Once/day Cabin Steward service, which do you prefer AM/PM & why?

mamiamjo

I wish I hadn't read this thread... I'm more torn now than I was before! On one hand, my family really doesn't need service twice a day and sometimes I do enjoy sleeping in a little. But, on the other hand, I feel the point may be valid that it may not directly result in a more manageable day for the steward, but maybe less stewards with more rooms to attend!?!?! Also, it was a great point that the gratuities didn't change accordingly either. Not that i mind, but let a little roll down to the working man/woman. It feels like the steward is the one that takes the brunt of this trend.

I'm not sure I follow your thinking?

What does it matter if the gratuities changed or not? If they have more cabins to clean that means they make more money.

If the cabin steward has to clean more cabins why should everyone's gratuities go up?

Maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying.

Bill

I'm not sure I follow your thinking?

What does it matter if the gratuities changed or not? If they have more cabins to clean that means they make more money.

If the cabin steward has to clean more cabins why should everyone's gratuities go up?

Maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying.

Bill

Yes, I think the (valid) point there was we are paying the same grats we always have, and only getting half the service. If we get half the service, shouldn't we pay half the grats?

I wish I hadn't read this thread... I'm more torn now than I was before! On one hand, my family really doesn't need service twice a day and sometimes I do enjoy sleeping in a little. But, on the other hand, I feel the point may be valid that it may not directly result in a more manageable day for the steward, but maybe less stewards with more rooms to attend!?!?! Also, it was a great point that the gratuities didn't change accordingly either. Not that i mind, but let a little roll down to the working man/woman. It feels like the steward is the one that takes the brunt of this trend.

No need to stress about it. Room stewards will never rush you out of your room.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

My wife and I tell them neither. We make the beds and keep the room tidy so all we need is clean towels which we just take from the cart when it's in the hall.

We leave the tips in place and also tip extra at the end of the cruise. These poor people have so many cabins and work so hard I feel bad knowing I'm contributing to their hardship.(y)

Bill

How are they working hard for you if you're doing all the work??

My wife and I tell them neither. We make the beds and keep the room tidy so all we need is clean towels which we just take from the cart when it's in the hall.

We leave the tips in place and also tip extra at the end of the cruise. These poor people have so many cabins and work so hard I feel bad knowing I'm contributing to their hardship.(y)

Bill

Yeah, this is insane. I would never clean on my vacation, much less tip them for not doing their job. I always leave the auto tips, and leave more for those who went above and beyond expectations.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Just off Splendor yesterday - yes, the 50% cruise!- and heard the following conversation as we were on our balcony around 2:00 embark day (steward had gone into cabin next to us to introduce himself to occupants who were also on their balcony discussing how excited they were to be on their first cruise):

"Do you want morning or evening cabin service?"

They requested evening service. He never came into my cabin to ask us, and our cabin was serviced 2x a day. Wonder if they are just asking "new" cruisers?

AM or PM Cabin Steward Service? and Why?

Or? I expect both. Most rooms, as small as they are, need to be converted from day to night rooms, and vice versa. They are NOT like hotel rooms.

And should the day arrive that I am told the service is cut in half, so will my tip portion for the steward staff.

It does appear that together with a decline in the shows, no table clothes, and decline in room service, Carnival has continued with their "race to the bottom."

And every time you think they have hit that bottom, they find a new bottom.

Carnival is an empty shell to what it was in the 80's and 90's. They've gone from pampering to self serve, with a daily dose of guilt.

Or? I expect both. Most rooms, as small as they are, need to be converted from day to night rooms, and vice versa. They are NOT like hotel rooms.

And should the day arrive that I am told the service is cut in half, so will my tip portion for the steward staff.

What needs to be converted ? The sofa bed? Just did it on a land vacation converting sofa bed. Took all of a couple of minutes.

Everything else in the cabin stays the same!

What needs to be converted ? The sofa bed? Just did it on a land vacation converting sofa bed. Took all of a couple of minutes.

Everything else in the cabin stays the same!

I guess you never had a bunk bed folded into the wall or retracted into the ceiling.

And even the couch on the ship needs to get the covering as well as the sheets and pillows. I'm also sure your land vacation room was not 185 square feet, and gave you other places to sit..

And every time you think they have hit that bottom, they find a new bottom.

Carnival is an empty shell to what it was in the 80's and 90's. They've gone from pampering to self serve, with a daily dose of guilt.

And yet the cruise price is much less now than in the 80's (I both sailed in the 80's and worked onboard 3 of the CCL ships in the 80's). Can't understand why people who hate Carnival keep giving the company their business.

And yet the cruise price is much less now than in the 80's (I both sailed in the 80's and worked onboard 3 of the CCL ships in the 80's). Can't understand why people who hate Carnival keep giving the company their business.

Carnival is not my favorite line, by far. But they are getting my business next year because that's the company the charter I'm with has chosen and others in the charter group love it. I'll go and have fun despite it being on Carnival. We lose a lot on a charter with Carnival that we don't necessarily lose on other lines - but the steward will most certainly clean my room twice a day. (We lose discount fares, we pay full price/rack rate. We lose drink packages. We lose FTTF.)

But it's worth it for this group.

Edited by Jobeth66

I guess you never had a bunk bed folded into the wall or retracted into the ceiling.

And even the couch on the ship needs to get the covering as well as the sheets and pillows. I'm also sure your land vacation room was not 185 square feet, and gave you other places to sit..

And this is exactly why someone should explain the WHOLE situation and NOT make a blanket statement.

It does help clarify things.

This is the type of thread that makes Carnival think it's perfectly acceptable to assign a steward 35 rooms.

I'll take both, thanks, and when that goes away entirely I'll take Princess.

like.

Do not understand why people would accept half the service for the same cost.

If it is worth it then why tell everyone how much you are sacrificing, on a cruise line you dont like and then be completely rude and entitled and say that "the steward will most certainly clean my room 2x a day"? Is this your revenge for having to cruise on CCL and this is how you are going to make sure they accommodate you for your misery? You sound completely miserable and negative before you even leave. Go back and read your post from an objective point if possible to understand how this came across.

If the cruise line decides by then that there will only be 1x a day service across the board (hypothetically), then what? Will you be one of those miserable, complaining, whining, cruisers that week (which if this post is any indication may happen anyway since you dont like CCL to begin with)? Will you cancel this " its worth it for this group" cruise? What would you do?

Don't forget that your attitude will affect many people on this cruise (anyone within earshot) and since you already have an attitude regarding CCL then hopefully you will make it a point come to terms that you chose to go in this trip so make the best of it.

Just love to hear people complain about everything on a cruise they chose to take (no matter why they chose it, it boils down to choice). :confused:

If it is worth it then why tell everyone how much you are sacrificing, on a cruise line you dont like and then be completely rude and entitled and say that "the steward will most certainly clean my room 2x a day"? Is this your revenge for having to cruise on CCL and this is how you are going to make sure they accommodate you for your misery? You sound completely miserable and negative before you even leave. Go back and read your post from an objective point if possible to understand how this came across.

I've read my post multiple times. Doesn't come across poorly to me. It comes across as me providing my opinion on a public post, and outlining what my expectations are on a cruise I'm paying lots of money to go on.

Revenge? What revenge? Asking them to do their jobs is now 'revenge' to you?

I'm the least miserable or negative person you would probably ever meet, but you wouldn't know that because you've already judged me based on pixels on a board asking for opinions.

How about YOU go back and read YOUR reply to me from an objective point if possible to realize how negative your response is?

If the cruise line decides by then that there will only be 1x a day service across the board (hypothetically), then what? Will you be one of those miserable, complaining, whining, cruisers that week (which if this post is any indication may happen anyway since you dont like CCL to begin with)? Will you cancel this " its worth it for this group" cruise? What would you do?

If they decide to go to once a day only, that's their choice, and I'll suck it up and deal because yes, this group IS worth it - I thought I made that clear, but apparently you didn't believe me.

And again, you've already decided, knowing absolutely nothing about me, that I will be a 'complaining, whining, cruiser" (sic) . Nothing could be further from the truth.

So, let me ask you - if they went to embarkation-day only cleaning and offered you the option of washing your own sheets/towels for free, how much of a tip would you leave your room steward? If they left cleaning supplies in your bathroom, in case you wanted to clean it during the week? Told you that you could come down to guest services to get your tickets/activity guides? Would you give your steward the full amount recommended for doing nothing for you?

I'm sure you would. I wouldn't, but that's me. If the cruise line expects me to pay their employees, I expect their employees will do the job for which I'm paying. I don't think that's 'negative', or that it's even too much to ask. Heck, someone here posted that they don't have the steward do anything and tip them extra - they make their own bed up and grab towels from the cart in the hall. I'm sure you would be ecstatic if they went to that level of service for /everyone/, right?

Don't forget that your attitude will affect many people on this cruise (anyone within earshot) and since you already have an attitude regarding CCL then hopefully you will make it a point come to terms that you chose to go in this trip so make the best of it.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Again. Knowing nothing about me, you have made this ridiculous judgment about who I am. My attitude on this cruise will most certainly affect anyone in earshot - which will probably be several decks when I'm laughing. I do tend to laugh pretty loudly, can't help it. I'm a happy, jovial person. The people near my aft wrap balcony will also likely hear parties going on. Or they'll be part of the parties. Whatever.

Again - I'm going to have an amazingly wonderful time on the cruise I've chosen to go on. Despite the line. Just like I said. If they surprise me, hey, bonus. If they disappoint me and don't provide service for which I've paid? Yes, I will definitely mention it on my comment cards and on my reviews. If they do exactly what they promise to do? Hey, then they've done their job. And part of that job is going to be making up my room in the morning & the evening, unless the cruise line changes the service level. And my tipping would be commensurate with service level, just like anywhere else.

See, that's why I come to a site called 'cruise critic'. I'm not looking for an echo chamber. If you only want to hear positives about your favorite things, by all means, start your own board or FB group to keep yourself insulated from those who think differently from you.

Just love to hear people complain about everything on a cruise they chose to take (no matter why they chose it, it boils down to choice). :confused:

Yes, heaven forfend that someone give an opinion on a post asking for opinions when it dares to differ from yours, right? How horrible.

We were on the Breeze in February and there were 4 of us in the cabin so we were using both the couch and the drop down bed from the ceiling.

We chose the twice a day service but the couch and drop down beds were not converted back during the day. They remained "beds" for the entire week.

I think this was new for us as it seemed in the past that the beds would be put away during the day but I think in all honesty we liked that that they were left as beds the entire week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums