Once/day Cabin Steward service, which do you prefer AM/PM & why?

mamiamjo

Silly question but what is the difference between am and pm housekeeping? Also what time do they usually come around during that service?

It depends on what you like. We prefer both.

AM service they usually come in & clean up the room, bring clean towels, make the bed, vacuum, that kind of thing. I've seen the room steward anywhere b/w about 8:30 AM and 1:00 or so ... depends on where they are w/ rounds.

PM service we RARELY see ... usually they come while you are at dinner. They tidy up the room, change the towels, leave your Fun Times and excursion info/port info for the next day, turn down the bed ... leave your towel animal(s).

My wife and I tell them neither. We make the beds and keep the room tidy so all we need is clean towels which we just take from the cart when it's in the hall.

We leave the tips in place and also tip extra at the end of the cruise. These poor people have so many cabins and work so hard I feel bad knowing I'm contributing to their hardship.(y)

Bill

Mighty nice of you to do all the work and then tip them extra

Why would anyone give Carnival the excuse to load more cabins onto the already overworked cabin stewards ? By selecting AM or PM, Carnival will develop a pattern over a few months, and that will be the basis of adding a lot more cabins to the steward's load. Your cruise fare and mandatory gratuities pay for a morning cleaning and an another service while you are at dinner. If you want to sleep in or just hang around in the cabin in the morning, just put the "privacy" tag on your door. The major cleanings happen in the morning, but the evening cleaning does just about everything the morning one does, except possibly vacuuming. The towels you used are changed, your ice is refilled twice a day, your bed is made in the morning and then remade and turned down in the evening. I can't imagine why anyone would select anything other than BOTH.

Why would anyone give Carnival the excuse to load more cabins onto the already overworked cabin stewards ? By selecting AM or PM, Carnival will develop a pattern over a few months, and that will be the basis of adding a lot more cabins to the steward's load. Your cruise fare and mandatory gratuities pay for a morning cleaning and an another service while you are at dinner. If you want to sleep in or just hang around in the cabin in the morning, just put the "privacy" tag on your door. The major cleanings happen in the morning, but the evening cleaning does just about everything the morning one does, except possibly vacuuming. The towels you used are changed, your ice is refilled twice a day, your bed is made in the morning and then remade and turned down in the evening. I can't imagine why anyone would select anything other than BOTH.

So the logic is make them do everything you can (even if you don't care) so they done take anything away...

Sent from my iPhone

So the logic is make them do everything you can (even if you don't care) so they done take anything away...

Sent from my iPhone

I would not put it exactly that way but for all these years we have been paying for 2x service and if we accept once we will not pay anything less just suffer thru a reduction in service.

Wait...what?

They no longer put away the beds during the day?

That is just NOT ok.

On the Breeze a couple weeks ago they did not convert the couch back or put the overhead bed away during the day but we actually really liked it in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're absolutely right. I guess some think that choosing one or the other helps the stewards, as it they will then have time off during that "off" time.

Nope. The stewards used to have 15 to 20 cabins. It was revealed early on by loose lipped stewards that this was a ploy to get them to increase the amount of cabins to 30 and 35, also meaning they could eventually lay off people. Of course there were the doubters here, but this all proved to be true.

So in order for them to actually do their work and complete it, the stewards are looking for victims to take them up on the once a day service.

This was also rolled out on initially 4, then 6 or 7 ships. I have lost track where this rollout is now, but hopefully there was a enough pushback that they didn't roll it out fleet wide yet. And it appears they have not.

SO don't think it's a good thing that you are helping them by cutting back your service. Their goal is not you in mind. There goal is cut backs.

On the Breeze a couple weeks ago they did not convert the couch back or put the overhead bed away during the day but we actually really liked it in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are silent, they will do what they think YOU want. They have tried it with us, and I have made it clear to them what my wishes are if they don't perform as I expect.

I would not put it exactly that way but for all these years we have been paying for 2x service and if we accept once we will not pay anything less just suffer thru a reduction in service.

To the best of my recollection' date=' (and I wish it not be the case) I have not found a way to go back on anything in life. I have no idea (and I do not share your thoughts on where this is headed) what is going to happen, but I would be surprised under the worst scenario you would not be whole. That said, I will stand by my post that you quoted. [/color']

You're absolutely right. I guess some think that choosing one or the other helps the stewards, as it they will then have time off during that "off" time.

Nope. The stewards used to have 15 to 20 cabins. It was revealed early on by loose lipped stewards that this was a ploy to get them to increase the amount of cabins to 30 and 35, also meaning they could eventually lay off people. Of course there were the doubters here, but this all proved to be true.

So in order for them to actually do their work and complete it, the stewards are looking for victims to take them up on the once a day service.

This was also rolled out on initially 4, then 6 or 7 ships. I have lost track where this rollout is now, but hopefully there was a enough pushback that they didn't roll it out fleet wide yet. And it appears they have not.

SO don't think it's a good thing that you are helping them by cutting back your service. Their goal is not you in mind. There goal is cut backs.

\.......or, a cruiser could choose what they really want.

\.......or, a cruiser could choose what they really want.

They absolutely should choose what they really want, just without being influenced by possibly misplaced guilt about overworking the stewards or the idea that are helping the stewards' work schedule in the long-term by choosing once-a-day service.

They absolutely should choose what they really want, just without being influenced by possibly misplaced guilt about overworking the stewards or the idea that are helping the stewards' work schedule in the long-term by choosing once-a-day service.

Where in the world would that come from?

Sent from my iPhone

I think they want to make you feel bad or guilty about asking for twice a day...that's why the stewards ambush you in the hallway about it. Otherwise they'd let you make your selection when you select your check-in time and if you want your beds setup as a king or twins.

To the best of my recollection, (and I wish it not be the case) I have not found a way to go back on anything in life. I have no idea (and I do not share your thoughts on where this is headed) what is going to happen, but I would be surprised under the worst scenario you would not be whole. That said, I will stand by my post that you quoted.

As I said before hoping I am wrong about this but really dont think so. We would be whole by being Diamond and get 2x as a perk as I expect this to play out.

I think they want to make you feel bad or guilty about asking for twice a day...that's why the stewards ambush you in the hallway about it. Otherwise they'd let you make your selection when you select your check-in time and if you want your beds as a king or twins.

Sounds a tad (actually a lot more than tad) conspiracy theory to me. Let's break it down: you have a choice (they could easily just pick it if that is really what they wanted to do), you can a service or both and turn down and that would make you feel guilty?

Sent from my iPhone

I'm sure that this "level of specificity" isn't offered (nor is it expected by me by the way), but I'm sure that if I check both and tell the steward I don't need two services on sea days, I doubt I'll be reported to the "how many services a day" fairy. With the reported 34 cabins to service is true, I doubt the cabin steward would be too upset by my request.

Cindy

I got your point I just don't believe the crew is set up for taking these kind of instructions when they are servicing 35 cabins even if the net result would be labor saving for them.

Where in the world would that come from?

Sent from my iPhone

People have posted on these threads that they feel guilty asking for twice-a-day service and/or decide to give their stewards a break by asking for once-a-day service or doing most of the work themselves. Some of this comes from their own ideas about stewards, and some people have reported hearing stories from stewards about being overworked. Being asked by someone how much work you want them to do for you, for a set amount you've already paid, is uncomfortable enough for some people, and then you add the guilt some people have over being more well-off because they're American (or Canadian or European) and the perception some have that stewards are very overworked. It would be less uncomfortable for everyone if Carnival had guests select their service/s when they book or complete online check-in, which would allow Carnival to re-balance workloads for particular cruises if certain areas have more twice-a-day cabins.

People have posted on these threads that they feel guilty asking for twice-a-day service and/or decide to give their stewards a break by asking for once-a-day service or doing most of the work themselves. Some of this comes from their own ideas about stewards, and some people have reported hearing stories from stewards about being overworked. Being asked by someone how much work you want them to do for you, for a set amount you've already paid, is uncomfortable enough for some people, and then you add the guilt some people have over being more well-off because they're American (or Canadian or European) and the perception some have that stewards are very overworked. It would be less uncomfortable for everyone if Carnival had guests select their service/s when they book or complete online check-in, which would allow Carnival to re-balance workloads for particular cruises if certain areas have more twice-a-day cabins.

I doubt that Carnival would switch that to pre-boarding. It just does no fit. They are not rebalancing anything work load either. Seems easy to me. Choose what you want. If it "bothers" them take what you get.

Sent from my iPhone

Im dissapointed carnival would force this on their guests. I always felt bad for cabin stewards because they already had a big work load. Now it seems their work load is being increased to cut costs and inconvenience guests. Ive always liked having my room tidied in the morning and beds made. I also liked coming back to my bed being set up for me. Its just personable service. I also liked having my ice bucket filled twice a day. I dont think its right to get these stewards to ask us to pick one or the other because it puts guests in an awkward uncomfortable situation who would otherwise expect twice a day service. That being said, I was on a cruise in December and never asked. I will expect both because that is what I am used to, and what part of my gratuity pays for. Are they lowering gratuities since they are cutting service? Of course not. Also I heard they no longer move 3rd persons bed out of the way during the day? Not gonna happen in my room. There will be 3 of us sleeping in our room, one being a trundle bed. Theres already limited space in these cabins as it is. Ill expect the bed to be at least folded and out of the way during the day. I also tip more if they deserve it. It does make me feel bad and probably do a bit of extra tidying myself if their work load is too strenuous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

Edited by tennboy1981

John Heald keeps saying you can have twice a day. Some stewards try to steer you to once a day. There's a clear disconnect between corporate policy and Ketut the cabin boy. Lack of corporate control and bad management. Or, pick your maybe not so conspiratorial theory.

Sounds a tad (actually a lot more than tad) conspiracy theory to me. Let's break it down: you have a choice (they could easily just pick it if that is really what they wanted to do), you can a service or both and turn down and that would make you feel guilty?

Sent from my iPhone

It does not seem efficient to have a steward coordinate to see 30+ sets of people on boarding day vs being able to select this during your online check in, along with check in time, dining preference, bed arrangement, etc. This is doubly so if, as has been claimed, it is true that some attendants have rooms on multiple decks.

Moving that online would seem to free up a lot of time for room attendant staff on boarding day. Another bonus would be a clear, concise, consistent explanation of your options on the website.

Do you think moving these options online would be a more efficient method vs a room attendant visiting 30+ sets of guests on boarding day?

It does not seem efficient to have a steward coordinate to see 30+ sets of people on boarding day vs being able to select this during your online check in, along with check in time, dining preference, bed arrangement, etc. This is doubly so if, as has been claimed, it is true that some attendants have rooms on multiple decks.

Moving that online would seem to free up a lot of time for room attendant staff on boarding day. Another bonus would be a clear, concise, consistent explanation of your options on the website.

Do you think moving these options online would be a more efficient method vs a room attendant visiting 30+ sets of guests on boarding day?

Of course it would be more efficient. Thus, it will never happen. LOL

We like both AM and PM, but sometimes after going to breakfast and returning to our cabin it wasn't made up yet. If we get back and the room isn't made up and since my husband spends a lot of time in the cabin due to limited mobility, we tell our cabin steward to just give us clean towels and fresh ice in the morning and full service in the PM.