Tracy Arm Fjord, 1st week of June

Jimbo

Give me the odds of being able to take an excursion to go up the river and see that? and is Juneau the best port to do that excursion in, meaning is Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point to far away. We will be on a cruise ship.

What private companies are people using?

Jimbo:)

I believe Juneau is the only port to do the excursion from.

The 2 vendors are Allen Marine (through cruise ship) and AdventureBound Alaska. There are only a few ships that meet the time requirements for AdventureBound Alaska. It is a great excursion if you have in port for it.

Just looked up Infinity and it appears that you have time to do it with AdventureBound. I strongly recommend it. You will have to ask the owners the chances, they have a good track record. If they can't go, they will make it worth it by going to Endicott Arm instead.

I would email them. http://www.adventureboundalaska.com Make sure you tell them what ship you are on. They are very accommodating.

Infinity? Looking at the Celebrity website.... there are two tours and two prices for Tracy Arm.

Gonna guess the more expensive JU76 is Juneau return. The cheaper and shorter duration TA01 is done with a mid-ocean transfer.

I would think the TA01 option is preferred.... not only is it cheaper, but it maximizes your Juneau port time.

Give me the odds of being able to take an excursion to go up the river and see that? and is Juneau the best port to do that excursion in, meaning is Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point to far away. We will be on a cruise ship.

What private companies are people using?

We made it to both of the Sawyer Glaciers on June 8, 2012. Last year it wasn't passable until August (based on reports read on CC.)

We took the excursion that meat the ship at the mouth of the fjord.

Juneau is the only city where you can take this excursion. There are very few ships that are in Juneau long enough for you to do the trip RT from Juneau.

Right now we have a whale watching excursion booked for Juneau...........so you are suggesting cancel it and do the excursion to Tracy Arm Fjord.

I would. Not sure if you are going privately or through the ship. Privately the cost is about the same as whale watching but you get a whole day excursion and you may see some whales also. You will see quite a bit more also. For me it is a no brainer.

Infinity? Looking at the Celebrity website.... there are two tours and two prices for Tracy Arm.

Gonna guess the more expensive JU76 is Juneau return. The cheaper and shorter duration TA01 is done with a mid-ocean transfer.

I would think the TA01 option is preferred.... not only is it cheaper, but it maximizes your Juneau port time.

Agreed. If you can take the excursion from the ship, that would be my preference. I loved Tracy Arm and Sawyer glacier, but I wouldn't go out of Juneau. I liked the the small boat from the ship and back. I wouldn't want to lose port time.

Right now we have a whale watching excursion booked for Juneau...........so you are suggesting cancel it and do the excursion to Tracy Arm Fjord.

I wouldn't. Not if your preference is for whales. However, if you'd rather get up close to the glacier, then by all means go for it.

It would be privately from Juneau, we are in port from 7:30am to 8pm. Have never been to Alaska yet so don't really have a preference to know which we are going to like better.

It's all new to us.

It would be privately from Juneau, we are in port from 7:30am to 8pm. Have never been to Alaska yet so don't really have a preference to know which we are going to like better.

It's all new to us.

I hear ya.:rolleyes: Sometimes you just have to make an educated guess. Have you tried looking at a few YouTube videos that other travelers have posted? I've found them to be a major help with these kinds of decisions.

It's all new to us.

I definitely would do Tracy Arm. It is my favorite excursion (and I have done whale watching several times). For the cost, it is a deal for the entire day. While not guaranteed, on both of my excursions, I have seen more whales on this trip then I have going on whale watching excursions. They won't say that you will definitely see whales but they will stop if they see whales. They will also stop for bears (which I have also seen on both trips) and other wildlife.

Here is a link to my friend Doug's album:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1274880

Most people I know say this tour is the highlight of their trip.

If you want to do both, you can do whale watching out of Ice Strait Point. (I believe from the initial post that you may be stopping there as well.)

We made it to both of the Sawyer Glaciers on June 8, 2012. Last year it wasn't passable until August (based on reports read on CC.)

I sailed Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound third week of May last year. So it was "passable " before August.