sheets/towels for free, how much of a tip would you leave your room steward? If they left cleaning supplies in your bathroom, in case you wanted to clean it during the week? Told you that you could come down to guest services to get your tickets/activity guides? Would you give your steward the full amount recommended for doing nothing for you?

I'm sure you would. I wouldn't, but that's me. If the cruise line expects me to pay their employees, I expect their employees will do the job for which I'm paying. I don't think that's 'negative', or that it's even too much to ask. Heck, someone here posted that they don't have the steward do anything and tip them extra - they make their own bed up and grab towels from the cart in the hall. I'm sure you would be ecstatic if they went to that level of service for /everyone/, right?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Again. Knowing nothing about me, you have made this ridiculous judgment about who I am. My attitude on this cruise will most certainly affect anyone in earshot - which will probably be several decks when I'm laughing. I do tend to laugh pretty loudly, can't help it. I'm a happy, jovial person. The people near my aft wrap balcony will also likely hear parties going on. Or they'll be part of the parties. Whatever.

Again - I'm going to have an amazingly wonderful time on the cruise I've chosen to go on. Despite the line. Just like I said. If they surprise me, hey, bonus. If they disappoint me and don't provide service for which I've paid? Yes, I will definitely mention it on my comment cards and on my reviews. If they do exactly what they promise to do? Hey, then they've done their job. And part of that job is going to be making up my room in the morning & the evening, unless the cruise line changes the service level. And my tipping would be commensurate with service level, just like anywhere else.

See, that's why I come to a site called 'cruise critic'. I'm not looking for an echo chamber. If you only want to hear positives about your favorite things, by all means, start your own board or FB group to keep yourself insulated from those who think differently from you.

Yes, heaven forfend that someone give an opinion on a post asking for opinions when it dares to differ from yours, right? How horrible.

Thank you, You made my day. :')