Pearl/SeaTac Question

Airline flight change; not by choice, but dealing with it.

We are coming back to Seattle port on the Pearl on June 4th. Based on prior threads, I think it is Pier 66. Our flight out of SeaTac is now 11:05 a.m. on the 4th.

Assuming it is a Sunday (light traffic) and we self-assist, can we make the flight?

Are taxis readily available at this port without much wait? Or should we arrange a car?

Also, any experience with customs wait times at this port? We would get a porter if that would speed things up ... assuming time is going to be a factor ... the porters seem to be able to get through customs faster. Thoughts?

Yes, I know 11 is cutting it close, but we've had success with POM to MIA and early flights. However, Seattle is new to us.

Thanks

Can't answer your question about the port, but which airline, how big was the schedule change, and have you pushed back on the schedule change? Most of the mainline carriers will waive change fees and even some fare differences if a schedule change by them impacts other travel plans. How much they can / will do for you varies by the length of the change, your status (if any) with the carrier, and what sort of rebooking (or refund) you're asking for.

The last time I did a cruise to Alaska on The Jewel, The Customs Agents were standing just off the ship on the top level of the terminal.

This year the terminal is undergoing renovations, so I am not sure how that will work.

There will be lots of cabs waiting for you curbside. 15-20 minute ride depending on road construction and traffic. If you do "Easy Walk Off", you should be fine.

Enjoy

We are coming back to Seattle port on the Pearl on June 4th. Based on prior threads, I think it is Pier 66. Our flight out of SeaTac is now 11:05 a.m. on the 4th.

Assuming it is a Sunday (light traffic) and we self-assist, can we make the flight?

Are taxis readily available at this port without much wait? Or should we arrange a car?

Also, any experience with customs wait times at this port? We would get a porter if that would speed things up ... assuming time is going to be a factor ... the porters seem to be able to get through customs faster. Thoughts?

Yes, I know 11 is cutting it close, but we've had success with POM to MIA and early flights. However, Seattle is new to us.

Thanks

Flights from Seatac are dicey before 12:00 . The pier is an hour or so from the pier . Morning traffic can a zoo. Seatac is also know long lines for security. That said you probably can make it but have a back up plan in case you don't.

I always ask "What time does the cruise line recommend ?"

Seattle traffic in general is horrid. I-5 is crazy, and the airport is south of seattle. perhaps not an hour from the pier, but a solid 30-40 minutes assuming no, etc.

we just booked our return flight this a.m. we contemplated a 10:50 a.m. on Southwest, and played it safe and went with a 330 on Alaska (we have to go to Boston).

Any thoughts on the lines for TSA pre-check?

I live in Portland so may not have as much experience with SeaTac as some on here. But I do remember flying on a Sunday out of SeaTac and there were terrible lines for TSA pre-check (which I am). Don't know how typical it is. I don't think anyone missed their flight; I remember them jumping some folks forward who were cutting it close.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seattle traffic in general is horrid. I-5 is crazy, and the airport is south of seattle. perhaps not an hour from the pier, but a solid 30-40 minutes assuming no, etc.

we just booked our return flight this a.m. we contemplated a 10:50 a.m. on Southwest, and played it safe and went with a 330 on Alaska (we have to go to Boston).

Bostongal when is your sailing?

Any thoughts on the lines for TSA pre-check?

Last year we stayed an extra night post cruise and flew home on July 4th. The regular security line had 200 to 250 people and as we approached the pre-check podium the people before us were clearing the x-ray machines. So by the time we got there there was nobody there.

According to the TSA website in Feb 2017 97% of pre-check passengers were screened in 5 min or less.

Don't forget as had been mentioned in other posts at SeaTac you can go through any security check point. So if you find one with a huge line another one may have no one in it.

We have done this cruise five times.

I am an extraordinarily cautious person who would never book a close flight, but based on past experience, I think you will be okay.

If it is possible for you to do carryon only that will help, you will be the first group off the ship.

Yes, Seatle traffic is nuts' but it is a Sunday and you are outbound

My one piece of advice is CARRY ON ONLY. I do it every trip, you can do it. Good luck.

I second calling the airline and seeing what flights you could switch to. Alaska changed our flights, one was better, one was awful. (Come to think of it, I think that was a fairly early Sunday morning flight too.) Anyway, I told the rep that wasn't going to work for us and asked what else she had. I was on the Alaska site while we were talking and she and I came up with the same flight moments later. ;) Now we are back on a mid-afternoon flight which will give us time around Pike Place and comfortably early airport arrival.

Bostongal when is your sailing?

we dont sail until September 2nd (Jewel), but i had $196 worth of "wallet" funds to use on Alaska that expire in a few weeks. we have not yet booked our outbound flight which will be on Jet Blue (free bags yay!).

I live across the street from the NCL terminal in Seattle. I would leave (Uber, taxi, or private car) 2 hours before the flight time on a Sunday and would have no problem making the flight. Actually, I would leave 2 hours on a weekday as well but need to follow the traffic report to decide to take SR99 or I5. If you do easy walk off you will be fine.

Thanks

We have done this cruise several times, always booking flights around noon. Never had a single problem getting to the airport in plenty of time, and that's not even doing first walk-off. We have done both cabs (Plenty available) and pre-arranged car service.

Porters have absolutely nothing to do with getting you through customs faster or slower. You will get through as quickly or as slowly as the ICE officer wants you to.

Alaska will change flights for Free if you are 60 or more days out. That is no hassle or fee if you booked direct and not thru Expedia etc.... third parties may still have a change fee, Alaska does not. Less than 60 days it's $125

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would have no issue making this flight. BUT, what is your travel style? Are you organized, know the details of managing your routine efficiently? Pretty automatic with what you have to do, where you have to go?

Sorry to say, I say people "looking " for gates, don't know the procedures security etc. This wastes time at every step. I see people who can't manage the kiosk check in procedures or bag drop offs. Finally, the over loaded packers, hauling who knows what. :)

I simply have no problem with walk off, walk up to West Lake, via elevator, then via Pike (not Pine) and can get to Seatac with the light rail, Sound Transit. in about an hour leaving the ship.

I am not the typical however, so not recommending this. Another example, after a cruise, out of Miami in January, I made a 8:25a flight. :)

I would have no issue making this flight. BUT, what is your travel style? Are you organized, know the details of managing your routine efficiently? Pretty automatic with what you have to do, where you have to go?

Sorry to say, I say people "looking " for gates, don't know the procedures security etc. This wastes time at every step. I see people who can't manage the kiosk check in procedures or bag drop offs. Finally, the over loaded packers, hauling who knows what. :)

I simply have no problem with walk off, walk up to West Lake, via elevator, then via Pike (not Pine) and can get to Seatac with the light rail, Sound Transit. in about an hour leaving the ship.

I am not the typical however, so not recommending this. Another example, after a cruise, out of Miami in January, I made a 8:25a flight. :)

Thanks, BQ - that is reassuring. I am pretty anal with a good dose of Army-instilled "point A to point B" when traveling - my wife calls it my "travel mode."

Concerning other comments, I appreciate thoughts and suggestions about changing to a more accommodating flight. We are on American and they have really been rearranging flights post-merger. We originally were going through Philadelphia both outbound and inbound, but they have changed both flights to eliminate Philadelphia.

The alternatives were to fly the next day or take red eye flights that basically arrived the next day. We are going to roll the dice on this one.

Thanks, BQ - that is reassuring. I am pretty anal with a good dose of Army-instilled "point A to point B" when traveling - my wife calls it my "travel mode."

Concerning other comments, I appreciate thoughts and suggestions about changing to a more accommodating flight. We are on American and they have really been rearranging flights post-merger. We originally were going through Philadelphia both outbound and inbound, but they have changed both flights to eliminate Philadelphia.

The alternatives were to fly the next day or take red eye flights that basically arrived the next day. We are going to roll the dice on this one.

American departs from the end of D concourse. You will want to use the security checkpoints on the side nearest to the main Alaska Airlines checkin area.

As you clear security, preferably checkpoint 5, D concourse is the farthest right Arm of Seatac.

I have done SeaTac many times and barring a complete disaster, you will not have any problem making this flight at all. If you can, self-disembark with your luggage in the first group. Take a taxi or uber to the airport. If you are Pre-Check (Trusted traveler or first class) it will help. Otherwise, just be ready to go through security.

June 4th is still 2-1/2 months away. I wonder if they will have rearranged flights again by then. If you don't want to chance your current flight (and personally, I wouldn't, because I HATE rushing and worrying about whether I will make the flight), then you could keep checking American's website and call if/when you see a later but still convenient flight. This will probably also involve arguing that you shouldn't have to pay a change fee since THEY cancelled your original flght and THEY changed you to your current one.

Sounds stressful to me after a relaxing cruise. If you can arrange it, take the time to enjoy Seattle and fly out the next day. Lots to see and do here in just one day. Check out Sound Transit to get you to the airport, if you can manage your own luggage. It's a quick, direct ride to the airport that the locals use from downtown.