Specialy restaurant discounts on board. How to get?

I have seen several discussions that discounts to the specialty restaurants are available after boarding.

How? When?

Is this something posted at the restaurant or listed in the daily?

Does one ask for discounts?

Obviously, we have no clue, so advice will be appreciated.

We will cruise Reflection in two weeks.

I have seen several discussions that discounts to the specialty restaurants are available after boarding.

How? When?

You will find when you board many stations with employees selling restaurant packages. Typically day one you can get a good deal for a specialty restaurant. We book before the cruise and find we get a package that saves money sometimes more then 30%. So you will get a discount if you by a package. If you have a ship credit- then wait until you board. Enjoy your cruise.

How? When?

Most of the time the staff from the restaurants will position themselves around the ship. Especially when coming back from an excursion. The discount we did was $250(for 2 people)for 4 different rest. We chose 2 times for Murano & 1 each for Qsine & Tuscan. For single nights they often discount 25% or more. It all depends on how many pax dine in the rest. We noticed a lot more empty seats(by NO means empty, however)on our 14 day Eclipse trip this past Jan.

As Cruise a holic said there are restaurant staff as you board selling packages and individual reservations. They offer a discount for night one.

During your cruise you will see restaurant staff standing outside the entrance to the Oceanview restaurant ready to make you a reservation in one of the restaurants-sometimes they offer a discount, if they don't then ask if they can offer you a discount. How much will depend on how booked the speciality restaurants are.

Easiest way is to look at the entrance to the buffet, someone is usually there, perhaps at a podium with offers.

Second, if there are any demonstrations at the specialty restaurants, attend one, then casually mention you are interested in dining there, an offer is usually extended.

We have even been "hijacked" in the elevator on our way to dinner, by someone hustling business.

Lastly you may see someone standing by the door as you walk by, just make conversation......

We have been offered 25-30% off of single dinners by the staff that hangs out outside the buffet during lunch hours on most cruises. But we haven't taken advantage but a couple times because times/days available weren't to our liking.

A couple other times we were able to go to the restaurant and found they could seat us within 30 min. with 25% discount.

So yes, just ask and keep an eye out for offers. The restaurants are pretty costly so they seem to be trying to fill the tables with a more acceptable upcharge. Some are better/more popular than others.

Edited by eandj

Most of the time the staff from the restaurants will position themselves around the ship. Especially when coming back from an excursion. The discount we did was $250(for 2 people)for 4 different rest. We chose 2 times for Murano & 1 each for Qsine & Tuscan. For single nights they often discount 25% or more. It all depends on how many pax dine in the rest. We noticed a lot more empty seats(by NO means empty, however)on our 14 day Eclipse trip this past Jan.

For our upcoming 14 day on the Eclipse, that's the price we paid to book the 4 dinner package online ahead of time. :)

For our upcoming 14 day on the Eclipse, that's the price we paid to book the 4 dinner package online ahead of time. :)

When you prebook a package, do you get to reserve day and time or just pick the restaurants?

Last summer on our Silhouette British Isles 14 night we wanted to Qsine on the second night of the cruise. We walked up to the desk at Qsine around 2:30 on the first day we were on board and asked if they could handle 12 people (from our roll call) at 6:30 the next night. Then we said "What kind of amazing discount can we get?" He gave us all 30% off.

About halfway through the cruise it became known around the ship that any Elite could get 35% off in any of the specialty restaurants. We did three. Just ask with a smile on your face and you will be all set. Or should you be Elite or Elite Plus, just say you have read on Cruise Critic that there is sometimes a discount for those groups.

We never pre-book because we want to use our OBC and not pay in advance. If you don't have much in the way of OBC, a package can be a good deal.

Good luck,

Jim

When you prebook a package, do you get to reserve day and time or just pick the restaurants?

The package asks you to pick either the first or second night for your first reservation when you book. No mention of which restaurant, but I've heard that they assign you to one and will tell you when you board - but you can change it on board. This is my first time pre-booking specialty restaurants - so I'll defer to others who may be able to add details or correct me :)

The package asks you to pick either the first or second night for your first reservation when you book. No mention of which restaurant, but I've heard that they assign you to one and will tell you when you board - but you can change it on board. This is my first time pre-booking specialty restaurants - so I'll defer to others who may be able to add details or correct me :)

We were able to choose the rest. of our choice & the days. We did book this on board, rather than prebook, so there may be differences.

When we sailed the Constellation in Aqua Class we were on the ship early. The restaurant hawkers offered us 50% off but since that was our first Blu sailing we didn't bite. On the following Summit also in AQ we were offered 30% but I told him, on our last cruise in AQ we were offered 50%. He said, I can do that so we got a BOGO free.

Then on the Eclipse at the end of the hallway cooking demonstration, I was offered the Silk Harvest for $20 instead of the regular $35.However on the Equinox the next month, the most discount they would do was 30% off even though they were very heavily pushing the Qsine. So it appeared to me they weren't heavily booked.

Ask for more than you expect. You can always accept their 30% off.

I agree that sometimes some of the specialty restaurants are available at a nice discount- when you book on line you do save 30% or more depending upon the package. You can enjoy the date, time and restaurant you want and not "settle" for what is left over. We are very fussy and with the exception of day one- always take a package.

It really depends upon how flexible you are.

We just boarded the Solstice in Vancouver in Sept. for Hawaiian cruise. 15 feet from free boarding cocktail was a waiter with clip board against the wall. I knew what he was there for. I said Murano and Tustan. He said 30% off. I said sold and he booked time and dates. In 5 cruises I have not been pestered by sales man as some people have stated selling beverage, photo or food pkgs.

We prebooked the 4 dinner package with onboard credit called the captains club to link with friends. They said that when we get onboard we would be able to pick restaurants she said that it used to be Tuscan Grille for first night but she thinks that has changed, won't know for sure until we board.

Just back from the Infinity. Employee stopped us as we were coming onboard from a port stop (Punta del Este) asked us if we wanted to make a reservation at Tuscan Grill. We said yes but how much. She said $45 per person. We said too high. How about $30 pp. She agreed. Got a 7PM reservation and happily ate at TG two nights later.

Did the same negotiation on the Silhouette for the Lawn Grill. We smile and ask nicely and they usually agree.:)

One formal evening last Fall on Millie the line for Select dining (without reservations) was pretty long with a lot of people mingling around that area. We decided we weren't in the mood to join the throngs that night and wanted a more quiet atmosphere. So we went to Tuscan and inquired about a two-for-one. They declined that, but said we could have 30% off, which we accepted. Were immediately seated without waiting.

We have often obtained discounts (ranging from 25 - 50%) by simply asking. You can certainly ask the staff as soon as you board...and will likely be able to get a nice discount for that first night (when most folks do not want to dine in the alternative restaurants). But we are always asking (quietly and in private) throughout the cruise. Sometimes it works well...and other times we are simply told "no discounts." On our most recent Eclipse cruise we dined in Murano the first night (with a very nice discount) and mentioned to our waiter we would love to come back another night...if we could get 35% off. The waiter went off to find the boss and came back a minute later to accept our challenge...the key being we had to dine after 8pm (which we prefer). At that 2nd discounted dinner we had the same wonderful waiter and mentioned we would love to get the same discount in Qsine. A few minutes later our waiter returned and said we could have that discount in Qsine if we would go on a specific night at 8 (again perfect).

My point is that it never hurts to ask (politely and quietly) as the worst that happens is a "No." But the staff in these restaurants will usually bend over backwards to help folks that are polite and treat them with respect.

Hank

My point is that it never hurts to ask (politely and quietly) as the worst that happens is a "No." But the staff in these restaurants will usually bend over backwards to help folks that are polite and treat them with respect.

Well said. Politeness and discretion go a long way.....