Just off Oasis - quick thoughts

Just off Oasis from last week - quick thoughts here...we were in a Grand Suite, and while Suite perks were nice, it's not worth many thousands more. We've sailed Oasis and Allure multiple times in the past, but not a single person stood out as deserving of a WOW Award this time. It was as though the best were already taken and put on Harmony, or perhaps Quantum class ships.

Food in dining room was maybe a tiny bit better than last time on the ships. Izumi Hibachi was fine, but expensive (consider a specialty restaurant package).

Cabin - for a Grand Suite, we were a little disappointed. Persistent bad smell in the cabin, which was even worse in bathroom. Although engineering tried to find the source in the wall (in bathroom), they could only alleviate the smell for a day or two. And of course, our sailing was sold out so no option for changing. Also, curtains in the room smelled like when you first turn the heat on for the winter. Odd description, but that was it exactly.

Weather wasn't great the first two days with strong winds, but it was windy season.

HIGHLY recommend Adventure Race (a.k.a. Amazing Race) tour in St. Maarten - you don't have to be super athletic at all to have lots of fun. Also we really enjoyed Stingray encounter in Nassau on Balmoral Island.

Lots of discussion on board about Symphony, but NextCruise deals weren't anything you couldn't get on land (except that you could get your future credit applied to the current cruise). No real incentive there.

Don't know if it was almost time for a lot of the crew to be changed out (if their contracts were almost up), if the top folks have been moved to other ships, or what exactly, but I would recommend Allure over Oasis ten times out of ten. Or, save your money and try Harmony/Symphony better yet.

I heard a LOT of people on board talking about how they preferred other ships and other cruise lines to this sailing on Oasis. That surprised me, as we've sailed Oasis multiple times in the past and loved it. This time, it was only a "like," however.

Thank for the report. Sorry to hear the service was so so.

Bob,

Sue and I were on this sailing as well as the week before. Lawyerboy is right...the service generally was not up to RCI standards. With the exception of our room steward and our dining room staff on week 1, we found the service to be slow, and sometimes downright rude. This is something I have never experienced before, and I made sure to note it on my post-cruise survey.

I have never given a "0" before until this cruise.

Bob,

Sue and I were on this sailing as well as the week before. Lawyerboy is right...the service generally was not up to RCI standards. With the exception of our room steward and our dining room staff on week 1, we found the service to be slow, and sometimes downright rude. This is something I have never experienced before, and I made sure to note it on my post-cruise survey.

I have never given a "0" before until this cruise.

Thanks for the update. We're scheduled for Oasis this summer and I hope the service gets back to normal.

This is very different from our sailing a little over a year ago. And that sailing won me back over to Oasis as our previous sailing on that ship was a lot like what this one sounds like. There seems like a lot of inconsistency on this ship.

Either way, I dislike sailing out of Port Canaveral so I won't be back aboard for awhile.

I have to agree with Ocean Boy. We sailed Oasis last February and LOVED it. We were also in a Grand suite and loved it. What was your cabin number just out of curiosity.

The absolute best perk of being in a suite is disembarkation. You get to pass everyone that is waiting in line and walk off the ship. It was money well spent. We booked Allure for February 2018 because we loved oasis class so much and had to get the grand suite. Don't think I will ever be able to cruise without a grand suite. Sorry you did have a better experience.

Thank you to all for your reports/findings.

We sail on Oasis in 3+ weeks and will report back. We booked a sort-of-last minute balcony on deck 12. First sailing for my wife and I without any of the kids/grandkids.

mac_tlc

Hate to hear this. We were disappointed in the harmony crew and we're actually looking forward to getting back on the oasis. We sail on 3/26 in a grand suite so I am interested in your room number too.

I guess that blows the theory that Oasis's crew was cannibalized in order to staff Harmony.

We sailed 2/26 and had very good service. We commented to each other that everyone said hello and smiled. We were in a CLS and used Coastal Kitchen a lot. My only service complaint was getting a second cup of coffee at breakfast. I NEED my morning coffee and they were slow refilling the cup.

Sorry to hear of your cruise didn't live up to your expectations. We were on Oasis in December for Christmas and are sailing her again in June. We had no complaints in December; hope that we aren't disappointed in June.

We also just got off Oasis for the week of March 5-12th. Our cruise week went as expected with the exception of a hard-to-please MTD table mate, who was a royal PITA! Other than that, the food was very good (did not do specialty) and our MTD time of 6:30pm by the window was honored every night! Our room steward was excellent, so no problems there. A couple of waiters in the DL were getting ready to leave the ship for vacation and were anxious for a long break, which could be the reason for staff dissatisfaction, if March is a turn-around month. :rolleyes:

All in all, we had a very enjoyable cruise, so much that me and my 2 girlfriends booked a Jr suite for next February! I'm looking forward to dining in the Coastal Kitchen! Hope you all enjoy your upcoming cruises on Oasis and don't forget to smile, so peeps will smile back at you!!!:D

Just off Oasis from last week - quick thoughts here...we were in a Grand Suite,

Don't know if it was almost time for a lot of the crew to be changed out (if their contracts were almost up), if the top folks have been moved to other ships, or what exactly, but I would recommend Allure over Oasis ten times out of ten. Or, save your money and try Harmony/Symphony better yet.

We were on the Oasis weeks of Feb 26. Yes, there are a lot of crew leaving in the next few weeks. Federico, one of the Concierge left when we did on March 5 and a new one came on board ( a woman, don't know her name). Lots of the bar staff in the Suite lounge are leaving as well as the servers in CK. Probably many other crew in MDR, bars, and room stewards as well. I think a lot of the crew brought the Oasis up to PC in Nov so it's getting near time for vacation for them. They did a good job for us and I'm sorry to hear yours wasn't up to expectations. A stinky bathroom isn't helpful either..:eek:

Just off Oasis from last week - quick thoughts here...we were in a Grand Suite,

We were on the Oasis weeks of Feb 26. Yes, there are a lot of crew leaving in the next few weeks. Federico, one of the Concierge left when we did on March 5 and a new one came on board ( a woman, don't know her name). Lots of the bar staff in the Suite lounge are leaving as well as the servers in CK. Probably many other crew in MDR, bars, and room stewards as well. I think a lot of the crew brought the Oasis up to PC in Nov so it's getting near time for vacation for them. They did a good job for us and I'm sorry to hear yours wasn't up to expectations. A stinky bathroom isn't helpful either..:eek:

I believe you're referring to Beatrice, who replaced Frederico in the DL. She was very friendly and we talked with her a lot. She will be marrying Gabriel (mgr in dining services) in July, so don't know who her replacement will be.

Thank you to all for your reports/findings.

We sail on Oasis in 3+ weeks and will report back. We booked a sort-of-last minute balcony on deck 12. First sailing for my wife and I without any of the kids/grandkids.

mac_tlc

My wife and I did the Oasis in Oct 2013 and had a balcony on deck 12,a littke in the small sizem, even for two adults, but the ship was beautiful !! In fact, our cabin was stardboard side, deck 12 the fourth cabin from the back. We'd LOVE to sail her again, in a Grand suite:')

Mac

I was on the Feb 26 and March 5 sailings. My experience was entirely different. My room attendant was great and all the crew I came in contact with were polite, efficient and helpful. Food and service in the Coastal Kitchen were fantastic. Windjammer, Johnny Rockets and other casual eating venues were good. Like the ship, like the crew.

Oh dear... my family is spending a lot for our Oasis cruise in June (trying it over Disney to save cash but finding the final expenses to be almost as much) and we're already hesitant to do without Disney service. Troubled to hear the experience was so subpar on Oasis. I really don't want to feel like I should've saved our money.

Hi Bob--Sorry to hear this. We get on in 2 weeks and spent alot to be in the Grand Suite. We were hoping the special suite service would be over the top--sounds like not so much. A few questions for you--how do they give you the Zoom? Is it for each person, even my kids? Did you have most of your meals in the CK? We are on deck 11 so we'd have to go up to it often, but were planning to do so to be in a smaller atmosphere. Do they do cooked to order eggs for breakfast? Lastly, does the suite lounge have sodas/water/beer available during the day? Someone said they did but trying to make sure. Thanks.

Just off Oasis from last week - quick thoughts here...we were in a Grand Suite, and while Suite perks were nice, it's not worth many thousands more. We've sailed Oasis and Allure multiple times in the past, but not a single person stood out as deserving of a WOW Award this time. It was as though the best were already taken and put on Harmony, or perhaps Quantum class ships.

Food in dining room was maybe a tiny bit better than last time on the ships. Izumi Hibachi was fine, but expensive (consider a specialty restaurant package).

Cabin - for a Grand Suite, we were a little disappointed. Persistent bad smell in the cabin, which was even worse in bathroom. Although engineering tried to find the source in the wall (in bathroom), they could only alleviate the smell for a day or two. And of course, our sailing was sold out so no option for changing. Also, curtains in the room smelled like when you first turn the heat on for the winter. Odd description, but that was it exactly.

Weather wasn't great the first two days with strong winds, but it was windy season.

HIGHLY recommend Adventure Race (a.k.a. Amazing Race) tour in St. Maarten - you don't have to be super athletic at all to have lots of fun. Also we really enjoyed Stingray encounter in Nassau on Balmoral Island.

Lots of discussion on board about Symphony, but NextCruise deals weren't anything you couldn't get on land (except that you could get your future credit applied to the current cruise). No real incentive there.

I heard a LOT of people on board talking about how they preferred other ships and other cruise lines to this sailing on Oasis. That surprised me, as we've sailed Oasis multiple times in the past and loved it. This time, it was only a "like," however.

To answer some questions - it was Cabin 6660 (maybe I should have been more cautious of a cabin containing "666" in it). Seriously, if any of you are booked in 6660, I would consider changing to a different cabin on board. That cabin had a smell to it (not caused by us - LOL), curtain by balcony smelled like burnt hair or a heater, and bathroom smell returned (again, not due to us) by end of the week.

Voom - each of us (including a child) received a card at pier check-in with an access code. You'll turn on wifi on your iphone, select royal wifi and then a login screen appears. Choose your language preference and then select "Have an Access Code." Worked fine on my iphone 6, as well as laptop computer.

Coastal Kitchen - we didn't end up using it (I know, I know...) - dinner menus didn't do it for us there

Suite Lounge - Suite Concierges were GREAT, and yes, water and soft drinks were available all day. Not completely sure about beer.

A few other things - we are Diamond Plus, but remember Diamond and above gets 3 free drinks nightly from a limited menu.

PORT CANAVERAL tips and tricks - when you first arrive and drop your luggage at the pier, there is a LONG LINE just to even get inside the terminal. If you are Diamond/Diamond Plus/Pinnacle/Suite Guest, you can bypass that line - ask several porters and they'll show you exactly where to go. Once inside, there is a separate security line for Suite Guests and Diamond and above guests. Then, once you get upstairs for check-in and to get your card, there is again a separate line for Suite Guests and Diamond and above. Unlike Ft Lauderdale, the expedited lines really were much better. Also, as another poster on here mentioned, getting off the ship does have its benefits as a Suite Guest. You can bypass the on board line to exist the Royal Promenade (stay to the very far right hand side) if you're a Suite Guest. Then, once off the ship, look for the Suite Guest line to leave - from leaving cabin to being outside the terminal was a total of 15 minutes or less. Then again, we did Luggage Valet (free for Suite Guests, but we would have paid the $25 per person - SO MUCH BETTER!)

Oh - forgot to mention - sometime brought up Johnny Rockets. You're going for the atmosphere there (burgers were fine). But good grief the service was INCREDIBLY slow for lunch/at off times. RCI needs to add a server or two, because there simply weren't enough people there. Sabor - we really enjoyed - once correct server came over, it went relatively quickly, even with restaurant at capacity.

Sabor - speaking of, here's a tip. If you have already seen Oasis of Dreams Aqua show, but want the atmosphere of the Aqua THeater show while dining, there's a table in the far left hand side of Sabor (if you're facing the restaurant) - it's practically under a TV. You'll be able to see at least some of the Oasis of Dreams show from that table (the stuff happening in the air and from the high dives, anyway).