$7.95 Room Service Charge

The two comments are talking about different sentiments.

• You were talking about the sentiments they were relaying to others. You made it clear that you thought those people were lying about being dissatisfied and were just bloviating out of proportion to their true grievances.
  • The sentiments in my statements are those that those people are relaying to themselves: "This cruise line will satisfy me. It's offering me what I want. I'm willing to accept these terms and conditions because I'll be happy with the experience." It sure does seem like a lot of people are lying to themselves when they say such things to themselves.

Now: Why do those people do that to themselves? We could speculate. I suspect part of the answer is money - the lack of enough of it to afford what those folks actually want. The other part would therefore be an unwillingness to adjust their expectations to match what they can afford.

Money might play a factor but I'm pretty sure it's the principle. Seems lately every time we are about to go on a cruise something changes.

NCL stopped allowing people to bring on water and started charging for room service about 2 months before we were to go on.

Rccl now with room service. I don't know about rccl before with popcorn but charging $2 now seems silly. It may have changed on princess but we used to swing by muts and grab some popcorn before going to bed. ....free.

Just gets annoying after awhile. We started cruising a little over 10 years ago and you can see the changes.

Will it stop me from cruising, no. Does it get annoying fast, yes.

And to the other poster that talked about the 24 hour pub on ncl is right, that was pretty good. One of our favorite late night before bed snack places

I've never been a fan of room service - except for the early morning breakfast when you have an excursion. I would rather go and choose my own food and bring it back to the room.

I understand though that people who like the service will be upset by this change (if as suggested it goes fleet wide).

So, one can go to Buffet breakfast and bring the tray to eat on our balcony?

Edited by twonpcb

Money might play a factor but I'm pretty sure it's the principle.
A "principle" that's solely self ratified and inconsistent with the promises that were actually made. So the only effect of such principle being agitating one's self. Principle is perhaps best left for things that really matter, like life and death, health and employment, social justice, etc.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

A "principle" that's solely self ratified and inconsistent with the promises that were actually made. So the only effect of such principle being agitating one's self. Principle is perhaps best left for things that really matter, like life and death, health and employment, social justice, etc.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

It's unfortunate that you cannot even concede that people might not be happy with the changes in the industry. I understand your perspective but you are unwilling to understand other peoples.

Have a lovely day.

It's unfortunate that you cannot even concede that people might not be happy with the changes in the industry. I understand your perspective but you are unwilling to understand other peoples.

Have a lovely day.

His/her quote says it all....."Sour people suffer sour lives."

bUU It is in their signature.

Can't believe this thread is still going......;)

Oh okay, sorry the device I'm using right now doesn't allow me to see signatures :)

Thread might die down but it's good for people to express how they feel either way. It's also good to understand different perspectives and agree to disagree sometimes. Her/his reply was one of those moments; if you keep hitting your head against a wall it just hurts more lol!

Hope everyone enjoys their next cruise and happy planning!

cruising grandma, I hope you have a great rest of the day and 2017 [emoji93]

It's unfortunate that you cannot even concede that people might not be happy with the changes in the industry.
Nonsense. I've regularly said as much in those specific words. There is a difference between being unhappy and being badly treated.

I understand your perspective
Evidently not.

but you are unwilling to understand other peoples.
Understand other people's what? Their unhappiness? Their dissatisfaction? I've regularly cited as much in those specific words, so clearly I understand.

Their claims of unjust treatment? When valid I definitely understand such, such as earlier in this thread when I stated how those who are beyond final payment should not be subject to the new fee. I even said yesterday that I think that considerations should be made for those whose cruises are as much as three or six months after the change was announced. Beyond those grievances, grievances that I've not only understood but even tacitly supported, what valid claim has been lodged? Again, there is a difference between being unhappy and being badly treated.

On the bright side, maybe the new $7.95 service charge will cut way back on a couple of my pet peeves. First is the "trash" in the hallways. This bugs me not only on the ships but in resort hotels as well. I could never understand why finished trays would sit in the hallways for hours on end. Have seen the same trays sitting in the hall at 10-11pm and see it still sitting there at 5-6am. Gross. The second is the amount of waste. Bad enough I have to avoid the garbage in the halls but then to see how much is wasted...... I know it's not really my business but it troubles me all the same.

Nonsense. I've regularly said as much in those specific words. There is a difference between being unhappy and being badly treated.

Evidently not.

Understand other people's what? Their unhappiness? Their dissatisfaction? I've regularly cited as much in those specific words, so clearly I understand.

Their claims of unjust treatment? When valid I definitely understand such, such as earlier in this thread when I stated how those who are beyond final payment should not be subject to the new fee. I even said yesterday that I think that considerations should be made for those whose cruises are as much as three or six months after the change was announced. Beyond those grievances, grievances that I've not only understood but even tacitly supported, what valid claim has been lodged? Again, there is a difference between being unhappy and being badly treated.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on the subject. Your disagreement does not mean anyone else is wrong. It only means you have a different perspective. All opinions are valid. You do come off as not grasping other points of view when you dismiss it as invalid, this is easy to see in this and other threads.

A skilled, seasoned debater can make the point for the other side. If they can't, they are going to lose the debate. If they refuse to recognize validity the debate has been lost already. Debate prep 101...

Your points shift often enough to suggest you understand other points of view, you just are unwilling to lend them credence because you believe yourself to be the only one that is right. We are discussing opinions, you can be no more right or wrong than anyone else. That's how an opinion works.

Please excuse any typos, coffee intake in process.

On the bright side, maybe the new $7.95 service charge will cut way back on a couple of my pet peeves. First is the "trash" in the hallways. This bugs me not only on the ships but in resort hotels as well. I could never understand why finished trays would sit in the hallways for hours on end. Have seen the same trays sitting in the hall at 10-11pm and see it still sitting there at 5-6am. Gross. The second is the amount of waste. Bad enough I have to avoid the garbage in the halls but then to see how much is wasted...... I know it's not really my business but it troubles me all the same.

On the second point, I would think it would exacerbate the problem. If people have to pay they may say "hmm, throw in a plate of XYZ too, maybe we'll try a bite".

If wastage was a concern the menu would probably move to a la carte charges. That is a possibility if wastage becomes a real problem.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on the subject.
I said that. Are you no longer reading the comments to which you reply?

All opinions are valid.
Correct, but not all comments are opinions. The ones we're talking about imply facts that are demonstrably false.

You do come off as not grasping other points of view when you dismiss it as invalid, this is easy to see in this and other threads.
Nonsense. You just don't like the distinctions I highlight between matters of opinion and matters that are objective and demonstrable fact, and so you try to make it sound like something else. Why do you choose to go thread to thread trying to brow beat away comments that don't fit with your personal preference? The comment to which you replied asked specifically, "Beyond those grievances, grievances that I've not only understood but even tacitly supported, what valid claim has been lodged?" Why not answer that question instead of trying to drive the discussion off onto a self-indulgent tangent?

The ones we're talking about imply facts that are demonstrably false.

Please highlight them. I see you dismissing people's opinions as invalid. You claim you are dismissing demonstrably false facts. Two educated people see this very differently. Make your case.

Please highlight them.
I did. See above. In this case we were talking about whether promises were made that were broken. I made the point that no promises made were explicitly broken. That's not a matter of opinion. Either there were explicit promises made or there weren't. What proof do you have of promises made in regard to this matter?

I see you dismissing people's opinions as invalid.
Then you're simply not paying attention to what I'm posting, which seems to be your preference. What good comes from ignoring what what I'm posting and simply reacting to the fact that I'm posting?

200_s.gif

is it about that time?

I can see your point. When posters just are posting personal attacks on other posters instead of discussing the topic, then it surely does seem like the thread has run its course.

What good comes from ignoring what what I'm posting and simply reacting to the fact that I'm posting?

I'm not reacting to the fact that you are posting, I'm reacting to your varying stances on the topic, all while dismissing other opinions as invalid because you believe you are the one that is solely right. Not everyone here is attempting to run the economic side of a vacation business, some have reactions as guests expecting a certain experience. Throwing contract clauses in their face isn't going to get them to say 'Yes, bUU, you are right, and I clearly am wrong". That is because opinions aren't always based on concrete facts, but also formed based on emotional reactions and expectations based on past experiences. So, yes, you can be right about the contract wording, but you can't tell someone what they feel is wrong.

I feel that people who made final payment and then had this change placed on them were "duped". That's my opinion. You feel this opinion is invalid because you can point to a contract that says they have the right to do this. I don't dispute that they have a right to do this, but I still believe those that made final payment should have been excluded from the change and I can easily understand why they may feel duped.

You must be able to consider facts and opinions holistically. I'm quite certain you are capable to do so. Just as certain as you are that the rest of us are incapable...

When multiple people respond to expand on a point, and they all feel you aren't understanding the point, and tell you as much, that is not a personal attack. I view it as a healthy invitation to further discussion, but best to be based on the same grounding points.

Edited by LMaxwell