Concerned about solstice's latest reviews, need reassurance please?????

portcbob

Hi celebrity cruisers. Have booked a long way out for our New Zealand cruise from Sydney. We have read some very negative reviews of late about the solstice and also the itinerary ( New Zealand ). My wife and I normally cruise Norwegian, Royal and princess and we were waiting for the opportunity to cruise on a solstice class ship from celebrity for a long time hopefully to get a great experience from ( celebrity ).

Does anyone recommend this cruise to nz on the solstice just to put our minds to rest or have we done the wrong thing?????

Kind regards bob and Chris.

We spent 35 days on the Solstice last year doing a B2B -New Zealand & Australia. We had a great cruise! We joined others from our Roll Call and did independent excursions in some ports and others we DYI'd.

I don't write reviews and don't read them so not sure specifically what you are reading that had you concerned. The ship is beautiful, food and service were excellent, met a lot fun people and thoroughly enjoyed our trip. We would recommend it.

Hi celebrity cruisers. Have booked a long way out for our New Zealand cruise from Sydney. We have read some very negative reviews of late about the solstice and also the itinerary ( New Zealand ). My wife and I normally cruise Norwegian, Royal and princess and we were waiting for the opportunity to cruise on a solstice class ship from celebrity for a long time hopefully to get a great experience from ( celebrity ).

Does anyone recommend this cruise to nz on the solstice just to put our minds to rest or have we done the wrong thing?????

I didn't read the review you are speaking about ( keep in mind reviews are very subjective ) but we were on the Solstice to Alaska this past May and loved it. She was showing some signs of wear but I am thinking I had heard that after we were on it she was going into drydock but can't swear to it.

Been on the Solstice twice and both were great. We have a Great Barrier Reef cruise booked on her next March. There are way more 5 star reviews than one star reviews so i would not worry too much. And typically people that have a bad experience are way more likely to write a review.

We went to Alaska on Solstice in June 2016 and it was a fabulous experience - we loved the food in MDR, entertainment etc etc. The almost daily live glass blowing show was the best! There is nothing about Solstice and the experience that I don't love...

We never felt crowded on the ship and it felt like we were in a large 4/5 Star hotel the whole time.

We were on the Solstice in December from Auckland to Sydney. We loved the 14 day cruise despite some rough weather. The service was the best we have had on any Celebrity ship. We did mainly private tours with CC cruisers. We met some great people on those tours which made the cruise even more fun. We cruised with our 8 yo granddaughter and were impressed with the kids program

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on a B2B set of cruises on the Solstice this last fall -- Honolulu to Sydney followed by Sydney to Singapore. Once we reached Singapore the Solstice went into dry dock. Despite being on the Solstice just prior to the dry dock we thought she was in fine condition with an excellent staff. Loved the ship.

Thankyou guys for making us feel better.

Cheers bob.

When do you sail on Solstice Bob? We will be on her on June 16 to Alaska. I will write a detailed review and post it when we are off.

Jim

Been on a similar Auckland to Sydney itinerary on the Solstice. No major problems and great itinerary. Sometimes people let relatively minor issues, such as infrequent inadequate service or improperly prepared food, interfere with their overall enjoyment. I have gotten to the point where I don't expect perfection. We have been on 35 cruises and never had a bad cruise.

I have gotten to the point where I don't expect perfection. We have been on 35 cruises and never had a bad cruise.

And that's how you have great vacations. Lets face it, no vacation is perfect. There's always something (like the 9 hour delay at LAX on our last trip), but if you just roll with it and make the best of it you'll have a wonderful cruise. I know I'm going to have great meals, and a few not so great. I know some of the entertainment will be fabulous, and some not so much. I know I will meet some really great people....and a few of "those other types". But I will have a great cruise because I'm on a cruise and not at work:D

We were on Solstice last month, Auckland to Sydney. It's the second time we've done this cruise, the first was 14 months prior.

As expected some things were better than we remembered, especially the MDR meals where the quality of food seemed to have improved considerably. We also loved Sushi on 5 for lunch on sea days.

Some things weren't as good though - some of the bedlinen and towels were past their use by date, with obvious tears around the bottom of sheets and edges of a couple of towels. Also the bottom sheet didn't seem to fit well and I always woke up with it rucked up under me.

We enjoyed the recent cruise just as much as the previous one. The NZ itineraries are great, but I must say we like them because it gives us a chance to catch up with friends and family there. However, as an expat Kiwi, the typical port stops are some of my favourite places in NZ and allow a great range of sightseeing. The scenic cruising through Fiordland is something I could do over and over and over again. So spectacular! Milford Sound is even more awesome when approached from the sea - make sure you're out on deck before the ship enters the sound. The port side of deck 14 forward is the best place to be IMHO. Dusky and Doubtful Sounds are also very beautiful, pristine NZ wilderness at it's best.

The NZ Solstice cruises attract a wider demographic than some of the other cruises we have been on, and we have enjoyed making friends with people from all over the world.

We have done a number of Princess cruises as well, and rank Solstice on a par with that line.

As long as you are prepared to make the best of your cruise I predict you'll have a wonderful time. :D

Also experienced two great Solstice cruises!

The service on our last cruise was so good we are worried that service on our next cruise may not match up!

Solstice is not new, but she doesn't look old either! We did not find her shabby at all!

Just a comment re your cruise if you do have any issues....just mention it to the staff and they will sort it.

We have done 6 cruises on the Solstice, two last year and are booked on the Feb 18 Sydney to Auckland cruise. If I didn't think this ship was up to the mark you can be assured that I wouldn't be committing my money to this cruise line and this ship. I have done the Auckland to Sydney leg previously and now want to experience a slightly different itinerary. There are always something that don't go as well as one would hope on a cruise but it is how one deals with them and how the crew resolves your issues. If one has a problem then appropriate crew should be advised otherwise it cannot be corrected

Just returned from the Sydney to Auckland cruise two weeks ago. Absolutely wonderful cruise. Third time on Solstice. Ship was great, staff wonderful, very good entrainment and excellent food ( MDR, oceanview cafe, speciality restaurants). We did mostly small group excursions, a couple thru the ship.

I recommend spending several days in Sydney. We absolutely loved it.

Happy to answer any specific questions

Vicky

This is a reassuring thread as I have just booked my bucket list cruise on Solstice from Honolulu to Sydney. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this cruise a couple of years ago! Absolutely fantastic itinerary...Hope to do it again one day!

Just got off the most recent Auckland to Sydney. Had a great time. We did get some rain at the start in New Zealand and we had a rafting excursion get cancelled because the river was too strong, but weather happens.

If I were the type to look for problems, I am sure I could have come back with some to relate, but why would you want to look for problems?

Enjoy your cruise!

If you have Smithsonian Channel on your TV check out a program called Mighty Ships or Mighty Cruise ships. They do an entire hour on the Solstice trip to Australia. Not sure but there might be a couple of New Zealand ports on that trip.

You are doing the right thing, reading the reviews and asking questions and researching. It's too big a trip not to plan it in some detail. I researched the heck out of Celebrity and Solstice because I wanted to make sure it was the right fit for us. It was, we had a great trip, and I mostly agree with the positive replies that have already been posted. The ship was clean, the food was decent, the crew was friendly and helpful. I honestly think being prepared for the unexpected as well as the expected is key to your cruise experience, no matter which line you are on. We thought the New Zealand cruise ports were wonderful, but again, we researched the options and planned accordingly. We used a mix of cruise excursions and private excursions and it was just about right. But of course, you will never be able to experience it fully on an excursion, so be realistic with your expectations of what you can see in a day.

If you have Smithsonian Channel on your TV check out a program called Mighty Ships or Mighty Cruise ships. They do an entire hour on the Solstice trip to Australia. Not sure but there might be a couple of New Zealand ports on that trip.

Coincidentally, the show about the Solstice is on tomorrow night (Tues, 7th) at 6:00P.M. Azamara Journey is on today at 6.

My wife and have been on 3 Solstice cruises. Took Aust. NZ cruise Jan 2014. Great cruise. Was on ship in Sept for Vancouver

Hawaii cruise. I have never passed a crew member or officer without a hello with a smile. The Solstice ships (5) all get 82 to 86 ratings. CDC inspections 6 of the Celebrity 9 ships got an 100% rating. No other cruise line was even close.I have read 1000s and 1000s of reviews. A very small percentage give low ratings 10 will give 4 or 5 rating then 1 person give a 1 or 2 rating then the next 10 give a 4 or 5 rating. I throw out the one very low rating. Any problem we had was fixed promptly.On my cruises (5) the cruises tend to be retired 70% 60 or older,20% 45 to 60. Very few children and never felt crowded and peaceful cruises.

In Sept.2016 still no Lawn Grill and no porch. But ship went in for a dry dock in late Oct. I have not heard what changes were made. Ship was christened 2008.