Booking an accessible cabin on Royal Princess?

Baby_Bear

Hi everyone! Former Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruiser here, now seriously considering Princess for the first time. We are looking at a Mediterranean cruise on the Royal Princess later this summer.

Briefly - my cruising partner in crime is my mom. Due to a combination of arthritis and ligament damage from old sports injuries, she has a painful left hip and knee. Not just pain but stiffness and pretty much every day now, she has to use a walking stick. She will most probably need surgery this fall. We were initially disappointed as we were hoping to cruise this summer but her doctor says she can still go, as long as she uses a wheelchair at the airports and takes it easy both on the ship and shore excursions.

Shore excursions are not a problem as we can book private tours and go slowly. But I was wondering about whether I should book an accessible cabin for her. My understanding is, those are located very near elevators and also the mini suites will have showers rather than tubs which is much easier for her. My question is - should we not book it as she's not actually in a wheelchair? Should we keep them just for wheelchair passengers? We don't want to take away something from someone who really needs it but in this case, we may need it.

Also - what kind of documentation do we need? Should we submit a letter from her physician and/or her surgeon?

Also - and this is more for me - what difference is there in a regular mini suite vs an accessible one? Does the shower area get messy due to the water spray? Any other differences?

Finally, are there any regular mini suites with showers? The bathtub is really quite tough for her to climb in and out of.

Thanks so much! We are excited at the chance to cruise again and possibly trying Princess. Our friends have gone on Princess and loved it!

Here are links to photos of an interior accessible cabin & a standard minisuite on the Regal which is the same as the Royal.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/regal-princess-679/wheelchair-accessible-interior-cabin-100421/

http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/regal-princess-679/minisuite-cabin-100460/

The huge minisuite balcony is not the normal balcony on the majority of the Royal's balconies. Most are 9'x4' which is slightly smaller than the standard 9'x5' balconies on most other Princess ships. The Royal's larger balconies are a few at the front (I think one of them is shown), aft facing & in the midship bump out area.

Edited by Astro Flyer

This is rather a sore subject for me. My son is a disabled vet who has been a "high functioning" quadriplegic since he broke his neck in the army at the age of 20. He is now 42. When he (or others in his situation) cruise they can't use a standard room or mini suite. The door isn't wide enough. The toilet and shower aren't accessible. The closet doesn't have reachable hangers. When one simply can't stand at all these things are very important.

My take is that, unless the HC cabin is an absolute necessity, book something else. (Of course sometimes the HC cabins aren't full and Princess upgrades folks to those cabins but it's not something I would count on.)

Edited by Thrak

I would recommend you not book a standard mini-suite. My wife has mobility issues, including problems getting into the tub. We will book an outside or balcony cabin or a full suite - but not a mini-suite.

The inside, outside, and balcony cabins have a small walk-in shower (no tub).

I would recommend you not book a standard mini-suite. My wife has mobility issues, including problems getting into the tub. We will book an outside or balcony cabin or a full suite - but not a mini-suite.

The inside, outside, and balcony cabins have a small walk-in shower (no tub).

Good point. I found that the step down out of the tub in the mini suite is something that wouldn't be good for someone with mobility or balance issues. It wasn't like getting out of a tub at home.

If your mother can manage the step up into the bathroom you may find you are better off in a standard or deluxe balcony cabin rather than either a mini-suite or an accessible cabin. The balcony cabins will have a shower, not a tub that has only a small step to enter. There will be a raised area around the shower that contains the water much better than the open drain in the accessible room. I had polio as a child and can no longer do steps at all so must reserve an accessible room. I have had water all over at times, which is of course dangerous for walking even if I had adequate balance which I do not.

Really appreciate the poster asking regarding being able to book a handicapped cabin. I get upset when I see a couple that are mobile walking out of a handicapped cabin. they may have problems like tiring easily, heart issues, balance, etc but they can book a balcony cabin close to elevators.I feel so sorry for handicapped people that can't get a cabin and therefore can't cruise because these are taken up by thoughtless people who book them for the larger space.

I had a sister who was a paraplegic. She had trouble even parking her vehicle because all the handicapped spaces taken by anyone with an excuse.

Okay, I need to stop my ranting.

Really appreciate the poster asking regarding being able to book a handicapped cabin. I get upset when I see a couple that are mobile walking out of a handicapped cabin. they may have problems like tiring easily, heart issues, balance, etc but they can book a balcony cabin close to elevators.I feel so sorry for handicapped people that can't get a cabin and therefore can't cruise because these are taken up by thoughtless people who book them for the larger space.

I had a sister who was a paraplegic. She had trouble even parking her vehicle because all the handicapped spaces taken by anyone with an excuse.

Not all who are able bodied and in an HC cabin are stealing it from a disabled person. My wife and I aren't mobility impaired but once had a HC cabin on Caribe deck on Crown Princess. We were actually booked in an IF category (interior - forward) but Princess gave us a magic upgrade to the HC cabin. Apparently nobody had booked the cabin so we got an amazing upgrade. The cabin was very large and the balcony, of course, was very large as well. We would never attempt to book this sort of cabin but Princess for some reason decided to move us up about a zillion categories and put us in that cabin.

As for the HC parking spots... I'm with you. It really pi$$3s me off when they are abused. I had a severely disabled friend who had HC plates on the van and the car. His wife would park in the HC spots even when he wasn't in the vehicle. I see that sort of thing all the time. When my son was in the VA hospital there was a guy there who, when he found the parking spot he needed taken by someone without plates or a placard, would simply park his van behind the offending vehicle and then call the police. He wouldn't move his van to let the car out until the police had arrived and issued a very expensive ticket.

Depends I think on how limited her mobility is going to be... I'm a wheelchair user (my balance is appalling at present, but I can manage very short distances out of my chair either with crutches or someone holding me up ...or drag myself on my bum) and I'm currently in a regular mini on Dawn Princess - in part because I can afford the fare as third person, don't have a hope of affording an accessible cabin by the time I paid single supp as well - in part because at this point, I can cope without accessible. That said, we've a separate shower and bath, which i think only exist on Dawn, Sun & Sea - not the larger Princess ships? ... they put a shower stool in and toilet riser/frame, so I can manage okay for the most part. No way known I'd be able to get into a tub/shower combo though, and if I did by some miracle get myself into one, I'd be in need of rescue to get out again. I've also done a regular cabin - again shower, etc. are doable for me with my level of mobility, just a PITA because my chair doesn't fit through the door of a regular cabin (minis are a fair bit wider, even those that aren't accessible)

Hi everyone! Former Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruiser here, now seriously considering Princess for the first time. We are looking at a Mediterranean cruise on the Royal Princess later this summer.

Briefly - my cruising partner in crime is my mom. Due to a combination of arthritis and ligament damage from old sports injuries, she has a painful left hip and knee. Not just pain but stiffness and pretty much every day now, she has to use a walking stick. She will most probably need surgery this fall. We were initially disappointed as we were hoping to cruise this summer but her doctor says she can still go, as long as she uses a wheelchair at the airports and takes it easy both on the ship and shore excursions.

Shore excursions are not a problem as we can book private tours and go slowly. But I was wondering about whether I should book an accessible cabin for her. My understanding is, those are located very near elevators and also the mini suites will have showers rather than tubs which is much easier for her. My question is - should we not book it as she's not actually in a wheelchair? Should we keep them just for wheelchair passengers? We don't want to take away something from someone who really needs it but in this case, we may need it.

Also - what kind of documentation do we need? Should we submit a letter from her physician and/or her surgeon?

Also - and this is more for me - what difference is there in a regular mini suite vs an accessible one? Does the shower area get messy due to the water spray? Any other differences?

Finally, are there any regular mini suites with showers? The bathtub is really quite tough for her to climb in and out of.

Thanks so much! We are excited at the chance to cruise again and possibly trying Princess. Our friends have gone on Princess and loved it!

I use a mobility scooter because I cannot walk more than a step or two and definitely cannot climb over a tub side. The Royal has several accessible minis, one accessible suite, and some accessible balcony cabins. All have ramps into bathroom, ramps out to balcony, wide bathroom and entrance doors and showers. The floor of the bathroom does get wet. We wear flip flops in there to be less slippery. I would suggest that you bring or rent a wheelchair with big wheels ( little ones too hard to push over acres of carpet) for your mom. Chair can be folded out of the way in room, and when Mom feels overwhelmed with walking with just her cane, you can help her out. You can rent a chair from carevacations.com, and they will have it waiting in your cabin, and pick it up from there when you return.

There are also bars in bathroom and a fold down seat in shower. If you need more info, there is a disabled board here in the boards.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums I use a mobility scooter

Edited by DesrtDrmr

First off, thanks to everyone who responded. Above all, thanks for being so helpful and not assuming that we were trying to game the system to get a bigger cabin, etc. I saw someone getting absolutely crucified on the Royal Caribbean boards once for asking a similar question and it wasn't nice.

The reason we are thinking mini suite is because we really would like the extra space. We are thinking of doing the 14-day cruise and with two women in one cabin, extra space is always welcome, lol! And I fear the full suite is out of our price range since its a longer cruise. So I figured, its absolutely worth the extra cash for the mini suite.

You have given me a lot to think about. We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise in 2015 in a suite and I remember the tub being very high. Even at that time, poor mom struggled getting in and out due to her knee and I always had to be on hand to help her. If the Princess tubs are anything like that, it will be tough for sure. On the other hand, your point that the bathing area in an accessible cabin may be slippery after use is also worrying.

I think I will talk to my TA as well. She may recommend a solution. Perhaps the Deluxe Balcony Cabin that you mentioned? Are those larger than the regular balcony cabins?

I also like the idea of the collapsible wheelchair, I did not know we could rent that, just in case. Never having been in this situation before, I guess I never paid attention to these things.

Thanks again!

We've had a deluxe balcony cabin three times & it adds a love seat size couch for two people. The cabin's description is that it's about 9 sq.ft. larger & they've modified the desk area to have the couch. We still had sufficient room & enjoyed the couch when the weather kept us off the balcony.

Everything else in the cabin is the same setup & you'd have to get a minisuite to have more space.

The links to the Cruise Critic photos of the Regal that I previously posted contains links to other photos including some 360° views.

Deluxe balcony: http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/regal-princess-679/deluxe-balcony-cabin-100431/

Standard balcony which includes a 360° view showing the size of most balconies: http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/regal-princess-679/balcony-cabin-100478/

Edited by Astro Flyer

Not all who are able bodied and in an HC cabin are stealing it from a disabled person. My wife and I aren't mobility impaired but once had a HC cabin on Caribe deck on Crown Princess. We were actually booked in an IF category (interior - forward) but Princess gave us a magic upgrade to the HC cabin. Apparently nobody had booked the cabin so we got an amazing upgrade. The cabin was very large and the balcony, of course, was very large as well. We would never attempt to book this sort of cabin but Princess for some reason decided to move us up about a zillion categories and put us in that cabin.

I agree. It's never ceases to amaze me at how judgmental people can be not knowing squat about the situation.

Remind me not to visit my aunt and uncles handicap cabin unless I am pushing the wheelchair in or out of their cabin door. :(

Collapsible chair is the way to go - especially if you have tender ports and think you and your mum will want to get off. I'm sure some of the lightweight/collapsible scooter users will chip in with their tender experiences too - but with my manual folding chair I'm yet to have an issue, even in fairly windy/rocky conditions ...the mobility assistance guys are amazing

Collapsible chair is the way to go - especially if you have tender ports and think you and your mum will want to get off. I'm sure some of the lightweight/collapsible scooter users will chip in with their tender experiences too - but with my manual folding chair I'm yet to have an issue, even in fairly windy/rocky conditions ...the mobility assistance guys are amazing

You are right! Even when I take my scooter I bring the folding chair. Sometimes it's easier for embarking and disembarking and sometimes I use it while scooter is charging. Whatever cabin our OP chooses, I hope she'll take a chair in case her Mom gets tired. Took my Mom on a cruise, she insisted she could use her walker, no chair, and we spent whole cruise in our cabin or the dining room at the bottom of "our" elevator. I felt really bad that I hadn't just rented one and had it in the cabin.

I really appreciate this thread and the information everyone has shared. We have our daughter and her partner booked in an accessible inside on the Royal at the end of the month. She uses a power chair but we are also bringing her light weight transport chair to use for tendering, excursions and whenever else the heavy power chair might be less than desirable. The power chair gives her the most independence most of the time, but not always. She cannot use a scooter so this is our solution. It is her first cruise, and her first long trip since she became unable to walk, she is so excited and cannot wait until the 30th!!

I really appreciate this thread and the information everyone has shared. We have our daughter and her partner booked in an accessible inside on the Royal at the end of the month. She uses a power chair but we are also bringing her light weight transport chair to use for tendering, excursions and whenever else the heavy power chair might be less than desirable. The power chair gives her the most independence most of the time, but not always. She cannot use a scooter so this is our solution. It is her first cruise, and her first long trip since she became unable to walk, she is so excited and cannot wait until the 30th!!

Be aware that she may not be able to tender. If she can't get out of the chair in order to board the tender she will be denied. My adult son cruised with us a couple of times and was unable to go ashore at Maui (Lahaina) as he can't get out of the chair at all. Plan accordingly to avoid major disappointment onboard. The crew were absolutely fantastic at getting him up and down the gangplank at most port stops but there was no tendering. Period.

She can crutch up and down the steps in order to tender..she just cannot go any real distance...but if it is not a horrible day she should be ok. We only tender for Princess Cays and she is aware that she and her friend might be staying on board that day. We also are going to use it for some private tours where they can accommodate a folding manual chair but not the big power chair so we are glad to have the transport one.

Her condition is progressive so she will reach the point where clutching will not be possible, but while it is we are going to hope for the best and plan for the worst...she will enjoy a spa day or other on board activities if she cannot tender....after all, she is on a cruise on the beautiful Royal Princess...it's not really too bad, right?

She can crutch up and down the steps in order to tender..she just cannot go any real distance...but if it is not a horrible day she should be ok. We only tender for Princess Cays and she is aware that she and her friend might be staying on board that day. We also are going to use it for some private tours where they can accommodate a folding manual chair but not the big power chair so we are glad to have the transport one.

Her condition is progressive so she will reach the point where clutching will not be possible, but while it is we are going to hope for the best and plan for the worst...she will enjoy a spa day or other on board activities if she cannot tender....after all, she is on a cruise on the beautiful Royal Princess...it's not really too bad, right?

She should be able to do Princess bus excursions if you want (not just the ones that say wheelchair accessible) - as long as she can climb up into and down out of the bus and you take the folding manual chair. If you are looking at any of them, talk with the people at the Shore Excursions desk about each of them before the cancellation deadlines.

First off, thanks to everyone who responded. Above all, thanks for being so helpful and not assuming that we were trying to game the system to get a bigger cabin, etc. I saw someone getting absolutely crucified on the Royal Caribbean boards once for asking a similar question and it wasn't nice.

The reason we are thinking mini suite is because we really would like the extra space. We are thinking of doing the 14-day cruise and with two women in one cabin, extra space is always welcome, lol! And I fear the full suite is out of our price range since its a longer cruise. So I figured, its absolutely worth the extra cash for the mini suite.

You have given me a lot to think about. We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise in 2015 in a suite and I remember the tub being very high. Even at that time, poor mom struggled getting in and out due to her knee and I always had to be on hand to help her. If the Princess tubs are anything like that, it will be tough for sure. On the other hand, your point that the bathing area in an accessible cabin may be slippery after use is also worrying.

I think I will talk to my TA as well. She may recommend a solution. Perhaps the Deluxe Balcony Cabin that you mentioned? Are those larger than the regular balcony cabins?

I also like the idea of the collapsible wheelchair, I did not know we could rent that, just in case. Never having been in this situation before, I guess I never paid attention to these things.

Thanks again!

I sailed solo-Cerebral Palsy and Legally Blind, in a Window Suite on the Golden Princess last November. I found the drainage around the shower to be adequate-osteoporosis so terrified of falling and breaking a hip-and did use the extra towels to put down outside the drain in case of spillage. Ask your steward for extra towels for safety, they'll help.

I didn't know that about the Sea and Sun Princesses, thank you. A friend who sailed on the Sea Princess in a Suite warned me about the heavy balcony door, she was concerned I'd get trapped on the balcony unable to get back inside! :eek:

HTH.

My husband is blind - but doesn't look it as there's nothing wrong with his actual eyes, it's his optic nerves that are dead - and while he appears to be fully mobile he has no balance due to nerve damage. Princess want him in a cabin with rails in the bathroom so he can prevent a fall. I look perfectly healthy but have a hip and shoulder which dislocate and I can't step into a tub, and I need the rails. I certainly appreciate that appearances are deceptive!