2017 US Passport Renewal

lj77346

I mailed my renewal to Philadelphia on July 18 (regular processing) and the estimated return date is Aug 2. Two weeks versus the six to eight mentioned on the website. Definitely didn't need it that quickly, but pleased nonetheless.

Sent via mobile device using app

That's awesome! I sent my renewal in on July 20 expedited and I was told 2-3 weeks! Guess that was a waste of $$ if regular processing is being done faster than expedited!! Needed to expedite it so I can hopefully get my global entry interview in the next month.

That's awesome! I sent my renewal in on July 20 expedited and I was told 2-3 weeks! Guess that was a waste of $$ if regular processing is being done faster than expedited!! Needed to expedite it so I can hopefully get my global entry interview in the next month.

I think those with Global Entry already are getting their passports processed faster but it's just my opinion. Got mine on Saturday 7-29 so that was 12 days counting the day I mailed it. Not what I expected at all.

I recommend getting you picture taken at a post office that accepts passport applications. Some of the other places that take photos don't always get them right the acceptance offices get them right.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My passport picture is just awful [emoji13]and now I have to look at it for ten years [emoji13]. I am not sure why you need both a passport book and card??? The book takes you everywhere and the card does not?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My passport picture is just awful [emoji13]and now I have to look at it for ten years [emoji13]. I am not sure why you need both a passport book and card??? The book takes you everywhere and the card does not?

You don't have to get both the book and the card. I just renewed mine and only got the book

O

I've always thought my passport picure looked just awful.

The funny thing is, when I go to renew it after 10 years ..... it really doesn't look so bad. ;p

You don't need both. The passport takes you everywhere. The card is only for surface travel to Canada and Mexico, and can be used in the Caribbean for cruising ( I believe). I've never bothered with the card until I renewed my passport this year. The only reason I got the card was as a government issued photo ID for air travel within the US. Since some states are currently non-compliant with the new real ID requirements for drivers licenses, I thought it would be more convenient to take for domestic flights as ID than my passport.

Our passport renewals were processed very quickly as well. That said (and maybe it goes without saying) I would still assume the estimated processing time and take it as good luck if it comes sooner. Would hate to see anyone assume a short processing time and then miss a cruise because the government does what the government is prone to do. Just MHO.

I spent the extra money and got both a passport book and passport card. While the passport book sits in a safe at home unless I travel, I carry the passport card with me all the time. Think of it as a super ID on certain matters. Also, having a valid passport makes things a little easier especially when you get the opportunity to travel internationally on extremely short notice.

• 1 month later...

As for Passport Photos, I used this iphone app the other day - pretty cool: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/itseasyphoto/id919521841?mt=8

I just had the photo file sent to me via email, but you can have them print out the photo and mail to you for pretty short money.

As I was searching around for answers on my passport dilemma, I found this site: https://howtogetapassport.org/ which seems to have a ton of information. Hopefully this helps some people here.

As for Passport Photos, I used this iphone app the other day - pretty cool: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/itseasyphoto/id919521841?mt=8

I just had the photo file sent to me via email, but you can have them print out the photo and mail to you for pretty short money.

Or even easier and faster, just take and print your own passport photos.

We take ours in the bathroom at home, which has a plain white wall and good lighting.

Doing it yourself costs nothing, there is no mailing or traveling anywhere, you can take as many photos as you like, whenever you like at your own convenience.

Best of all, there are no doubts about whether or not the photos you choose will be acceptable, as long as you are willing to read and follow the instructions.

All the photo requirements are clearly spelled out in detail at this link

US Passport Photos

We have taken and printed our own passport photos for at least our last 3 passports, long before they had apps for doing it, and never had a problem.

Any free photo editing program can be used to size them correctly; you don't need Photoshop or a fancy, expensive printer.

Most of the people we know take their own passport photos as well, and none of us would be considered professional photographers by any stretch of the imagination.

But I do think that those of us who take our own passport photos are more careful about checking all the specs, making sure to get everything just right, than some kid who takes passport photos for customers at a local drugstore or warehouse store.

Edited by fleckle

If the photo is not on "photo paper" (not "white paper best for photos" like for inkjects, but real photo paper, that won't work on an inkjet), you run the risk of it not being accepted. Of course you can do all this stuff yourself with Photoshop, and look up the specs, and measure the pictures. Or you can use an app and its internal guides and get a perfect picture in seconds. That itseasy app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/itseasyphoto/id919521841?mt=8 has a nice service where they will review with a human your photo to make sure it is correct. If time is of the essnce, you don't want to mess around.

The only thing I'd worry about with using this or any app is determining what you're giving away for the "free" access. I'd rather pay the tech at CVS a few bucks to take and print a photo of me than to have all of my personal information given to a developer who is going to use it for who knows what. I also cannot imagine what service this app performs that is any better than taking a photo with your camera and sizing it yourself. You can always take that digital image to a kiosk at CVS or Walgreen's or Staples or lots of other places to have it printed on photo paper. We somehow managed to survive all these years without purpose-specific "free" apps where the product is really you.

Hi Texed, I was just asking about you on another thread. Hope all is well. Are you still cruising and eating waffles[emoji23][emoji23]

Hello there. So nice of you to think of us. We were very blessed.

Yes, we are still cruising and eating waffles. ;)